You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Prancing Pony
Moderated by Sir Hugh, EnemyofJupitor, Atzy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.46 replies
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » The Prancing Pony » I found the Prancing Pony brick, and left it marble...
Bottom
Topic Subject:I found the Prancing Pony brick, and left it marble...
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 02-08-11 01:08 PM EDT (US)         

There is too little going on here. We are a new heaven. We must prevent ourselves from falling into the archives. Post, all of you. Now!

If only I had not been away when the elections began. Perhaps then it may not have been too late.

Perhaps it is not yet. Perhaps you can all surprise me, and post more. Each one of you can do your part. Onwards, unto activity!
The picture remains relevant. The fact that I wasn't here for a while is also relevant... the elections and bit about a new heaven, less so.

Point is. Let's bring this baby back. Do we want to be the old heaven that was great, and died well, or that one which limped on pathetically, attempting to return to its former glory, but never really achieving anything but pity?

I think, I think, that we want to be the latter.

Something to discuss. Something which historians (among others) have discussed for a long time, something which has caused a few controversies in its time. Identity. Call it race, ethnicity, whathaveyou, for these are all part of it. How does it form? To what extent can we change it? Can we change it? To what extent to do we have the right to ask others to change it? How do you identify yourself?

SO GET DISCUSSING

PROCRASTINATE NOT JAMAIS ARRIERE
AuthorReplies:
Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 02-14-11 01:22 PM EDT (US)     26 / 46       
I make a point of avoiding my fellow countrymen. It's most frustrating to hear my mother tongue and try not to respond in kind.

Herr Heir
Dúnadan
(id: Heir of Elessar)
posted 02-14-11 01:47 PM EDT (US)     27 / 46       
My roommate's a fellow countryman. And it's kind of weird seeing one of them and not talking in your mother tongue.

"Chaos is a ladder." - Petyr Middlefinger

"I love it when Heir is scum and knows he's been rumbled, he goes a bit mad."- Newt_Gunray

"And on that day my respect for Herr grew four fold" - SirDante
Old Bachus
Dúnadan
posted 02-15-11 02:00 PM EDT (US)     28 / 46       
The no common language explanation for racism is interesting but it's not that simple. Racism is one of those things that have many causes, but that one gets overlooked.

Old Bachus, Napoleon of Spam turned half decent forumer
>>Winner of Most Improved AoMH Forumer '09<<
~If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it isn't in Danish, thank King Alfred.~
>>My work<<

"Once you've stooped to Cash4Gold type stuff, you no longer are a celebrity." - Mozzy
Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 02-15-11 02:14 PM EDT (US)     29 / 46       
Nothing is ever simple, Bachus. But it is nonetheless an interesting correlation!
And it's kind of weird seeing one of them and not talking in your mother tongue.
It is, and it's ever weirder when they don't speak or understand the language you're speaking. But I do it anyway. Why? Because I'm dedicated!

[This message has been edited by Drakontos (edited 02-15-2011 @ 02:16 PM).]

Herr Heir
Dúnadan
posted 02-15-11 04:35 PM EDT (US)     30 / 46       
when they don't speak or understand the language you're speaking.
Now that is just being a jerk.

"I love it when Heir is scum and knows he's been rumbled, he goes a bit mad."- Newt_Gunray

Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 02-15-11 04:43 PM EDT (US)     31 / 46       
They're here to learn it too!

And they do speak a bit, just not enough to understand me if I speak at normal pace. Now, the chaps from Malta and South Africa, on the other hand...

Seriously though, if I don't draw the line in the sand I'll end up breaking my rules and not learning anything. I already spend WAYY too much time on HG, which can only be undermining my immersion.

I'm a nice person! Honest! !

Herr Heir
Dúnadan
posted 02-15-11 05:21 PM EDT (US)     32 / 46       
The only people I speak too fast for are the Americans. I think it's the Texan accent, they're used to drawling while I just say things out straight.

How do people get admitted to the school if they can't even speak the language properly?

Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 02-15-11 05:31 PM EDT (US)     33 / 46       
They're at the language school. For obvious reasons, there is no language restriction there.

Herr Heir
Dúnadan
posted 02-16-11 10:47 AM EDT (US)     34 / 46       
Well, that's weird.

Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 02-16-11 11:37 AM EDT (US)     35 / 46       
I am confused. How so?

Herr Heir
Dúnadan
posted 02-16-11 05:35 PM EDT (US)     36 / 46       
Cause there's no one like that in my college, but I can see situations where that would be possible now.

Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 02-16-11 06:06 PM EDT (US)     37 / 46       
Unis over here tend to offer language courses for foreigners too. Salamanca is the best of the best. So while there are a couple of kiwis studying there, I'm with the real uni.

It just so happens that one of them is an acquaintance of mine - otherwise I'd know they were there, but I'd never see them.

Herr Heir
Dúnadan
posted 02-17-11 00:57 AM EDT (US)     38 / 46       
I was thinking of it in a situation where if I ever went to Japan to study (further) abroad, I probably won't know the language so a teaching school would help.

Blatant
DoFH Seraph & Director of Seraphs
(id: blatant7)
posted 06-26-11 07:56 PM EDT (US)     39 / 46       
I feel honored to have been here for the golden age of BFME2H. I will always look upon this place with fond memories, regardless of where it ends up.

Yes, I began my journey alone, and I ended it alone.
But that does not mean that I walked alone. ~ Brandon Sanderson
Ashrzr
Battle of the Forums EEH winning team
(id: normandy887)
posted 07-05-11 10:13 AM EDT (US)     40 / 46       
Hosting a mafia here might help.

"Cue gang-rape music!" - Rotaretilbo
"What the f*** is gang-rape music?" - Cheddar Chap
The Wanderer
Dúnadan
posted 07-06-11 08:00 AM EDT (US)     41 / 46       
I don't think that there'll be enough players for one, honestly speaking. And in the event we do get a game started, it would be pretty likely that most of the players aren't regulars at this heaven and won't frequent it often enough. Hence, I feel there's a high chance we'll have another moon mafia...

The soul now burns, these thoughts I churn.
To never have a brief sojourn.
Oh maiden Death! Please hear my plea!
Allieviate, my malady.
Engulf me now, to you I bow.
Embrace me now, your tears, my vow.

[This message has been edited by The Wanderer (edited 07-06-2011 @ 08:02 AM).]

Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 07-24-11 03:53 PM EDT (US)     42 / 46       
When exactly did the lights go out here? I vanished, for reasons unknown, and came back and it was dead and all these people I never thought were capable of leaving (especially Arvy) had gone.

GandalfDaGraay
Dúnadan
posted 07-26-11 10:40 PM EDT (US)     43 / 46       
I vanished
When exactly did the lights go out here?
Question answered.

EDIT: correction.. the lights went out when our beautiful forum formatting code broke and drove us to desperate measures... like editing our posts to fix formatting.

Heck to the darkness
"That's fairly similar to what I thought you sounded like. Deep, gravelly, and wise sounding. Though the gravelly bit could've been mic quality?" -Atzy
"HeavenGames forbid!" -Smeagolfan24

[This message has been edited by GandalfDaGraay (edited 07-26-2011 @ 10:43 PM).]

Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 07-27-11 09:07 AM EDT (US)     44 / 46       
Jaja, I never realised I was quite such an integral part of the community, given my very low post rate back then.

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 07-28-11 07:21 PM EDT (US)     45 / 46       
Well, people just grew up and got on with things in their lives. BFME2 is a game that holds you for only so long (), so once the enthusiasm and the home-grown forumers (and the influx of Heaventrainers) dried up, it was a matter of time.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 08-04-11 11:35 AM EDT (US)     46 / 46       
Never played the game, wouldn't have a clue. It is a shame though.

Poor Heavengames, slowly falling by the wayside. Lack of updates to the software don't help, of course...

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames