You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Library of Minas Tirith (LOTR Discussions)
Moderated by Lady Arcola, Blatant

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.40 replies
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » The Library of Minas Tirith (LOTR Discussions) » How powerful were wizards, really?
Bottom
Topic Subject:How powerful were wizards, really?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Tolkien
Dúnadan
posted 11-21-07 08:59 PM EDT (US)         
Wizards, as they are called, are Maiar, and were sent to Middle Earth to help defeat Sauron. Now, most will say that they are very powerful.

I disagree.

We can tell from passages in the book that Wizards are quite weak without their staffs. It was the staffs that had the power, not the Wizard. Gandalf broke Saruman's staff, Saruman took Gandalf's staff, rendering him powerless, Saruman wants the rods fo the five wizards. The power resides in the staff, not the wizard, obviously. What are your thoughts on this?

Tolkien
The True Lord of the Rings
AuthorReplies:
Murrogh
Dúnadan
posted 11-25-07 00:46 AM EDT (US)     26 / 40       
Then again you should know better than him.

"The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever.
- Isaiah 40:8 -
Tolkien
Dúnadan
posted 11-25-07 00:51 AM EDT (US)     27 / 40       
Oh, curses. I hate being dead. It makes you forget so much.

Tolkien
Murrogh
Dúnadan
posted 11-25-07 09:03 AM EDT (US)     28 / 40       
Ah...

Catabre
BFME2H Replay Reviewer - Library Guildsman
posted 11-29-07 01:24 PM EDT (US)     29 / 40       
lol. BTW how much power (if any) was in Saruman's ring?

"Apparently, arguing for the right to do something no-one wants to do is the lifeblood of HG." - TaylorFlame

"Whatever happened, BFME2H did it better. No Exceptions." - EnemyofJupitor
Tolkien
Dúnadan
posted 11-29-07 07:39 PM EDT (US)     30 / 40       
We don't know, but I would expect to have some power, as it was a Ring of Power, according to Tolkien. Power enough to create the goblin men, perhaps?

Tolkien
Murrogh
Dúnadan
posted 11-29-07 07:55 PM EDT (US)     31 / 40       
Like Arvi says, all we know is that he made one.

Pulkit
Dúnadan
posted 05-08-08 03:41 AM EDT (US)     32 / 40       
Interesting topic.

I just, sometimes, feel that all the hype of mythical and magical phenomena is an exaggeration created by bored housewives and children.
Like the magicians of old times, who were believed by lowly citizens as true wizards (but who actually used publicly unknown scientific phenomena to perform magic tricks).

Gandalf might as well be an old man, with a staff to keep him straight. All he knew was leadership and management. And some science.

Maybe he used a mirror to reflect the sunlight into the flying Nazgul on the Pelennor Fields (AFAIK the clouds of Mordor hadn't reached by then).

He fought the Balrog without a staff. Possibly, there was a real storm on top of the mountain, that struck the Balrog (some sort of electrical conductance - Gandalf's metallic sword might have been involved somewhere).

The Order of the Wizards could be a cult of old magicians, performing magic tricks using fireworks. After all, how much of their supposed power do we witness? In any case, they were known and consulted for their wisdom, primarily.

Tales of Middle-Earth | Don't miss it
Arvedui
Messiah of Fail
(id: ashwin13)
posted 05-08-08 06:17 PM EDT (US)     33 / 40       
But they were also one of the original Powers created by Eru, and they lived for more than 2000 years. As a plus point, Gandalf came back to life.

"Arvy is randomly full of win." - Skarr
|
"I don't watch cartoons, those are for third class people." - Arvy
"Yeah, children, those third class people." - Sails
And because I bet Blatant he wouldn't be orange in two days and lost... HEIL BLATANT!
Pulkit
Dúnadan
posted 05-08-08 10:08 PM EDT (US)     34 / 40       
Or, he never really died. He was just exhausted, and lay on top of the mountain for rescue.
He could have had a dream/out-of-body experience during that time.

Tales of Middle-Earth | Don't miss it
Arvedui
Messiah of Fail
(id: ashwin13)
posted 05-08-08 11:55 PM EDT (US)     35 / 40       
But it wouldn't account for the fact that he suddenly had more power. Or for the fact that he lived for 2000 years and most likely more.

"Arvy is randomly full of win." - Skarr
|
"I don't watch cartoons, those are for third class people." - Arvy
"Yeah, children, those third class people." - Sails
And because I bet Blatant he wouldn't be orange in two days and lost... HEIL BLATANT!
Murrogh
Dúnadan
posted 05-09-08 04:39 PM EDT (US)     36 / 40       
How do you know he had more power?

If he was just an old man though there are a few problems. First off as Arvy said, his age. Secondly, when he first met them after moria, legolas's arrow burning midair, the axe springing out of hand and sword turning red hot would be hard to do. Then there's a host of unexplainable things he did in the hobbit.

[This message has been edited by Murrogh (edited 05-10-2008 @ 10:13 AM).]

TBK145
Dúnadan
posted 05-10-08 04:19 AM EDT (US)     37 / 40       
Wizards have never exist.

TBK_-_iDrug
"Because sometimes your posts seem to imply that you're a little high?" - RCM
"And sometimes "a little" is an understatement ;p ..." - Kyr
"I think TBK's subtly trying to tell us he does, but 'legally.' " - Norm
"Or maybe "slightly" illegal" - RCM
"Are you on drugs?" - Gamerrici
Aesperus
Dúnadan
posted 04-13-09 02:36 PM EDT (US)     38 / 40       
Here's an interesting thought that occured to me:

If Sauron, a maiar, poured his power into the ring wouldn't that mean that the staff is imbued with the power of the wielder? I mean if the books say that he poured his power into it then doesn't that prove that the staffs aren't the only source of the power?

We all have a choice, so make yours wisely. If its wrong then make the best out of it.
Flash Of Fire
Dúnadan
posted 09-25-09 11:47 AM EDT (US)     39 / 40       
Gandalf has a wand too. Read the Hobbit.

Halo 4 ever!
JDmino
Dúnadan
posted 10-02-09 02:21 AM EDT (US)     40 / 40       
The Wizards themselves had powers, which they called from the "Ilúvatar" also known as the "Secret Fire" or "Fire Imperishable", which lies in the heart of Eru. I was this fire that created all living things and allowed them to have free will. That was the reason why Melkor could not create his own creatures but only make mockery creatures, the orcs, of Eru's Men and Elves. The wizards also have greater physical and mental power then Men and Elves.

Edit:
r, he never really died. He was just exhausted, and lay on top of the mountain for rescue.
He could have had a dream/out-of-body experience during that time.
He really died, it was beyond the power of the Valar to restore him. It was the Ilúvatar in Eru that brought him back. While he was dead his soul was stuck in time.

The lord of all living beings, holder of the Ilúvatar
~My Heavens~
AoMH
SpH
DoFH
Also, I am here.

[This message has been edited by JDmino (edited 10-02-2009 @ 02:23 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames