You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Prancing Pony
Moderated by Sir Hugh, EnemyofJupitor, Atzy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.46 replies
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » The Prancing Pony » I found the Prancing Pony brick, and left it marble...
Bottom
Topic Subject:I found the Prancing Pony brick, and left it marble...
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 02-08-11 01:08 PM EDT (US)         

There is too little going on here. We are a new heaven. We must prevent ourselves from falling into the archives. Post, all of you. Now!

If only I had not been away when the elections began. Perhaps then it may not have been too late.

Perhaps it is not yet. Perhaps you can all surprise me, and post more. Each one of you can do your part. Onwards, unto activity!
The picture remains relevant. The fact that I wasn't here for a while is also relevant... the elections and bit about a new heaven, less so.

Point is. Let's bring this baby back. Do we want to be the old heaven that was great, and died well, or that one which limped on pathetically, attempting to return to its former glory, but never really achieving anything but pity?

I think, I think, that we want to be the latter.

Something to discuss. Something which historians (among others) have discussed for a long time, something which has caused a few controversies in its time. Identity. Call it race, ethnicity, whathaveyou, for these are all part of it. How does it form? To what extent can we change it? Can we change it? To what extent to do we have the right to ask others to change it? How do you identify yourself?

SO GET DISCUSSING

PROCRASTINATE NOT · JAMAIS ARRIERE
AuthorReplies:
TaylorFlame
Lizard the Bard
posted 02-09-11 05:37 AM EDT (US)     1 / 46       
It's done Drakontos. It is over. The golden age passed a long time ago.

TaylorFlame - The Definitive Man.
Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 02-09-11 07:36 AM EDT (US)     2 / 46       
Oh, I know. God knows why, since we're all still around!

Anyway. Seriously. Answer the identity thing. I am curious.

Herr Heir
Dúnadan
(id: Heir of Elessar)
posted 02-10-11 04:24 PM EDT (US)     3 / 46       
Let's get more stuff in here. For this heaven to work though, we need Arvy back.

"Chaos is a ladder." - Petyr Middlefinger

"I love it when Heir is scum and knows he's been rumbled, he goes a bit mad."- Newt_Gunray

"And on that day my respect for Herr grew four fold" - SirDante
Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 02-10-11 05:29 PM EDT (US)     4 / 46       
Well, actually responding to my deep philosophical question rather than just saying 'yeah we should bring it back... but cbf' might help.

Herr Heir
Dúnadan
posted 02-11-11 01:35 AM EDT (US)     5 / 46       
I wasn't here long enough for me to be answering such deep questions.

"I love it when Heir is scum and knows he's been rumbled, he goes a bit mad."- Newt_Gunray

Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 02-11-11 03:09 AM EDT (US)     6 / 46       
How about that time, eh? EH? EH?

Herr Heir
Dúnadan
posted 02-11-11 04:06 AM EDT (US)     7 / 46       
Haha I used long and deep in the same sentence and still didn't mean it in a bad way haha lol.

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 02-11-11 05:25 AM EDT (US)     8 / 46       
Something to discuss. Something which historians (among others) have discussed for a long time, something which has caused a few controversies in its time. Identity. Call it race, ethnicity, whathaveyou, for these are all part of it. How does it form? To what extent can we change it? Can we change it? To what extent to do we have the right to ask others to change it? How do you identify yourself?
I think really there's two bits to identity- the bit which you think you are, and the bit others think you are. They'll both be subtly different, because there are bits that you'll hide or others won't notice, and bits that you'll exaggerate.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 02-11-11 08:02 AM EDT (US)     9 / 46       
EoJ, did I ever tell you how awesome you are? If not, consider yourself informed.
I think really there's two bits to identity- the bit which you think you are, and the bit others think you are. They'll both be subtly different, because there are bits that you'll hide or others won't notice, and bits that you'll exaggerate.
And indeed, you'll exaggerate different bits around different people, no?

As far I am concerned, identity is something constantly evolving. I am a little bit of every person I have met, place I have been to and thing I have experienced. No person is just one thing.

As for imposition... take immigration for example, since it is fairly topical wherever you are. To what extent can you expect foreigners to conform to your standards?
To me, learning the language is obviously very important (language is to me a very, very, very important part of identity). Also respecting the customs of the people. Sure, you don't have to become them, but if you're accustomed to scream loudly at 3am every night, you might have to change that. Scream more quietly, since you made the decision to move to their country, not the other way around.

The Great Monty
Dúnadan
(id: Monty501)
posted 02-11-11 08:39 AM EDT (US)     10 / 46       
I'm just thinking... if we are having a whole new beginning thing... shouldn't we make a new Bree Bash thread or something like that. So as to signify a true new beginning. I'm just saying.

I will fight for Total War Heaven.

Will You?
Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 02-11-11 09:12 AM EDT (US)     11 / 46       
Haha. Dibs if it happens

The Great Monty
Dúnadan
posted 02-11-11 09:20 AM EDT (US)     12 / 46       
I was actually going to suggest that you do, since you have basically sparked this resistance that we have here.

Will You?
Herr Heir
Dúnadan
posted 02-11-11 01:19 PM EDT (US)     13 / 46       
I like that bit about moving to a new country, I can rather identify with it.

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 02-11-11 03:11 PM EDT (US)     14 / 46       
shouldn't we make a new Bree Bash thread or something like that. So as to signify a true new beginning. I'm just saying.
Veto, sorry

Will reply later, Drak, I'm preparing to go out for a late birthday celebration

Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 02-11-11 06:49 PM EDT (US)     15 / 46       
The one night I stay in, my fellow locutor is out!

Here's a question - if your country has a very short history (less than 200 years) and just about everyone speaks or wants to speak your language, who are you?

Herr Heir
Dúnadan
posted 02-12-11 03:23 AM EDT (US)     16 / 46       
Wow, that's a tough one. If you mean real countries, that is.

Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 02-12-11 04:40 AM EDT (US)     17 / 46       
*cough*NEWZEALAND*cough*

Herr Heir
Dúnadan
posted 02-12-11 09:40 PM EDT (US)     18 / 46       
New Zealand has it's own language?

The Great Monty
Dúnadan
posted 02-12-11 10:18 PM EDT (US)     19 / 46       
Yeah of course, where else do you find words such as New Zillund, Mulk and fush and chups?

Will You?
Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 02-13-11 01:53 AM EDT (US)     20 / 46       
You misunderstand, mine good Elessar. We do have actually 3 national languages. But the point was, we speak English.

If you speak English (which just about everyone speaks, or wants to speak, and increasingly so) and you have just about no history, who are you?

Kinda get absorbed. Not to mention speaking English is, for a language student, something of a curse, an affliction...

Old Bachus
Dúnadan
posted 02-13-11 02:22 AM EDT (US)     21 / 46       
I've haven't stopped by in a while and have been coming less and less due to such a wane of activity here, but it seems to be getting better. Nice job Drakantos !

Old Bachus, Napoleon of Spam turned half decent forumer
>>Winner of Most Improved AoMH Forumer '09<<
~If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it isn't in Danish, thank King Alfred.~
>>My work<<

"Once you've stooped to Cash4Gold type stuff, you no longer are a celebrity." - Mozzy
Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 02-13-11 02:55 AM EDT (US)     22 / 46       
Should I ever get a custom title, I shall call myself 'The Resurrector' or 'The Resurrector of BfME2H.' Or 'Heaven's Paramedic' Or I might go for 'Del Dragon'. Or I might have a vote.

In fact, I really don't know. Where were we?

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 02-13-11 07:29 AM EDT (US)     23 / 46       
And indeed, you'll exaggerate different bits around different people, no?
Yes, that's part of the idea. Think about how some people have the opinion that one person is awesome, while another just doesn't have time for said person. It'll be highly influenced by personal preferences, sure, but once the benchmark is laid for interaction with someone, I think it's difficult to change that way.
As far I am concerned, identity is something constantly evolving. I am a little bit of every person I have met, place I have been to and thing I have experienced. No person is just one thing.
I've picked up the odd mannerism from a couple of my favourite TV shows. There's a reason why people who know me in real life say I'm like the Doctor...
As for imposition... take immigration for example, since it is fairly topical wherever you are. To what extent can you expect foreigners to conform to your standards?
To me, learning the language is obviously very important (language is to me a very, very, very important part of identity). Also respecting the customs of the people. Sure, you don't have to become them, but if you're accustomed to scream loudly at 3am every night, you might have to change that. Scream more quietly, since you made the decision to move to their country, not the other way around.
That's wandering into slightly different but still relevant territory. Language helps people what each other can say (duh), which is the rock on which communication is built on (again, duh). Without communication between, say, the new peeps and the natives, there will always be tension between the two groups because they don't understand each other, specifically why people do things in a certain way, and their point of view on what the other people do. From there, it's much easier to thrash out a middle ground, resolve the tension, and integrate everyone into one (mostly happy?) family. But it'll just need a lot of work and effort on both parties.

I think that's the root of racism, really. People who lack the ability (Due to no common language) or the effort (due to, well. Verity of reasons- from having very narrow views to just not bothering to find out when opportunities to arise) to understand each other, followed by perhaps a lack of desire to find a solution that is pleasing to everyone.

Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 02-14-11 01:11 PM EDT (US)     24 / 46       
I'd agree there. Ever tried to make a sudden change in your behaviour? People develop an image of you, and will do anything they can to force you into that image. Unless you're with new people, you keep getting pulled back in. Identity is definitely not entirely a personal thing.
I've picked up the odd mannerism from a couple of my favourite TV shows. There's a reason why people who know me in real life say I'm like the Doctor...
Heh. I walked out of Pirates of the Caribbean like Jack Sparrow, and end up talking like the Doctor after Dr Who. In particular when Tennant was the Doc.

RE Languages and racism - I can definitely see the connection there. I'd say we also have some form of expectation (more in some countries than others) that every speaks our language. And when they don't, we start to resent them for it. Not always, obviously.

The flipside of that is of course the immense difficulty involved in not speaking your own language for extended durations of time. It gets easier eventually, as different rates for different people, but madre mía is it difficult at first.

Herr Heir
Dúnadan
posted 02-14-11 01:21 PM EDT (US)     25 / 46       
Tell me about it. It's actually tougher when the people who you mostly talk to are still your fellow countrymen, so you still talk in your own language with them. Makes it even harder to adapt to the accents and stuff.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames