Please login or register

Grey Havens (World Builder & Game Mods)
Moderated by Sir Hugh, Blatant

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Mapmaking Contest - Battle of the World Builders
posted 07-04-06 12:25 PM EDT (US)   

BFME2 Heaven proudly presents a multiplayer skirmish World Builder contest, with the 1st place prize donated by Sideshow Collectibles. The goal is to create a location from either the Tolkien books or the LOTR movies. You can remain faithful to how a place is depicted in the movies, or you can use your imagination and create a scene from the books, as you have it pictured in your mind. Maps will be judged on the usual rating categories: playability, balance, creativity, map design, and story/instructions.

Playability:
The map must be multiplayer, and playable by at least two players. Judging will focus on playability; the map should support normal gameplay and not hinder the players' experience. You can construct a storyline, add additional candies (such as a feature to call reinforcements). However, the map should be basically a skirmish map, playable as Multiplayer without constraints.

Balance:
Balance is a very important issue. The game shouldn’t overly favor one location on the map, i.e. all players should have a chance. If you have a fortified city, you can balance it by having fewer defenders than attackers, as seen in the Helm’s Deep map.

Map Design:
An important aspect of this competition is the Map Design. Maps should recreate a location from Tolkien’s books or the Lord of the Rings movies. Not only will this condition be necessary, map design will also affect the rating of the map. The better the design, the better the result.

Creativity:
The best maps have something that is never expected: something that leaves the player awed. Even if several people choose the same location for their map, we would expect the results to all be different – be creative!

Story:
You have several options for the story. You can write a new story based in the location depicted in your map; you can describe the history of the place as gleaned from the writings of Tolkien; or you can relate an event that took place there in the movies or books. However, there's no necessity for a story-line. In case your map is a simple skirmish, then story will not be required (though you should still include *something* for this category, i.e. a description of the location or instructions). Instructions will be taken into consideration, especially if the map contains unusual elements (such as a facility to call reinforcements).

Rules
  • The contest begins July 4th. Deadline for submissions is 11:59 p.m. forum time (EST) August 31st.
  • Entries should be sent in a zip file to kester@heavengames.com.
  • Multiple submissions are accepted, but no one can win more than one prize.
  • Maps must be original, not derived from EA's game maps or the works of others.
  • Entries must be new and not previously submitted.
  • Game modifications are allowed, though the focus is on creating a location with the World Builder.

Siege Tower Troll Maquette
    Prizes
    1st place: Siege Tower Troll Maquette donated by Sideshow Collectibles* & $30 Amazon gift certificate
    2nd place: $30 Amazon gift certificate
    3rd place: $20 Amazon gift certificate

Good luck and have fun!

*Disclaimer from Sideshow Collectibles

Delivery for the contest winner:
    The winner must allow 4-6 weeks after announcement of win to receive the product. To get the latest news from Sideshow Collectibles, join our Newsletter!

Delivery time & Restrictions:
    All continental US orders are shipped FedEx ground service. Because FedEx cannot provide tracking numbers for P.O. Boxes, Sideshow Collectibles will no longer ship to a P.O. Box. Please provide your street address or your shipment will be delayed. For FedEx Ground deliveries, please allow up to 6 business days for delivery from the date your order is shipped.

International Shipping Restrictions:
    At this time we are unable to make shipments to Mexico, Venezuela or Indonesia. Please href="http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=shipping">Click Here for further international shipping information and restrictions.

All taxes are the responsibility of the winner. All prizes are non-transferable, with no cash redemptions and/or substitutions except at Sponsor's sole discretion. All international winners will be responsible for any duties, tariffs, taxes or import fees assessed to their prize. Further some countries outside of the U.S. do not have reliable mail services. In the event that a prize has been stolen or mishandled during shipment to an international destination, Sideshow may not be able to replace the specific item and will substitute a prize at its own discretion. If the winner prefers a specific quicker shipping method, they are responsible to notify us immediately and will also be responsible to cover the additional costs if any.

.-•°•-.-• Kester •-.-•°•-.
    •-.-•°•-.-• deviations .-•°•-. flickr .-•°•-. gamertag •-.-•°•-.-•
    .-•°•-.-• if (Kester.says("Zen! Get online")) { zen.status("online") } •-.-•°•-.

[This message has been edited by Kester (edited 08-08-2006 @ 12:43 PM).]

Replies:
posted 07-08-06 03:44 PM EDT (US)     1 / 20  
Good luck everyone!

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 07-09-06 03:17 PM EDT (US)     2 / 20  
Hmm. I'll consider entering.

Whoa.
posted 07-10-06 01:28 AM EDT (US)     3 / 20  
Im in

[This message has been edited by jbv3737 (edited 07-23-2006 @ 03:03 PM).]

posted 07-10-06 12:49 PM EDT (US)     4 / 20  
I might submit my 1vs1 Coliseum map, if I manage to make it look like an actual place in Middle-Earth and add some story to it.

~-,-
~/`4:20
posted 08-17-06 06:38 PM EDT (US)     5 / 20  
is it allowed to add heavy scripted maps?

i think i am in, and i hope i get 2th place,
but i will work more in this contest if its allowed to make what i asked about above...

{ISTARI PRODUCTIONS} member
SCRIPTER-MAPPER-INIWRITER
the 1st place on the contest will never be me when jbv is here xD
posted 08-17-06 07:41 PM EDT (US)     6 / 20  
Yes, they can be heavily scripted.

.-•°•-.-• if (Kester.says("Zen! Get online")) { zen.status("online") } •-.-•°•-.
posted 08-18-06 06:38 AM EDT (US)     7 / 20  
good for me xD

posted 08-18-06 09:47 AM EDT (US)     8 / 20  
I should add (and I'll email you in case you don't see this) - heavily scripted is ok as long as it's still a MP skirmish map.

posted 08-18-06 10:30 AM EDT (US)     9 / 20  
yeh, i know.

posted 09-19-06 12:39 PM EDT (US)     10 / 20  
The judging is complete, and we have a winner in the contest!

First place is "The Battle for the Mines" by Maxime Chevalier.

Second place is "Aqualonde" by TFlame.

Third place is "The Great Desert of Harad" by JBV.

Congratulations to the winners, and thanks to everyone who entered!

Thanks also to the judges (Aeneas2, Lady Arcola, Suicidal Scotsman, and me)!

[This message has been edited by Kester (edited 09-19-2006 @ 12:40 PM).]

posted 09-19-06 01:07 PM EDT (US)     11 / 20  
Congratulations everyone!

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 09-19-06 02:05 PM EDT (US)     12 / 20  
Grats guys! Thanks also to guys who took part!

Scrat Master
BFME2H Replay Reviewer

DO NOT CLICK
posted 09-19-06 04:00 PM EDT (US)     13 / 20  
Do we get to play these maps, is there a place where we can download them?

This is not my post, as you are the people who own the site and are going to read it so really it is your post.

This is not a post at all, as posts have to provide a sturdy foundation for a fence, this does not. it is a gate masquerading as a post.

So really this gate masquerading as a post is completely pointless!!

posted 09-19-06 11:37 PM EDT (US)     14 / 20  
The mapmakers will be soon uploading them to the site. JBV has already put his online.

posted 09-20-06 05:58 PM EDT (US)     15 / 20  
Hi everyone !

The map "Battle for The Mine" will be uploaded this week end.
I did this map with one of my friend. And he is currently working on it, in order to finish it.

The map I've sent could be call "ver. 0.7" because it misses some textures. This week end, I'll upload the "final version 1.0" with all the correct textures.
(it's a detail but my friend want to fix it... ^_^)

I'm sorry to make you waiting... (in two days it'll be ok)

And.... I'M REALLY HAPPY TO JOIN BFME II HEAVEN ^^ Yahoooo !

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind killer.
posted 09-20-06 07:04 PM EDT (US)     16 / 20  
all the map makers?

static void Main()
{
Console.WriteLine("I love C#, Wolves, Komodos, and Supreme Commander." ) ;
Console.WriteLine("Press any key to end program." ) ;
Console.ReadLine() ;
}
posted 09-26-06 08:27 AM EDT (US)     17 / 20  
The 'Battle for the mine' map was uploaded.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind killer.
posted 09-30-06 01:18 AM EDT (US)     18 / 20  
well this isnt from any of the books but i was wondering if it would be possible to create a chess like map.
like scripting in things so like it is turn based and like for the good side, u have soldiers as pawns and u script it so they only can move 1 spot at a time and they can attk only diagonaly and like the same thing for ork pawns on the other side. the 'knights' for good would be rohirrim and evil would be warg riders and script so they can only move in an 'L' shape. the rooks would be catapults for both teams of each kind and they can be scripted to only move straight for any distance.
the bishops for good and evil would be spearmen from gondor for good and uruk pikes for evil. they would be scriped to move any distance diagonaly. the king for good would be either isildur or elrond and scripted to move any direction for 1 square. the good queen would be galadrieal, howeever u spell it, amd can be scripted to move any direction and any distance. the evi king and queen scripted accordingly but the king is sauron and the queen shelob or something cause there isnt any evil women in the game. maybe the witch king unmounted.

anyways if it is ppossible i think it would be an awsome map.

-jarthtwo(jarth in the game)

posted 10-03-06 05:00 PM EDT (US)     19 / 20  
WHOA: But it may be possible. (if so, just barely) That would take so much scripting that it would make anyone's head burst. No one would do it. (IDEA: you could heavily mod a chess game, and it would be slightly easier)
posted 10-04-06 04:04 PM EDT (US)     20 / 20  

Quoted from Ancalagon_4554:

No one would do it.

I've already started!

The board is set... pieces are moving...*

*I thought I'd better make that joke before someone beat me to it.

~ Signature closed for refurbishment ~

BILL POSTERS WILL BE PROSECUTED

[This message has been edited by QuantumMechanic (edited 10-04-2006 @ 04:06 PM).]

Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » Grey Havens (World Builder & Game Mods) » Mapmaking Contest - Battle of the World Builders
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames