You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Prancing Pony
Moderated by Sir Hugh, EnemyofJupitor, Atzy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.28 replies
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » The Prancing Pony » Concerning Conquest...
Bottom
Topic Subject:Concerning Conquest...
Might Of Grond
Dúnadan
posted 12-08-08 02:46 PM EDT (US)         
As the release of the game draws ever closer,I thought I would create a thread adressing, and wherever possible answering any concerns about the game.

I myself have several
From the snippets I have seen of the gameplay I am very impressed on the whole, about the scale of the maps, save of course the Black gate, but I can't get over the army sizes. I am aware that the wars are played out in waves of troops, but there are still too few units in conflict on the battlefield. Also I was more than concerned about the introduction of mages to all factions. In my mind Wizards were meant to be few and far between, a race almost extinct by the time of the third age. To introduce mages to every faction is a disgrace.

One more moan, I have found that the archers fire far too fast and seem to unbalance the game terribly, it is also very much unrealistic. The speed of these archers makes Legolas insignificant.

On the whole though I am still looking to purchase the game, hopefully for computer; in the vain hope that I could edit the ini and eliminate the mage.

If you have any concerns, points of interest or general discussion regarding this subject, they are most welcome.

Thanks for you're attention
Might Of Grond

Does my bum look big in this? Stop staring at my face.
AuthorReplies:
Blatant
DoFH Seraph & Director of Seraphs
(id: blatant7)
posted 12-08-08 03:06 PM EDT (US)     1 / 28       
I personally don't like the trail of light behind the sword swings. The trail behind arrows is fine, because otherwise you wouldn't see them, but the trail behind swords is unnecessary and in my mind takes away from the gameplay. besides a few other minor complaints however, I'm satisfied. I personally don't mind the mage, but I don't think I'll be using it much.

Yes, I began my journey alone, and I ended it alone.
But that does not mean that I walked alone. ~ Brandon Sanderson
Calenraug
Dúnadan
(id: Calenrauko)
posted 12-08-08 07:12 PM EDT (US)     2 / 28       
I played the game at PAX in August, and I can say that it is definately worth picking up.

Yes, it severly breaks the lore (Even much worse than LotRO's Rune-keeper), but has EA ever really respected the lore of J.R.R. Tolkien's world? (And by the way, there were only 5 wizards, not even as many as you say. Though there were some very powerful Elves such as Galadriel. And Tom Bombadil of course.)

As for the archers, yes it's unrealistic. However, I'd think I'd rather have it be unrealistic than only being able to fire once every twenty seconds in a game. As for unbalancing the game, I found that the warrior class was able to do a lot more damage overall than the archers were.

For your statement on too few units, I didn't find this to be a problem. If it seems from watching clips that there are too few units, you'll probably get too involved in the game while playing to notice anyway.

There was one concern that I had after playing it, and that would be the horses. It might just be due to it only being a demo, but the horses seemed slightly unresponsive and very loose. Except if you had to get across the field in a HUGE hurry, staying on foot would be better.
I personally don't mind the mage, but I don't think I'll be using it much
While I disagree with the first statement (see lore issue above), I think anyone who plays the mage will agree with the second. It didn't seem that good of a class with the others. Again, that was the demo, and some balance issues may have been resolved.

Player of The Lord of the Rings Online.
Server: Vilya
Name: Maegbor
Nacht Jaeger
Dúnadan
(id: RCM7525)
posted 12-08-08 08:59 PM EDT (US)     3 / 28       
Yes, it severly breaks the lore
NOOOOOOOOOOOO......

Nacht Jaeger - Ex AoEH Angel
Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 12-09-08 01:18 PM EDT (US)     4 / 28       
I've watched many of the snippets too as well as have played Battlefront II (made previously by the developer). My current computer can handle it, so I'll be getting it.

________                                         ________
\________\------______ _____------/________/
\_______\---\\\\ Sir Hugh ////---/_______/
\_____\--\\| Seraph |//--/_____/
\\//\\//
Might Of Grond
Dúnadan
posted 12-09-08 01:32 PM EDT (US)     5 / 28       
I personally don't like the trail of light behind the sword swings.

Yeah, I find it a tad unnecessary and it makes the game look tacky; like some old tekken game or something.
I personally don't mind the mage
Really?
I'd think I'd rather have it be unrealistic than only being able to fire once every twenty seconds in a game. As for unbalancing the game, I found that the warrior class was able to do a lot more damage overall than the archers were.
Every twenty seconds is slighty over-estimated but yeah, I kinda prefer it to be more realistic than action packed wherever possible, even if that does mean long pauses as the archer fumbles over the bowstring. It's also true that the warrior class is far too agile and pull off such a large array of combos, that makes them terribly powerful; it's not as if you see rohirrim pirouetting and strutting their stuff in the films.
you'll probably get too involved in the game while playing to notice anyway.
Too true
There was one concern that I had after playing it, and that would be the horses. It might just be due to it only being a demo, but the horses seemed slightly unresponsive and very loose. Except if you had to get across the field in a HUGE hurry, staying on foot would be better.
Actually I had assumed that the horses would be fine, but you played the game so I'll take you're word for it!

Calenraug
Dúnadan
(id: Calenrauko)
posted 12-09-08 04:36 PM EDT (US)     6 / 28       
but you played the game so I'll take you're word for it
Again, it was the demo I played, so it's very possible that it has been tuned up a bit. We'll just have to see when the game comes out.

Player of The Lord of the Rings Online.
Server: Vilya
Name: Maegbor
Arvedui
Messiah of Fail
(id: ashwin13)
posted 12-09-08 05:02 PM EDT (US)     7 / 28       
I just have one concern - does it have SecuROM/any other form of annoying DRM?

Yes = not buying it. No = buying it. Sort of = I'll think about it. SecuROM = Yeah, right. *rolls eyes*

"Arvy is randomly full of win." - Skarr
|
"I don't watch cartoons, those are for third class people." - Arvy
"Yeah, children, those third class people." - Sails
And because I bet Blatant he wouldn't be orange in two days and lost... HEIL BLATANT!
Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 12-09-08 05:09 PM EDT (US)     8 / 28       
Being one of EA's new titles and part of a new trend, it probably will have Securom.

However, that one stop me from stockpiling it for a new desktop.

\\//\\//
Might Of Grond
Dúnadan
posted 12-10-08 11:28 AM EDT (US)     9 / 28       
Can I just ask...

..what is securom?

Panic!

Arvedui
Messiah of Fail
posted 12-10-08 05:33 PM EDT (US)     10 / 28       
SecuROM is meant to be an anti-piracy DRM program created by Sony. Sony was the same company behind the DRM Rootkit scandal in CDs, and it seems they haven't learnt their lesson. Most game developers do not tell they are installing SecuROM as well, and SecuROM bypasses UAC in Vista and installs itself in the Kernel of your OS (despite what Sony might say) and has hidden registry keys. It has the potential to disable CD Burning programs like Nero, the potential to hang your system by gobbling up system resources, and can easily disable your CD/DVD Burner Drive, along with compromising your PC's security. It's not extremely common for this stuff to happen. but it does, and it's not exactly rare, either. It's basically a rootkit and malware that you're forced to install. And it doesn't do jackshit to stop pirating.

|
And because I bet Blatant he wouldn't be orange in two days and lost... HEIL BLATANT!
Might Of Grond
Dúnadan
posted 12-11-08 04:46 PM EDT (US)     11 / 28       
Thanks Arvy,
That must have been the first factual passage I have read that I actually understood.
It has the potential to disable CD Burning programs like Nero
Good. I never got the hang of Nero.

Arvedui
Messiah of Fail
posted 12-11-08 05:29 PM EDT (US)     12 / 28       
Heh. Not just Nero, though. Alcohol 120%, Roxio CD Creator, and virtually any other CD burning program you can think of. I don't think it disables the built in burning in Vista. If it did, that'd be MAJOR grounds for a lawsuit.

|
Might Of Grond
Dúnadan
posted 12-12-08 12:18 PM EDT (US)     13 / 28       
Oh

Well that's not so good after all then.

Conquest...

Does anyone know how you take down the mumakil in the game because I sinserely hope that they are as formiddable as they are in the films. I would hate for the Mighty Mumak to be taken out by a mere footsoldier.

Barathur
Dúnadan
posted 12-12-08 02:27 PM EDT (US)     14 / 28       
Downloaded from Torrent- Check your e-mail, please- EoJ

[This message has been edited by EnemyofJupitor (edited 12-13-2008 @ 02:43 PM).]

Nacht Jaeger
Dúnadan
(id: RCM7525)
posted 12-12-08 02:56 PM EDT (US)     15 / 28       
So you downloaded it illegally?

Nacht Jaeger - Ex AoEH Angel
Arvedui
Messiah of Fail
posted 12-12-08 04:13 PM EDT (US)     16 / 28       
*watches eagerly*

|
Might Of Grond
Dúnadan
posted 12-13-08 01:20 PM EDT (US)     17 / 28       
*Inquisitive, apprehensive, silence*

*squints eyes and raises an eyebrow*

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 12-13-08 02:44 PM EDT (US)     18 / 28       
Mr. Barathur, check your e-mail, please.

Move along, guys.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
TaylorFlame
Lizard the Bard
posted 12-13-08 02:48 PM EDT (US)     19 / 28       
Mr. Barathur, check your e-mail, please.
Looks like someone just got an unofficial warning.

See, this is why you have to hand it to EoJ. He's a nice Seraph. I've seen plenty of other mods who'd have carted that guy out already.

Don't screw up again.

TaylorFlame - The Definitive Man.
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 12-13-08 03:15 PM EDT (US)     20 / 28       
Looks like someone just got an unofficial warning.
Official. Past examples dictacte it's official when you've only got two posts on the clock and aren't a smurf.

TaylorFlame
Lizard the Bard
posted 12-13-08 03:17 PM EDT (US)     21 / 28       
Ah, righto. I checked the Moderation Announcements and there was nothing. I must have been to fast.

TaylorFlame - The Definitive Man.
Might Of Grond
Dúnadan
posted 12-14-08 12:46 PM EDT (US)     22 / 28       
You got to feel for him though guys; I mean, He lost his disc

But why was he posting about BFME2 on Concerning Conquest...??

Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 12-15-08 05:53 PM EDT (US)     23 / 28       
I see EoJ has cracked a whip.

\\//\\//
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 12-15-08 06:01 PM EDT (US)     24 / 28       
I have to do something round here. Makes me feel guilty watching you doing the peddlebike that powers the downloads section while I'm watching TV

Jekyll
Dúnadan
(id: Vault Dweller)
posted 12-15-08 06:15 PM EDT (US)     25 / 28       
See, this is why you have to hand it to EoJ. He's a nice Seraph. I've seen plenty of other mods who'd have carted that guy out already.
I'm glad I got caught out by SubRosa for that one. A week ban, and back in action! Gaius would have made it a perma with 3 month parole.
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 12-16-08 11:40 AM EDT (US)     26 / 28       
That is what we're supposed to do if you've been around, y'know.

Catabre
BFME2H Replay Reviewer - Library Guildsman
posted 12-16-08 12:17 PM EDT (US)     27 / 28       
Thankfully we're lax here.

"Apparently, arguing for the right to do something no-one wants to do is the lifeblood of HG." - TaylorFlame

"Whatever happened, BFME2H did it better. No Exceptions." - EnemyofJupitor
Might Of Grond
Dúnadan
posted 12-16-08 01:12 PM EDT (US)     28 / 28       
Hey errm, guys you're ignoring my topic

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames