You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Grey Havens (World Builder & Game Mods)
Moderated by Sir Hugh, Blatant

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.171 replies, Sticky
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » Grey Havens (World Builder & Game Mods) » Want to Learn INI?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Want to Learn INI?
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6 7  Next Page »
MR ANCALAGON
Dúnadan
(id: Ancalagon_4554)
posted 01-29-07 08:07 PM EDT (US)         
Ask your questions here: I'll be happy to answer them. This is like the question thread, except that it's solely for INI, and the answers will be in tutorials, which are longer. Ask me an INI question. I may start by giving a mini-tutorial.

Also, please specify in your questions if this is for a mod or a mod map.

Thanks to Kester for the sticky!

Q&A

Wait, so what is this topic about?
This is about modifying BFME2, or at least some aspects.

What do you mean?
Well, basically, this topic is about coding for the game: anything related to that.

Sounds hard...
Well, it is, but once you know what to look for, and how everything's related, it gets easier.

What is ini?
The game keeps its data in files called BIG files. Basically, they compress the data within it. We're looking at the INI.big file, which contains hundreds of files. Every file in that big file ends in INI, which is the format the game uses. There are some files that end in INC, but we won't have to worry about that.
What can ini do?
Well, it can do a lot. It can add new powers to units, cause buildings to spawn specific units, and most of the things used in the game. However, ini is by no means a magical language in which everything is possible.
What's an ini file?
It's an initialization file, to be exact. It tells the game all of the information about a specific object, its modules, etc.

What's an object? And how do I get started?
I'm making tutorials right now. If you ever have a specific question, ask it on this topic. I'll be happy to help.

About Coding

In the next few weeks or so, I'll be putting up tutorials as people need them, but I'll start with object-oriented programming as it relates to BFME2.

The game's code is basically a collection of objects. Some objects do some things, and some do others. Some are buildings, and some are units. Let's start with Boromir.Object GondorBoromirBasically, all this does is tell the game that there is an object named GondorBoromir. There is nothing special about this object, except that we can call it GondorBoromir.

The following code in the game code tells the game the parameters, or the characteristics of the object. The game's code starts out with putting down the art parameters. The art parameters tell the game how Boromir is supposed to look. This is hard to code for a newbie, so let's skip it for now.

Next, you'll see all sorts of random attributes; here are some important ones:BuildCost
BuildTime
WeaponSet
ArmorSet
VisionRange = VISION_HERO_STANDARD
ShroudClearingRange = SHROUD_CLEAR_HERO
BountyValue = GONDOR_BOROMIR_BOUNTY_VALUE
DisplayName = OBJECT:GondorBoromir
RecruitText = CONTROLBAR:GondorBoromirRecruit
ReviveText= CONTROLBAR:GondorBoromirRevive
Hotkey= CONTROLBAR:GondorBoromirHotkey
CrushableLevel = 2 ;What am I?: 0 = for infantry, 1 = for trees, 2 = general vehicles

CommandSet = BoromirCommandSet
CommandPoints = 50
These are very important.
The BuildCost is how much the unit costs.
The BuildTime is how much time (in seconds) that it takes to build him.
WeaponSet is the type of weapon that Boromir uses, and under what conditions.
The armorset is the same, except for armor.
The VisionRange is how far Boromir can "see" units. If it's under attack stance and it has a large vision, it will attack units very far away.

Alex_3737's Tutorials

[This message has been edited by Ancalagon_4554 (edited 06-05-2007 @ 02:08 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
MR ANCALAGON
Dúnadan
posted 06-26-07 09:17 AM EDT (US)     101 / 171       
It's easier to tell me to know what you want if you tell me with correct grammar, etc. If your first language isn't English, I'll understand.

Second of all, I can't help you if you don't know what you want.

Third of all, you can't "create" units for a map. It's simply impossible, and there are limits to map.ini. You have to change another unit to be like the unit you want. That's the only way that Worldbuilder will let you do it.
falahid
Dúnadan
posted 06-26-07 09:32 AM EDT (US)     102 / 171       
wel i want to change other units liek i told u give borimir a other weapen and u got new unit right? wel my englisch isnt verry good i know that
MR ANCALAGON
Dúnadan
posted 06-26-07 09:53 AM EDT (US)     103 / 171       
You can't give a second weapon to a unit and have him use it.
falahid
Dúnadan
posted 06-26-07 10:00 AM EDT (US)     104 / 171       
i give up u help the others so good but not me gues the problem lies whith me just want to make an own unit ore somthing u know ore add a weapen ore a ability
MR ANCALAGON
Dúnadan
posted 06-26-07 10:39 AM EDT (US)     105 / 171       
No, the problem is that I don't know what you want, and you don't know what you want.
falahid
Dúnadan
posted 06-26-07 12:57 PM EDT (US)     106 / 171       
i know what i want i want to make a new unit and dont tel it is imposible cuase the mirkwoods kingdom tha tmaps is full of it ore added a unit thats what i want
MR ANCALAGON
Dúnadan
posted 06-26-07 01:05 PM EDT (US)     107 / 171       
If you tell me what you want, I'll be able to give you a new unit.

What do you want? What do you want for your map? Be very very specific. Explain everything like you're talking to a 3-year-old. It takes me a while to understand stuff too.
falahid
Dúnadan
posted 06-26-07 01:13 PM EDT (US)     108 / 171       
ok:d
i would like a meelee unit that looks a bit like aragorn and is an men,he should be able to do ;if he hits there comes fire at the units ent he kills a whole groop of units at a time,a sword in fire,a ability that he can shoot a fire bird out of his sword and kills alot of units whith that and finnaly an word of power can that be done?
Drogoth
Dúnadan
posted 06-26-07 02:59 PM EDT (US)     109 / 171       
Heyz, you didnt tell me how to make hordes...;
but well.. I have something to ask you: I'm making a new hero. I extracted data/ini/..../arveleg.ini and i changed the name to data/ini/..../Stormwarrior.ini
I can play with him, but when I select him there are no palantiri powers and no hero/arveleg image; any idea?

[This message has been edited by Drogoth (edited 06-27-2007 @ 05:28 PM).]

erestel
Dúnadan
posted 08-18-07 04:33 AM EDT (US)     110 / 171       
seems "my heros" are not stored in the same .big as the rest of the units--is it true? i am interested in modding some of them. also are the heros' data also within ini.big? by data i mean damage, armor and the like?
MR ANCALAGON
Dúnadan
posted 08-18-07 10:29 AM EDT (US)     111 / 171       
Yes they are. Actually CaHes are stored in %APPDATA%. And they're hard to edit.

Yeah, the other attributes are in INI.big.
prakhar1
Dúnadan
posted 08-20-07 06:45 AM EDT (US)     112 / 171       
I want to make a mod for create a hero where all the CAH a hero powers are available at level 1 and make each power cost 50 resources. Also I wanted to add new powers. I edited the commandbutton.ini file for the levels and gamedata.ini for the cost. When I added them to the game and opened create a hero, it was still the same. Am I editing the right file or do I have to do something else instead.

Aussie Rules!!!
tylertheshade
Dúnadan
posted 10-02-07 03:06 PM EDT (US)     113 / 171       
ok i have the ini file but i dont know how to start to use it i have it pulled up i need tips how to use it how do u use the file to edit the stuff i dont know how to acsecess it

[This message has been edited by tylertheshade (edited 10-02-2007 @ 04:05 PM).]

Tom2424
Dúnadan
posted 10-14-07 05:00 PM EDT (US)     114 / 171       
Y dont the ranger mod work plz can u help me
ChocolateChimp
Dúnadan
posted 01-11-08 09:45 PM EDT (US)     115 / 171       
Hi, i just signed up here and i dont get really wat u mean.
I get you have to write all the stuff about the barraks and powers. The thing i dont get is:

Where do you write the files ini?
Where do u write all the stuff about powers and troops timers and costs?
I dont get where to write it.
Plz help me on this cauze ive been struggling on this 4 a long time (not really =).

So if you could do anything that'd be a big help

Thanks,
Chocolate Chimp
(online in game- crazycocoachimp)
Crailfron
Dúnadan
posted 02-23-08 09:48 PM EDT (US)     116 / 171       
falahid, im just taking a wild guess at this... but heres my thoughts to what you want to be done. Berzerker on the Men side, has a firebrand sword, looks like aragorn, has phinix (from drogoth) phinix just needs to have its impact edited so it causes word of power... hmmm.... By the way, firebrand sword is a cah weapon, but you would need to figure out how to make the sword emit fire, i havnt found out how to do that yet.... maybe a drake fire breath impact?

I tried the above, the most you can do is just edit the damage, its radius, its effect, but the sword, and being for men doesnt work out... unless you want a battillion of them.. thats possible... like editing the soldiers... all that.

[This message has been edited by Crailfron (edited 02-24-2008 @ 00:00 AM).]

FireArrowSniper
Dúnadan
posted 03-03-08 11:45 PM EDT (US)     117 / 171       
I want to make a custom hero with a power charge time of 0, and i promise, i will not use it online. if you dont feel comfortable answereing it publicly i can email u a question if u give me ur email adress, or i give u mine, but yea, i tried editing the the file directly and it failed. i have the finalbig, but i did nothing else. it would be extremely helpful if you could provide an easy to follow step by step guide.

I hope you understand
Thank you for ur time,
FireArrowSniper

Ps. i seriously wont use this online, i know its cheap, and stupid, so trust me, i will never use it online.
locomonster1
Dúnadan
posted 03-04-08 11:12 AM EDT (US)     118 / 171       
No offense, but...you could learn more INI doing stuff by yourself than reading this thread. That's how I got good at it. Notepad++ is a good asset for editing it. For your question, go to the Creatahero powers .ini (its somewhere in there) and simply edit the recharge the time. You'll have to extract it first, of course, with FinalBig. By the way, you can't play online with different game-running files, unless the person you're playing also has the same exact edited files. Its an online failsafe

[This message has been edited by locomonster1 (edited 03-04-2008 @ 11:14 AM).]

FireArrowSniper
Dúnadan
posted 03-04-08 08:20 PM EDT (US)     119 / 171       
thT DIDNT really answer my question, can you please tell me step by step, because this file (CahPowers) is in the apt folder, so the whole extracting and replacing thing is different. can you just write step by step about what i have to do? pretend your trying to teach a baby. i am completely new to editing these files.

Nevermind all that, i got it too work. and you definately cant use it online (atleast the way i did it), which i guess is a good thing . but i just dont see how other people did it to me before. they use CAH with 1 second reload time on me, and i hate them. i dont get how they do that.

[This message has been edited by FireArrowSniper (edited 03-05-2008 @ 05:02 PM).]

Samppu
Dúnadan
posted 03-15-08 05:02 AM EDT (US)     120 / 171       
Hi.

I'm new with World Builder, and I'm not good in English, becuse I'm living in Finland.

By the way, I want to know, how I can make my own special powers. I was trying to copy some code from the Gladiator Single Player map, but i was having some error by AddModule code.

I know how to add CommandButton to some hero Palantir, and I know how to make FX for the special power, but i don't know hove to use special.

I hope somebody understand what im meaning.

-Samppu
papukaija
Dúnadan
posted 03-22-08 01:30 PM EDT (US)     121 / 171       
Hi. I would like to get balrog to alliance..like elves and men. or men really..and how do i make gollum to be a hero?

thank you
AdmiralLee
Dúnadan
posted 04-05-08 08:07 PM EDT (US)     122 / 171       
Ello Ello!

So i'm pretty decent at map ini and all and I just made a new hero, the Dead King. I got everything done and correct, but only one thing remains. Changing the power texts! I wrote down the power texts in the STR file, but once I go in game, their still the same as before! Can anybody help me?

EDIT:

Here's an example:

Command Button Command_SpecialAbilityBladeMaster
Command = SPECIAL_POWER
SpecialPower = SpecialAbilityAragornBladeMaster
TextLabel = CONTROLBAR:BladeMaster
ButtonImage = HSAragornBladeMaster
ButtonBorderType = ACTION
DescriptLabel = CONTROLBAR:ToolTipBladeMaster
InPalantir= Yes
AutoAbility= Yes
AutoDelay= 30.0 ; this should sync with the Aragorn's hero mode effect time
PresetRange= 50.0
UnitSpecificSound = AragornVoiceBladeMaster
End

"NOTE!THIS ISN'T ONE OF THE POWERS I'M USING! JUST EXAMPLE!

So I took the "TextLabel" and the "DescriptLabel" and wrote what they would say in the game using the STR file. Once I finished I went in game and there's my problem. It didin't change!

[This message has been edited by AdmiralLee (edited 04-05-2008 @ 08:11 PM).]

Selek
Dúnadan
posted 05-08-08 02:04 PM EDT (US)     123 / 171       
Hey, I got Special Extended Edition, some of you might, too, and I would really like to have him have the power to mount a horse. I've seen it in the Elvenstar mod for Battle for Middle-Earth 1, so it should be possible.
As he's got all 5 powers full, I'd like to replace 'Train Soldiers'.
Anyone can help me out?

[This message has been edited by Selek (edited 05-08-2008 @ 03:09 PM).]

The Best Guest
Dúnadan
posted 05-17-08 07:40 PM EDT (US)     124 / 171       
Is this for your own personal use if so then who do you want to have the power?

This is Not A Sig it is a Follow up to a Post
Revora Forums for all your modding needs
TBG (He is ever so slightly more awesome than everyone else for voting now isn't he?)-FOO
BSL Clan
"mods are actually fun girls!"-Jax
Selek
Dúnadan
posted 05-18-08 10:20 AM EDT (US)     125 / 171       
Oh dear, completely forgot who I meant.
It's Boromir, and yeah, it's for personal use.
I just can't find powers in the .ini files, would be awesome if you could help me!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6 7  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames