You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Prancing Pony
Moderated by Sir Hugh, EnemyofJupitor, Atzy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.218 replies, Sticky
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » The Prancing Pony » BFME2H Official Mafia Calendar
Bottom
Topic Subject:BFME2H Official Mafia Calendar
« Previous Page  1 ··· 6 7 8 9  Next Page »
Rotaretilbo
Dúnadan
(id: Brandon Rebuga)
posted 07-21-08 07:47 PM EDT (US)         
This is our Mafia Calender. We use this to
schedule and maintain order in all of these online forum
games. YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF MAFIA??? CLICK HERE!

Current Moderators:

* Rotaretilbo *
Aeneas2
MR ANCALAGON
Filmdirector 2
Pulkit
EnemyofJupitor
Tarquinius
steace43
Blood Phoenix
MightyFireball
Atzy
Alex
Jax
Arvedui
Catabre
GoSailing
Nacht Jaeger
Calenraug
A Banned User
Ashrzr
Friend of Old
Blatant7
The Best Guest
Ninja Jedi

* Head moderator

These are the people who host the games. They have the
important role of making the games fun. If you would like
to host a mafia, post your ideas in the thread below. You
must meet the criteria of participating in at least 2 games
(games at any Heaven count towards this requirement).

Mafia Queue
There are two lines - one for people wanting to run full mafia games (no restrictions) and one for people running Mini-Mafia. Mini Mafia has a maximum of 12 players.

Full Size Games Queue
  • Return of the King Mafia - Friend of Old
  • Prince Caspian Mafia - Nacht Jaeger
  • Wheel of Time Mafia - Calenraug
  • Al Capone Mafia - A Banned User
  • ???? Mafia - Alex
  • Pulp Fiction Mafia - Ashrzr
  • Eagle Mafia - EnemyofJupitor
  • Arvedui Mafia - Arvedui
  • BfME2H Mafia - Catabre

Mini Mafia Queue
  • Silmarillion Mafia - Jax
  • Lego Star Wars Mafia - Catabre
  • Dwarven Warfare Mafia - The Best Guest
  • No Country For Old Men Mafia - Ashrzr and A Banned User
  • ???? Mafia - Blatant7
  • Pokemon Mafia - Ninja Jedi
  • ???? Mafia - A Banned User

Game Ideas

On Probation

Complete games

Incomplete games:

Hall of Fame
  • Rotaretilbo: 4
  • Arvedui: 3
  • Friend of Old: 3
  • A Banned User: 2
  • Culverin: 2
  • EnemyofJupitor: 2
  • GoSailing: 2
  • Hnossa: 2
  • MightyFireball: 2
  • Sir Hugh: 2
  • The Reduszebrus: 2
  • Aeneas2: 1
  • Ashrzr: 1
  • Blatant7: 1
  • Catabre: 1
  • GandalfDaGraay: 1
  • Kester: 1
  • Mr Master Chief: 1
  • Nacht Jaeger: 1
  • Pulkit: 1
  • Smeagolfan24: 1
  • The Cheese Man: 1
  • The Wanderer: 1
  • TimmySpok: 1

Operational Policy
  • There can never be two or more active Mafia signup threads at the same time.

• The next person in line can't start their game until the current game is over or the moderator of the current game grants his permission in this thread.

• A moderator can, at any time, choose to move back an indefinite number of spaces in the queue if they don't want to run their game yet.

• If a moderator feels that there is a demand for a new Mafia game not being met by the moderator whose turn is next, he may declare intent to skip to the top of the queue to fill the void. However, this declaration must stand for a week without any progress from the other moderator before it can be acted upon.

• If a moderator is at the top of his queue, and he does not show any signs of starting his game, a period of one week will be allowed to elapse, then he will be moved down one rank, and the next person will have an opportunity to go.

• Moderators may only be in each queue once at any one time. They are granted additional spots for supportive cohosting.

• If the primary host of a mafia backs out, the game is removed from the queue, regardless of the presence of a supportive cohost. However, if one of two equal cohosts backs out, the other can maintain the spot on the queue, if they so choose.

• The moderator is a god. If the moderator makes a mistake, it is your mistake, so inform him that he might correct it for you.

• Moderators may choose to allow users otherwise probated to participate in their mafias.

• Use this thread to propose Mafia games to be run. They do not have to be moderated by you, you can suggest games for others to run. If a moderator so chooses, that moderator can host the theme. When this occurs, the theme will be crossed out of the suggestion area and placed in the queue.

Because this is a very "long term" thread, it may expire. You should look for a moderator to top the thread if that happens - email them about it.

"Also, I'm no clearer on what WIFOM is really, although I gather it's something to do with Thymole being gay..." -Sassenach
    "I don't lie in my claims and I don't intend to." -WeeMicky
    "OH MY GOD A DINOSAUR" -Peter Fallon

[This message has been edited by Rotaretilbo (edited 03-09-2013 @ 03:48 AM).]

• AuthorReplies:
    Jax
    HG Monument
    (id: Jax Omen)
    posted 05-06-09 02:36 AM EDT (US)     176 / 218       
    ...Vanilla. Townies. Are. Horrible. They do NOTHING. It encourages inactivity! Not after Mesozoic Mafia have I EVER had a vanilla townie.
    Its not so much vanilla townies being a must, its giving everyone a power role that is a bit shady.

No its not even that. Its giving everyone weird unique horrid power roles in the name of making the game interesting. Putting in 2 mafia groups, an SK, and a cult just so you can give the whole town power roles a good game does not make.

house won this
    A Banned User
    Battle of the Forums EEH winning team
    posted 05-06-09 11:03 AM EDT (US)     177 / 218       
    I have been playing mafias here for nearly 18 months now, and never have I been a vannila townie. I think that says a lot for our style of mafias since vannilas are generally regarded as the most important town role and the best role for balancing. These are 4 downsides I can think of, off the top of my head to not having Vannila Townies:

1) Not enough area for scum to claim if all town roles are power, especially if the mafia are goons, surrounded by confirmable town power roles, then their screwed before the mafia begins.
    2) Too much confirmability in the town.
    3) Having all power roles can lead to complexity, especially when making new/ambiguous/complex power roles.
    4) Overpowered town

"Banned is a beautiful, beautiful man. Visit BfME2H, EEH, or DoFH if you want to see more of this wonder." - Blatant
    "I'VE ABANDONED MY CHILD" - Ashrzr defending himself from paedophile charges.

Scenario designer for Empire Earth and Empire Creations
    1st July 1916, The Somme (4.6), The Long Road to France (4.8) and A Place Called Waterloo (4.8)
    President of EEH, alongside Ashrzr (FILM DUDE!)
    Julius999
    Imposter
    posted 05-06-09 11:20 AM EDT (US)     178 / 218       
    I don't think I've ever disagreed with you ^)^)
    That's because you're brilliant!
    3) Having all power roles can lead to complexity, especially when making new/ambiguous/complex power roles.
    4) Overpowered town
    These wouldn't be such problems if games here didn't seem to require a whole bunch of ungodly experimental combo roles. Here is my personal favourite:

Post Restricted All-Knowing Untouchable Roleblocker Bus Driver Tracker Lie Detector Anti-Priest Survivor

As a rule of thumb, if your role description exceeds 30 characters, it's junk. This one racks up at an impressive 93.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
    Member of Stormwind Studios
    Jax
    HG Monument
    posted 05-06-09 11:27 AM EDT (US)     179 / 218       
    That role actually exists?

house won this
    A Banned User
    posted 05-06-09 11:33 AM EDT (US)     180 / 218       
    You can still have an overpowered town without having really experimental roles. A game with 2 or 3 basic town investigative roles, doctor, roleblocker, vigilante, noble e.c.t can easily overpower a mafia. I think my biggest mistake with Mansion was I tried so hard not to make an overpowered town, with a game with no Vannila Townies, that I actually made them underpowered

And I believe that role was from Rots Halo Wars Mafia

"Banned is a beautiful, beautiful man. Visit BfME2H, EEH, or DoFH if you want to see more of this wonder." - Blatant

1st July 1916, The Somme (4.6), The Long Road to France (4.8) and A Place Called Waterloo (4.8)
    Julius999
    Imposter
    posted 05-06-09 11:38 AM EDT (US)     181 / 218       
    That role actually exists?
    Yes. Remember Half Life 2 Mafia?
    that I actually made them underpowered
    They weren't. The scum were over-powered. There is an important difference. Quite often new hosts like to include exciting roles like SK, Cult Leader and Godfather, and like to include them all in a single, small game.

Jax
    HG Monument
    posted 05-06-09 12:20 PM EDT (US)     182 / 218       
    Oh. I think I died before it finished? I'm guessing it was either Freeman or the Gman? I didn't like either of those roles because they seemed unlynchable :/

house won this
    A Banned User
    posted 05-06-09 12:21 PM EDT (US)     183 / 218       
    They weren't. The scum were over-powered. There is an important difference. Quite often new hosts like to include exciting roles like SK, Cult Leader and Godfather, and like to include them all in a single, small game.
    I assume your talking about Ashrzrs role, and I assume your talking about the fact he had a one shot isolate abiltiy in particular.

I disagree as without that ability he was basically a One Shot Lover becoming Cult, that could be half confirmed. And IMO thats not very balanced for whoever was in that role. Which if you remember also had the problem of if Ashrzr picked scum he lost.

Julius999
    Imposter
    posted 05-06-09 12:29 PM EDT (US)     184 / 218       
    I wasn't talking about Ashrzr, I was talking on general town v scum terms. As a whole, the scum were simply too powerful for the town, the town weren't really lacking power. A reverse Cop can be as useful as a real Cop once sanity is worked out, and the Lie Detector is worth a lot.

But now you've mentioned it... In my view, Ashrzr's role was simply broken. It depended way too much on a single decision made on Night 1. In addition, I can't imagine a way it could be balanced without being either woefully weak or far too strong.

I would be happy if I never had to see that role again.

A Banned User
    posted 05-06-09 12:37 PM EDT (US)     185 / 218       
    But now you've mentioned it... In my view, Ashrzr's role was simply broken. It depended way too much on a single decision made on Night 1.
    It worked like a mason recruiter does. Target scum they die, so they have to work out who is town, from behavour and roleclaims. Ashrzr had to do the same and had a whole day to do it. So it wasn't entirely random, it was based on skill of judging a persons allegiance. And to Ashrzrs credit he got it right.

Julius999
    Imposter
    posted 05-06-09 12:46 PM EDT (US)     186 / 218       
    Iffy. There are many circumstances where skill would not have come into it and it would have been random. Getting away with it once doesn't mean the role is any good.

And there is no way you can balance roles that are so unpredictable. It's the same problem that you get with Cults and people who can choose which role they want to be (which I have seen).

Julius999
    Imposter
    posted 05-07-09 01:46 PM EDT (US)     187 / 218       
    Also I'll of either signed up or not to your Whisper by the end of tomorrow.
    Can I take it that you're not able/willing to play then?

Jax
    HG Monument
    posted 05-07-09 02:45 PM EDT (US)     188 / 218       
    Forget my own head next.

I'm gonna try signing up now.

house won this

[This message has been edited by Jax (edited 05-07-2009 @ 02:49 PM).]

Julius999
    Imposter
    posted 05-07-09 02:46 PM EDT (US)     189 / 218       
    Thanks. Sorry if I came over as pushy by the way, I just wanted to have a clearer idea so I kenw whether to invite someone else.

Jax
    HG Monument
    posted 05-07-09 03:37 PM EDT (US)     190 / 218       
    Oh you didn't. I'd rather you gave me a prod then just locked me out.

house won this
    Ashrzr
    (id: normandy887)
    posted 05-07-09 04:25 PM EDT (US)     191 / 218       
    Julius what you have to keep in mind is that there were only like 4 scum to boot, versus eight townies. Only two of them could kill, so Banned's game wasn't all that imbalanced, if imbalanced at all.

"Cue gang-rape music!" - Rotaretilbo
    "What the f*** is gang-rape music?" - Cheddar Chap
    Julius999
    Imposter
    posted 05-07-09 04:48 PM EDT (US)     192 / 218       
    Ashrzr, I can tell just from your brief description that it's unbalanced. Think about it. Here's how it could hypothetically play out:

Night 0: Two townies dead, it's now 6 v 4
    Day 1: Town lynch, it's now 5 v 4

Good luck town!

But then throw in that EoJ was immortal until Blatant died. That the SK was Stone. That you and Nacht could both be immortal for a night of your choice. That if you revived a townie they kept their power. That EoJ, you and myself all had solid claims available. That the town had 3 Cops, not one of which was sane. That Pit's role was unconfirmable. That Arvy's role was useless. That Cat's role could accidentally kill town.

They never had a prayer.

[This message has been edited by Julius999 (edited 05-07-2009 @ 04:52 PM).]

Ashrzr
    posted 05-07-09 05:17 PM EDT (US)     193 / 218       
    Keeping that in mind, at least it wasn't as bad as Hamlet Mafia.

A Banned User
    posted 05-07-09 05:35 PM EDT (US)     194 / 218       
    Two townies were only ever going to die night 0 if a townie was stupid enough to blindfire EoJ's gun on a fellow townie.

And if another townie was lynched day 1 then thats the towns fault as they still had a large majority.

So, that situation you just played out is the fault of poor town play, not the set ups fault. Plus i've alreayd said it was a game that was designed to encourage lynches to be made on behavour not roles. Again townies failed to realize this, other than Pit and Rot, and perhaps Sails at the end. I'm not saying my set up was perfect i'm aware it could have used improving, but it was not as bad as the stick your giving it.

Edit: I also believe Julius that your also not taking into acocunt that maybe Ashrzr and Nacht did play well to get their win. Ashrzr was able to sum up from the first day who was most likely to be a townsplayer and pick them. He successfully gave reasons as to why he was recruiting somebody who had died as a vannila townie, when there was a cop and doctor dead. He successfully used his isolation ability on the correct night by judging on when people were most likely to kill them. Any other night he's have lost. Nacht did a good job on the last day of making it look like him and Ashrzr were not scum buddies, thus helping Sails to decide they wern't working together and choosing to lynch you. It's not like they stumbled into a victory.

[This message has been edited by A Banned User (edited 05-07-2009 @ 05:43 PM).]

Rotaretilbo
    Dúnadan
    posted 05-07-09 07:01 PM EDT (US)     195 / 218       
    And, you're numbers are off, Julius. It wasn't 8v4 to begin with, it was 8v2v1v1. So, two town deaths and a town lynch later, it's still 5v2v1v1. Since the opposing scum groups can't communicate, and don't win together, they shouldn't be considered together. The town had a fair chance until we lynched Pit and then Cat and I died. That was when we had truly lost.

"Also, I'm no clearer on what WIFOM is really, although I gather it's something to do with Thymole being gay..." -Sassenach
    Julius999
    Imposter
    posted 05-08-09 02:48 AM EDT (US)     196 / 218       
    And if another townie was lynched day 1 then thats the towns fault as they still had a large majority.
    Not really. The majority of games with good setups (ie mass claims aren't viable on Day 1) do result in a Day 1 townie lynch. It's very hard for the town to do anything else without the scum messing up, or a virtual mass claim.
    Two townies were only ever going to die night 0 if a townie was stupid enough to blindfire EoJ's gun on a fellow townie.
    Fair point.
    Nacht did a good job on the last day of making it look like him and Ashrzr were not scum buddies, thus helping Sails to decide they wern't working together and choosing to lynch you
    That was actually a grievous error. I knew they were both lying about that, because the day before, Ashrzr had claimed Nacht investigated me before Nacht said so. So I knew they were lying about not communicating. But I stayed silent in the hope that Nacht might panic and bus his partner.

The best thing those guys could have done, was simply cast votes against me. Sails wouldn't have had a choice. Instead they faffed around for ages, incriminating themselves.

Before that they played pretty well though.
    Since the opposing scum groups can't communicate, and don't win together, they shouldn't be considered together.
    Doesn't change the fact that the town were overwhelmed with scum from the beginning. I don't dispute that the town could have won, (or that the SK could have won), but I do believe that the game was still not balanced.

One thing I think you guys don't always recognise is the effect of numbers on game balance. In my view, the main reason why so many games at HG are unbalanced is people like to cram their games with scum, and give the town extra power roles to combat this. This approach does not work well.

Anyway, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this. But you better believe I am utterly confident my point of view is right.

Rotaretilbo
    Dúnadan
    posted 05-08-09 03:32 AM EDT (US)     197 / 218       
    Overwhelmed, perhaps, but so were each scum group. Since each scum group didn't know the difference between their competitors and town, the number of total scum hardly matters. In fact, with other scum groups present, scum would likely be looking to lynch other scum to try and get in the town's good book, making it even harder for scum.

Julius999
    Imposter
    posted 05-08-09 10:07 AM EDT (US)     198 / 218       
    the number of total scum hardly matters.
    It really does. Scum are happy to lynch whoever isn't with them and get to night, as quickly as possible. The amount of lynch-happy people is directly related to the number of scum, regardless of whether they're deliberately working together.

This is exactly what I mean when I say you underestimate the power of numbers.

Obviously it would have been worse if the scum had all been working together (see Hamlet mafia). But making them separate doesn't automatically make everything fine.

[This message has been edited by Julius999 (edited 05-08-2009 @ 10:08 AM).]

Nacht Jaeger
    Dúnadan
    (id: RCM7525)
    posted 05-08-09 10:45 AM EDT (US)     199 / 218       
    Can you change my Narn i Hin Hurin Mafia to ???? since I don't think the theme is going to work out just yet. Edit: Nevermind, I guess you never changed it.

Nacht Jaeger - Ex AoEH Angel

[This message has been edited by Nacht Jaeger (edited 05-08-2009 @ 10:45 AM).]

Ashrzr
    posted 05-08-09 01:07 PM EDT (US)     200 / 218       
    Obviously it would have been worse if the scum had all been working together (see Hamlet mafia).
    The SK was not working with the mafia, and he wouldn't have even been an SK if the Town didn't suck so bad that game. Hamlet Mafia wasn't really all that imbalanced, sure I like to joke along with everyone it is, but if the Town hadn't played so piss poor by being mostly inactive, and lynching a noble who was much more confirmed Town then Arvy, it might've actually been an interesting game. The only mistake I made was giving the mafia a roleblock ability.

« Previous Page  1 ··· 6 7 8 9  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames