You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Prancing Pony
Moderated by Sir Hugh, EnemyofJupitor, Atzy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.50 replies
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » The Prancing Pony » Which one is the man?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Which one is the man?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Hikari
Dúnadan
(id: echowinds)
posted 12-08-08 06:43 PM EDT (US)         
Do guess:

You may also guess "both are men" and "both are women".

AuthorReplies:
Hikari
Dúnadan
posted 12-10-08 01:20 AM EDT (US)     26 / 50       
Time to say something about anime characters. Most anime males don't look like girls. I just pick out the ones that do.
The thing about anime is they look so wierd!
Not any more weird than your average western cartoon. In fact, I like to point out the style found in cartoons like Simpsons and Family Guy is far more disproportionate art wise than your average seinen demographic anime. Compare the art of South Park and Monster. Same targeted group of audience (young adult male).
There are actually many styles, as anime is a medium, not a genre (few non-Japanese know that). So many don't at all look alike to a trained eye.
But there are many common elements, such as not being sure if it's a masculine gal or a fem guy. These pics puzzle me.
These two statements are contradictory. If you know there are many different styles, than you wouldn't make the second statement. These are all different styles that do not share "common elements" beyond the fact they all try to depict that they are human characters. In most anime, you are able to tell which one is female and which one is male, and I am just playing on the fact that some of these are hilariously androgynous. I also like to point out that most main male characters in anime are teens. Teen males don't look very manly.
Even Helsing looks a wee bit fem. Only anime would make such a macho character look like that.

How is this guy feminine? Because he doesn't have a beard? Last I checked, vampires don't have beards. Uh, vampires are also not terribly macho in muscle mass.

[This message has been edited by Hikari (edited 12-10-2008 @ 01:22 AM).]

Old Bachus
Dúnadan
posted 12-10-08 03:05 AM EDT (US)     27 / 50       
I didn't mean that you all can't tell what sex they are. Just there's fair amount that do. That's Alucard, not Helsing. Actually, in the original novel Dracula was shown with a beard. Of course in Dragon Ball Z half the dudes look like they drank a bathtub of testosterone. What I meant by common elements was they all has something about it that you can tell it is anime, not a Western cartoon. I don't know what makes it anime. Isn't it just a cartoon from Japan? Hard to believe Pokemon, Cowboy Bebop, Gundam, Goldenboy, Princess Monoke, etc. could be classified in one group.

Old Bachus, Napoleon of Spam turned half decent forumer
>>Winner of Most Improved AoMH Forumer '09<<
~If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it isn't in Danish, thank King Alfred.~
>>My work<<

"Once you've stooped to Cash4Gold type stuff, you no longer are a celebrity." - Mozzy
Hikari
Dúnadan
posted 12-10-08 03:42 AM EDT (US)     28 / 50       
I assumed you meant the main character of Hellsing, which is Alucard, and really the only character that fits into the macho mode and all. Integra Hellsing's a woman, so that makes your point odd. Of course a woman will look at least slightly feminine, regardless of how tough she is.
Actually, in the original novel Dracula was shown with a beard.
Nearly no modern creations have bearded vampires. Using the old Dracula as an arguing point is bringing Shakespeare in on modern literature arguments.
What I meant by common elements was they all has something about it that you can tell it is anime, not a Western cartoon.
I can't tell you either, because it's a combination of multiple things. It ranges frequency of line size, proportions, colouring, gradient-cel shade ratio, exaggeration of different body parts, and other stuff.

Do look at the comparison of Powerpuff Girls, the original and the Japanese version.

Old Bachus
Dúnadan
posted 12-10-08 06:30 PM EDT (US)     29 / 50       
I was meaning Abram Helsing who is of course long dead in the show. I've only watched it a couple times, I'm not into anime but I like vampires /werewolf/monster stuff. didn't know the Powerpuff Girls were Japanese. I thought there were several things that could make it anime but didn't necesarily mean it had to include all of it.

It drives me crazy when people say that all Asian ethnic groups look the same. I don't care what they think, Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Thais, Philipinos, and all the others look nothing alike! I'm dead serious.

~If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it isn't in Danish, thank King Alfred.~
>>My work<<

"Once you've stooped to Cash4Gold type stuff, you no longer are a celebrity." - Mozzy
Fluttershy
Dúnadan
(id: Freaky2)
posted 12-10-08 06:58 PM EDT (US)     30 / 50       
It's not just Asians.
All females look the same to me

(_̅_̅(̲̲̲̲̲̅̅̅̅̅̅(̅_̅_̲̅marij̲u̲̅an̲̅a̲̅̅_̅_̅_̅()
(is not as helluva drug as pepe)
Jax
HG Monument
(id: Jax Omen)
posted 12-10-08 07:13 PM EDT (US)     31 / 50       
What about asian girls

house won this
Old Bachus
Dúnadan
posted 12-10-08 08:38 PM EDT (US)     32 / 50       
I think everyone from NYC looks the same. Not sure why.

>>My work<<

Hikari
Dúnadan
posted 12-11-08 03:20 AM EDT (US)     33 / 50       
Discussion aside, the previous 3 pictures are boy, girl, girl. Yes, the first one is a boy. Jun Watarase of Happiness!, notorious for being a "trap". I believe the creator just took a female design and say "wouldn't it be hilarious if I made her a boy!" and ran with it, or something like that. The other two are Kurau from Kurau: Phantom Memory and Allison, from Allison and Lillia. The former looks rather manly, actually. Incidently, the person on her glasses is female, and her "sister" of sorts. Bascially, all of you lost on the first one, and most of you lost on the second one. Some of you got Allison right though.

Anyways:

Old Bachus
Dúnadan
posted 12-11-08 03:35 AM EDT (US)     34 / 50       

>>My work<<

Jax
HG Monument
posted 12-11-08 04:16 AM EDT (US)     35 / 50       
Girl boy boy?

house won this
Old Bachus
Dúnadan
posted 12-11-08 04:44 AM EDT (US)     36 / 50       
Isn't anime what enthusiasts complain gets totaly butchered when it's translated in English? Like the music, sounds, and all that are changed to and it feels wrong or something?

>>My work<<

TBK145
Dúnadan
posted 12-11-08 01:02 PM EDT (US)     37 / 50       
Girl Girl Boy.

TBK_-_iDrug
"Because sometimes your posts seem to imply that you're a little high?" - RCM
"And sometimes "a little" is an understatement ;p ..." - Kyr
"I think TBK's subtly trying to tell us he does, but 'legally.' " - Norm
"Or maybe "slightly" illegal" - RCM
"Are you on drugs?" - Gamerrici
Friend of Old
Resident Madman
posted 12-11-08 01:16 PM EDT (US)     38 / 50       
You do hear lots of people complain about dubs, it's true. I'm not a hardcore anime fan, but I like bits an pieces, so for me I like the dubs, I feel more comfortable dealing with my native tounge (although if I could speak Japanese I'd watch the originals for comparison and curiostiy).

Girl
Boy
Both (Hohohoho, no I'm really serious. But it started as a girl)

Doctor FoO
Jax
HG Monument
posted 12-11-08 01:29 PM EDT (US)     39 / 50       
The main issue to me is the the voice actors they get sound awful. Not speaking Japanese means that all the Japan actors sound similar to me, and it's harder to differentiate between the good and the bad.

house won this
Friend of Old
Resident Madman
posted 12-11-08 02:15 PM EDT (US)     40 / 50       
Hang on, which voice actors sound awful, I'm confused. But that's to be expected after today.

Doctor FoO
Old Bachus
Dúnadan
posted 12-11-08 02:38 PM EDT (US)     41 / 50       
Whoever they get for Yu-Gi-Oh! are just way over the top it's disgusting. I once saw a Chinese flick with Sean Connery as a voice-over.

>>My work<<

Might Of Grond
Dúnadan
posted 12-11-08 04:34 PM EDT (US)     42 / 50       
Girl, Boy, Boy??

Does my bum look big in this? Stop staring at my face.
Arvedui
Messiah of Fail
(id: ashwin13)
posted 12-11-08 05:30 PM EDT (US)     43 / 50       
I'd say girl boy boy.

"Arvy is randomly full of win." - Skarr
|
"I don't watch cartoons, those are for third class people." - Arvy
"Yeah, children, those third class people." - Sails
And because I bet Blatant he wouldn't be orange in two days and lost... HEIL BLATANT!
Jax
HG Monument
posted 12-11-08 05:44 PM EDT (US)     44 / 50       
Hang on, which voice actors sound awful, I'm confused. But that's to be expected after today.
Most of the ones I've heard. Case in point - the Naruto voices sound almost like every other anime ever (although Naruto will always be squeaky and annoying) but godawful in English. Same for Full Metal Panic. Films normally aren't too bad, though.

Of course, you also have to bear in mind that I can't get English dubs for a lot of things - my copy of Ouran is either Chinese or Japanese.

house won this
Hikari
Dúnadan
posted 12-11-08 05:54 PM EDT (US)     45 / 50       
IIRC, Ouran is now out in America in dubs, which means there are English dubs available, but probably not sold in UK.

Some dubs aren't bad, but many are god awful. Certain dubs do fit in better in English than in Japanese though, especially ones that has a lot of English phrases involved or settings that are in Europe. It sometimes feels a little weird hearing supposed Europeans speaking Japanese, and then uses funny accented English.

Jaiku
Dúnadan
posted 12-13-08 05:32 PM EDT (US)     46 / 50       
Perfect example of a horrible dub = Bleach.

Blood+ has decent voice acting, but I still perfer subtitles.

\m/ METALHEAD \m/
Question me not say the LORD unto thee
You have chosen your own fate and your own destiny

MySpace
Catabre
BFME2H Replay Reviewer - Library Guildsman
posted 12-13-08 07:33 PM EDT (US)     47 / 50       
Girl Girl Boy

"Apparently, arguing for the right to do something no-one wants to do is the lifeblood of HG." - TaylorFlame

"Whatever happened, BFME2H did it better. No Exceptions." - EnemyofJupitor
Jaiku
Dúnadan
posted 12-14-08 01:29 AM EDT (US)     48 / 50       
Actually, i'm pretty sure its Girl Boy Boy

Girls in anime tend to have very... smooth I guess is the right word.. hair. And usually have very large eyes.

\m/ METALHEAD \m/

MySpace
Bingo Little
Dúnadan
(id: Medusasson)
posted 12-18-08 03:53 PM EDT (US)     49 / 50       
John Williams is the man

░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█▀▀ ░
░█▀▀ ░█▀▀ ░█ ░█ ░░░
░▀▀▀ ░▀ ░░░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░
Jaiku
Dúnadan
posted 12-19-08 01:56 AM EDT (US)     50 / 50       
O.o

That was beyond amazing. Especial the Jaws wookiee thing.

\m/ METALHEAD \m/

MySpace
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames