You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Grey Havens (World Builder & Game Mods)
Moderated by Sir Hugh, Blatant

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.171 replies, Sticky
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » Grey Havens (World Builder & Game Mods) » Want to Learn INI?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Want to Learn INI?
« Previous Page  1 ··· 4 5 6 7  Next Page »
MR ANCALAGON
Dúnadan
(id: Ancalagon_4554)
posted 01-29-07 08:07 PM EDT (US)         
Ask your questions here: I'll be happy to answer them. This is like the question thread, except that it's solely for INI, and the answers will be in tutorials, which are longer. Ask me an INI question. I may start by giving a mini-tutorial.

Also, please specify in your questions if this is for a mod or a mod map.

Thanks to Kester for the sticky!

Q&A

Wait, so what is this topic about?
This is about modifying BFME2, or at least some aspects.

What do you mean?
Well, basically, this topic is about coding for the game: anything related to that.

Sounds hard...
Well, it is, but once you know what to look for, and how everything's related, it gets easier.

What is ini?
The game keeps its data in files called BIG files. Basically, they compress the data within it. We're looking at the INI.big file, which contains hundreds of files. Every file in that big file ends in INI, which is the format the game uses. There are some files that end in INC, but we won't have to worry about that.
What can ini do?
Well, it can do a lot. It can add new powers to units, cause buildings to spawn specific units, and most of the things used in the game. However, ini is by no means a magical language in which everything is possible.
What's an ini file?
It's an initialization file, to be exact. It tells the game all of the information about a specific object, its modules, etc.

What's an object? And how do I get started?
I'm making tutorials right now. If you ever have a specific question, ask it on this topic. I'll be happy to help.

About Coding

In the next few weeks or so, I'll be putting up tutorials as people need them, but I'll start with object-oriented programming as it relates to BFME2.

The game's code is basically a collection of objects. Some objects do some things, and some do others. Some are buildings, and some are units. Let's start with Boromir.Object GondorBoromirBasically, all this does is tell the game that there is an object named GondorBoromir. There is nothing special about this object, except that we can call it GondorBoromir.

The following code in the game code tells the game the parameters, or the characteristics of the object. The game's code starts out with putting down the art parameters. The art parameters tell the game how Boromir is supposed to look. This is hard to code for a newbie, so let's skip it for now.

Next, you'll see all sorts of random attributes; here are some important ones:BuildCost
BuildTime
WeaponSet
ArmorSet
VisionRange = VISION_HERO_STANDARD
ShroudClearingRange = SHROUD_CLEAR_HERO
BountyValue = GONDOR_BOROMIR_BOUNTY_VALUE
DisplayName = OBJECT:GondorBoromir
RecruitText = CONTROLBAR:GondorBoromirRecruit
ReviveText= CONTROLBAR:GondorBoromirRevive
Hotkey= CONTROLBAR:GondorBoromirHotkey
CrushableLevel = 2 ;What am I?: 0 = for infantry, 1 = for trees, 2 = general vehicles

CommandSet = BoromirCommandSet
CommandPoints = 50
These are very important.
The BuildCost is how much the unit costs.
The BuildTime is how much time (in seconds) that it takes to build him.
WeaponSet is the type of weapon that Boromir uses, and under what conditions.
The armorset is the same, except for armor.
The VisionRange is how far Boromir can "see" units. If it's under attack stance and it has a large vision, it will attack units very far away.

Alex_3737's Tutorials

[This message has been edited by Ancalagon_4554 (edited 06-05-2007 @ 02:08 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
The Best Guest
Dúnadan
posted 05-18-08 01:27 PM EDT (US)     126 / 171       
Well coding alone won't do it you will need to bind a horse model to borormir's for it to even have a chance of working.

This is Not A Sig it is a Follow up to a Post
Revora Forums for all your modding needs
TBG (He is ever so slightly more awesome than everyone else for voting now isn't he?)-FOO
BSL Clan
"mods are actually fun girls!"-Jax
Selek
Dúnadan
posted 05-19-08 08:43 AM EDT (US)     127 / 171       
How will that work then? Any horse model is fine.
The Best Guest
Dúnadan
posted 05-19-08 04:21 PM EDT (US)     128 / 171       
You need to bind it though to boromir.

TBG (He is ever so slightly more awesome than everyone else for voting now isn't he?)-FOO
BSL Clan
Blatant
DoFH Seraph & Director of Seraphs
(id: blatant7)
posted 06-06-08 09:41 PM EDT (US)     129 / 171       
Hey, I have a question. How do you create more hero slots for a fortress? Basically I want to have a fortress able to build like 12 heroes, but only the first 7 or so have slots.

Yes, I began my journey alone, and I ended it alone.
But that does not mean that I walked alone. ~ Brandon Sanderson
Kingeragon007b
Dúnadan
posted 06-06-08 11:36 PM EDT (US)     130 / 171       
You have to change the mens fortress commandset to allow more hero slots in the ini file. It normally looks like this:

CommandSet MenFortressCommandSet
InitialVisible = 6
//Main Menu
1= Command_ConstructMenPorter
2 = Command_SelectRevivablesMenFortress
3 = Command_SelectUpgradesMenFortress
4= Command_SpecialAbilityIvoryTowerVision ; ;
5= Command_FireWeaponMenFortressBoilingOil ; ;
6= Command_Sell

//Upgrades Menu
7= Command_PurchaseUpgradeMenFortressBanners
8= Command_PurchaseUpgradeMenFortressHouseOfHealing
9= Command_PurchaseUpgradeMenFortressIvoryTower ; ;
10= Command_PurchaseUpgradeMenFortressBoilingOil
11= Command_PurchaseUpgradeMenFortressNumenorStonework
12= Command_PurchaseUpgradeMenFortressFlamingMunitions ; ;
13= Command_RadialBack

//Hero Menu
14= Command_RingHeroReviveSlot
15= Command_CreateAHeroReviveSlot// Note we also need an extra slot for the Create A Hero
16= Command_GenericReviveSlot1//Revives any hero. keep them UNIQUE within the same commandset!
17= Command_GenericReviveSlot2
18= Command_GenericReviveSlot3
19= Command_GenericReviveSlot4
20= Command_GenericReviveSlot5
21= Command_GenericReviveSlot6
22= Command_GenericReviveSlot7
23= Command_RadialBack
End

*** Heres what it should look like for 12 hero slots:

CommandSet MenFortressCommandSet
InitialVisible = 6
//Main Menu
1= Command_ConstructMenPorter
2 = Command_SelectRevivablesMenFortress
3 = Command_SelectUpgradesMenFortress
4= Command_SpecialAbilityIvoryTowerVision ; ;
5= Command_FireWeaponMenFortressBoilingOil ; ;
6= Command_Sell

//Upgrades Menu
7= Command_PurchaseUpgradeMenFortressBanners
8= Command_PurchaseUpgradeMenFortressHouseOfHealing
9= Command_PurchaseUpgradeMenFortressIvoryTower ; ;
10= Command_PurchaseUpgradeMenFortressBoilingOil
11= Command_PurchaseUpgradeMenFortressNumenorStonework
12= Command_PurchaseUpgradeMenFortressFlamingMunitions ; ;
13= Command_RadialBack

//Hero Menu
14= Command_RingHeroReviveSlot
15= Command_CreateAHeroReviveSlot// Note we also need an extra slot for the Create A Hero
16= Command_GenericReviveSlot1//Revives any hero. keep them UNIQUE within the same commandset!
17= Command_GenericReviveSlot2
18= Command_GenericReviveSlot3
19= Command_GenericReviveSlot4
20= Command_GenericReviveSlot5
21= Command_GenericReviveSlot6
22= Command_GenericReviveSlot7
23= Command_GenericReviveSlot8
24= Command_GenericReviveSlot9
25= Command_GenericReviveSlot10
26= Command_GenericReviveSlot11
27= Command_GenericReviveSlot12
28= Command_RadialBack
End

So thats 14 total including the spot for Create A Heros and the Ring Hero....

I This should work. LOL it might not allow more than 12 heros total though. I dont remeber how many you can have.

I hope this helps........

O and could someone answer my question in the other thread with the name: Can i get some help plz, or somthing like that.

Thanks,

Kingeragon007
Naugrim
Dúnadan
posted 07-16-08 05:07 AM EDT (US)     131 / 171       
First of all Hello everybody
I'm new and I joined this forum for some help with editing I just started with it and I want to change some things ingame.
The biggest thing I want to do is making the balrog playable as a hero I don't how to add him to a faction and let him stay forever so some help would be fun^^

Greetings, Naugrim.
Eruant44
Dúnadan
posted 07-19-08 04:41 AM EDT (US)     132 / 171       
Ok I'm not referring to my ini here so this is roughly what you should do:
In the balrog object there should be something called lifetimeupdate of something like that. Remove it. Then, go to playertemplate/faction template whatever its called and then in the mordor section you add 'MordorBalrog' at the end of the hero list.
Naugrim
Dúnadan
posted 07-19-08 08:28 AM EDT (US)     133 / 171       
Thank you for your help Eruant44.
It was some searching because I still didn't know where to find but after 6 mins I had it:P (pretty fast their are way to much files xD)
You made my day it is funny to kill guys with balrog xD

Greetings, Naugrim.
Psyconaut Amandi
Dúnadan
posted 09-05-08 10:21 PM EDT (US)     134 / 171       
How do I create a Localized String for maps I make, I want to create an Intro like in Gladiator and stuff like that. How do i do this?
The Best Guest
Dúnadan
posted 09-06-08 10:13 AM EDT (US)     135 / 171       
make a new script and make it start off right away(the trigger) and make it show text or viedo(command for it I just forgot what it was) whatver you want.

BSL Clan
Yod4izaK1llr
Dúnadan
posted 09-17-08 10:29 AM EDT (US)     136 / 171       
How do you add units from faction to faction(eg.Men of Dale to Men otW?

Thanks

When Crap becomes valuable,poor people will be born without butts
Its Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
Darkmist255
Dúnadan
posted 10-01-08 07:27 PM EDT (US)     137 / 171       
JBV!!!!!!!!!! If u'r reading this, tell me if I can use your sword flame for my map I'm making. I learned a LOT from your gladiator underworld return of Morgoth, thanks for the noob tips at the start =D.

NEVERMIND!!!
I tried testing field on 1-player skirmish and it crashed because it couldn't load FXParticle things. Can you tell why or is it just the way it is...

If I got a dollar for every dollar I had, I'd get a dollar

Am I rich? Do the math and find out...

[This message has been edited by Darkmist255 (edited 10-01-2008 @ 09:47 PM).]

The Best Guest
Dúnadan
posted 10-04-08 02:02 PM EDT (US)     138 / 171       
JBV has become a hired game designer ,for some company i forget which, and no longer checks BFME forums so most likely the only way you can reach him is by Email.

BSL Clan
Darkmist255
Dúnadan
posted 10-04-08 08:25 PM EDT (US)     139 / 171       
Thanks, and my newest map is nearly done, just a few errors, IT DOESN'T CRASH ANYMORE WOOT!!!!!!!!!!

If I got a dollar for every dollar I had, I'd get a dollar

Am I rich? Do the math and find out...
The Best Guest
Dúnadan
posted 10-04-08 08:39 PM EDT (US)     140 / 171       
No problem, tell me when its done and ill be sure to review it for you.

BSL Clan
Trani
Dúnadan
posted 10-18-08 11:39 AM EDT (US)     141 / 171       
Hi im new here, but to get to the point heres my problem.
I opened INI.big with FinalBIG and went to commandbutton.ini and changed in the CreateAHeroUIPrerequisiteButtonName = Command_CreateAHero_Bombard_Level2
I changed this to None so that I wouldnt need any requirements for it but the only problem is ever since I changed that.
Every time I open the game the splash screen comes up and the screen is black as if the EA icon were about to open and it gives me a different error every time, the most recent one is this:

Unknown field 'PreventPlayerCommands' in block 'EmmotionNugget'

Error parsing field 'PreventPlayerCommands' in block 'EmmotionNugget' in file 'Data\INI\Emotions.ini', line 119.

Sorry about the long post, I tried to cut it down as much as possible

Edit: I've reinstalled and putting in my backup of the INI.big but it still gives me that message, the commandbutton.ini within INI.big doesnt seem to change no matter what I do.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Trani (edited 10-18-2008 @ 11:43 AM).]

Vrindlevine
Dúnadan
posted 10-24-08 10:15 PM EDT (US)     142 / 171       
I have read possibly every pice of info on this site of how to do this and it still won't work. I need to add additional game generated heroes, EG (Aragorn,Lurtz) to existing factions EG (Angmar, Goblins) I have downloaded a file from this site that changed by CommandButton.ini and Commandsets.ini files so that they could use more slots.
I then added Aragorn to the list of goblin heroes, and saved. Than as a check to see if the game was reading the correct files I halved Shelobs cost from 2000 to 1000. In addition I changed the number of Power points you start with from 5 to 200, and this is working swell. When I loaded the game and started up the goblins there was no Aragorn in the hero list.

As an additional question I would like to know how to edit the recharge time's for powers EG (Balrog, Rally Cry)

Any help would be appreciated, I know your probably all busy people, in fact so am I, since grade 12 is rough. If you find the time to answer that would be nice.

This is for a mod by the way for my own personal enjoyment.

[This message has been edited by Vrindlevine (edited 10-25-2008 @ 00:47 AM).]

Might Of Grond
Dúnadan
posted 11-11-08 04:26 PM EDT (US)     143 / 171       
I'm not sure about the additional heros because I'm working on mine at the moment. Once I've got that sussed I'll inform you. But I do know how to change recharge timings and they're easy;

data\ini\specialpower.ini then edit the reload time under each power.

Welcome to BFME2H and sorry for being so long in replying to your Q's, it doen't usually take this long and this has been a long thread!!

best wishes on your mod!!

Does my bum look big in this? Stop staring at my face.
Tzuridis
Dúnadan
posted 12-01-08 04:44 PM EDT (US)     144 / 171       
Really noob question , I found how to change command points so I can have huge armies but I find if I could just make the battilions larger, such as 20 gondor swordsmen not 5 the battles would be much better. Is this possible? Or would formation coding just mess it all up.
Masterbadeend
Dúnadan
posted 12-16-08 01:54 PM EDT (US)     145 / 171       
Hey Tzuridis

You need final big (fb) for this and i would recommend your own map (making a map.ini)(otherwise you need your own mod, and I don't know how that should be done).
(Download Finalbig here :http://www.wagnerma.de/downloads.php
When you have fb, use it to open ini.big and search for data/ini/object/goodfaction/hordes/men/menhordes. copy all of it, open wordpad, and paste all.
then press ctrl+f and type ''slots'' (only slots)
search the slots of the units you want to change, and change them in whatever you like (I don't think there is a limit on it or something)
Here is a tutorial for setting up a map.ini: http://www.the3rdage.net/item-215?apage=273#page

I hope i'm clear and you can understand my english :P
EtherEel
Dúnadan
posted 02-01-09 12:39 PM EDT (US)     146 / 171       
Hello! I JUST bought BFME2 (1-30-09), and tried to tweak the ini.big file with FinalBig.... and what i got was a message that the file is locked. Now, I've *tweaked* other games before so i'm not a total buffoon, but i'm at a loss how to overcome the *lock*.
Is this locked-ness perhaps a function of Windows-Vista or perhaps added to the game in its later production?? Or am i just a dork??
And is anyone still monitoring this site for new posts?

His Dorkiness, EE/kft
Blatant
DoFH Seraph & Director of Seraphs
(id: blatant7)
posted 02-01-09 12:50 PM EDT (US)     147 / 171       
Hi EtherEel, and welcome to BFME2H.

Can you tell us exactly what the message says? The more specific you are the more likely it is that someone can help you.

It could also be something to do with Windows Vista like you mentioned. I am fairly unexperienced with Vista, but you should try following these steps to see if they make a difference.

Yes, I began my journey alone, and I ended it alone.
But that does not mean that I walked alone. ~ Brandon Sanderson
Crusard
Dúnadan
posted 02-01-09 01:37 PM EDT (US)     148 / 171       
Ini.big should be overwriteable (I just tested it), so as I know nothing of vista, that *could* have something to do.
Maybe the file is write-protected?

You can also make a small mod and change whatever you like, that way you can also keep your game playable online.
EtherEel
Dúnadan
posted 02-01-09 02:02 PM EDT (US)     149 / 171       
Wow !!! That was a quick response, thanx!
I'm looking into my issues further. But the reason i usually go for file rewriting is that i seem to have a intellectual block regarding making mods...somehow i just don't get it.

And btw, it seems that RotWK in not in production any more, what's up with that ??!

--EE/kft
The Best Guest
Dúnadan
posted 02-01-09 03:27 PM EDT (US)     150 / 171       
A Lot of people didn't like it so EA decided to discontinue it ;p

BSL Clan
« Previous Page  1 ··· 4 5 6 7  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames