You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Prancing Pony
Moderated by Sir Hugh, EnemyofJupitor, Atzy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.93 replies
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » The Prancing Pony » Optimism vs. Pessimism: Hope for Humanity?...
Bottom
Topic Subject:Optimism vs. Pessimism: Hope for Humanity?...
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
Kyr Nelenar
Dúnadan
(id: darkservant)
posted 12-06-08 03:03 PM EDT (US)         
Ok, so basically I'm currently watching something on the National Geographic channel and it has a bunch of futuristic war weapons that are being made for soldiers... While watching this I saw a commercial for another program on later which deals with space exploration, and I wondered to myself: "Is there hope for Humanity?... Will we be able to ever make it beyond our planet?... Can we keep the current technological boom going and not thus bring war to a terrifying new level?..."... Over all I'm wondering if we can expand out into space efficiently, while our home is still so unstable?... And if we will be able to advance technology without advancing lethal weapons and terrors?... Is there hope?.. or are we fated to be doomed before such things can occur?...

Please discuss...

_.,-=~+"^'`:Kyr Nlnar:`'^"+~=-,._
"n rans Helara" - "Live Well Friend"
"krnai Scar-lu" --- "krnai of Thirteen"
Remember Kids: "Kyr" rhymes with fire...
Sometimes your imagination inspires other people to use theirs.-Sir Hugh-

[This message has been edited by Kyr Nelenar (edited 12-10-2008 @ 04:54 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Blatant
DoFH Seraph & Director of Seraphs
(id: blatant7)
posted 12-09-08 08:38 PM EDT (US)     51 / 93       
No matter how defended you'd be in a big store, you'd still be screwed when the power goes out. About one-third of the food would spoil and be unusable, and the power would go out. Imagine sitting in pitch-black darkness with little water and food all the while knowing there are zombies waiting outside to get you. No, I'd suggest escaping to the wilderness and meeting up with a large group of people.

Yes, I began my journey alone, and I ended it alone.
But that does not mean that I walked alone. ~ Brandon Sanderson
Hikari
Dúnadan
(id: echowinds)
posted 12-09-08 10:07 PM EDT (US)     52 / 93       
Well, there's a bigger chance the military and such know where you are in an urban center. An organized military should be able to get around where they want to regardless of the number of zombies. Classic zombies, that is, not the super-fast and powerful types, or the type that starts learning how to use weapons.

Fluttershy
Dúnadan
(id: Freaky2)
posted 12-09-08 10:16 PM EDT (US)     53 / 93       
I think I'd still rather be in a Wal-Mart than the wilderness.

(_̅_̅(̲̲̲̲̲̅̅̅̅̅̅(̅_̅_̲̅marij̲u̲̅an̲̅a̲̅̅_̅_̅_̅()
(is not as helluva drug as pepe)
The Reduszebrus
Dúnadan
(id: reduszebrus)
posted 12-09-08 11:02 PM EDT (US)     54 / 93       
well...most armies can hit fighter jets that fly a lot faster 90k so i dont think that is a liable excuse for them losing to emus. Also, if your in a big store at least you have food and a bunch of people to have your back but if you go alone...the ZOMBIES WILL GET YOU!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH
Even sending out anything but a 4 wheel drive is a waste of money when chasing emus.

Oh and I agree with blatant except for the large group part.

Redus
Bfme2h|HWH|HG main|Redus' blog
Winner of the best post in the 2007 Bfme2H awards, because I had the only nomination.
So this is how freedom dies, to a round of applause.
+1-Drakontos
Old Bachus
Dúnadan
posted 12-09-08 11:27 PM EDT (US)     55 / 93       
I devoloped a theory that during times of war technology advances for more rapidly then times of peace. Look at what was invented during the (American) Civil War or WWII.

Old Bachus, Napoleon of Spam turned half decent forumer
>>Winner of Most Improved AoMH Forumer '09<<
~If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it isn't in Danish, thank King Alfred.~
>>My work<<

"Once you've stooped to Cash4Gold type stuff, you no longer are a celebrity." - Mozzy
Hikari
Dúnadan
(id: echowinds)
posted 12-09-08 11:51 PM EDT (US)     56 / 93       
It's not really your theory, because it's pretty much fact that technology does advance faster in times of war.

Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 12-10-08 00:13 AM EDT (US)     57 / 93       
Two key things drive progress. Laziness, and war. On the whole, anyway.

PROCRASTINATE NOT JAMAIS ARRIERE
TaylorFlame
Lizard the Bard
posted 12-10-08 00:34 AM EDT (US)     58 / 93       
well...most armies can hit fighter jets that fly a lot faster 90k so i dont think that is a liable excuse for them losing to emus. Also, if your in a big store at least you have food and a bunch of people to have your back but if you go alone...the ZOMBIES WILL GET YOU!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH
A single infantry patrol cannot kill fighter jets. Advanced SAM systems kill fighter jets. The cost of using them, especially against emus, is prohibitively high.

Also jets fly, meaning they have no where to hide. Emus run, and have everywhere to hide.

TaylorFlame - The Definitive Man.
Might Of Grond
Dúnadan
posted 12-10-08 12:34 PM EDT (US)     59 / 93       
Fighters run out of fuel

Just thought I'd say that, if it comes into any relevance during this thread.
A single infantry patrol cannot kill fighter jets. Advanced SAM systems kill fighter jets. The cost of using them, especially against emus, is prohibitively high
Depends how good the patrol is at marksmanship. Also depending on the hight of the flying jet then it is possible, with a good timing to take the jet out with mortars. However unlikely.

Does my bum look big in this? Stop staring at my face.
Sargon II
Dúnadan
posted 12-10-08 12:40 PM EDT (US)     60 / 93       
A single infantry patrol cannot kill fighter jets.
I beg to differ.
Depends how good the patrol is at marksmanship.
Wait, you're planning to take out a multimillion pound fighter with... a rifle?

Good luck with that.
Also depending on the hight of the flying jet then it is possible, with a good timing to take the jet out with mortars. However unlikely.
However unlikely.
Understatement of the year. Period.
Fighters run out of fuel
That can be solved.

Veni, Vidi, Castratavi Illegitimos.
TaylorFlame
Lizard the Bard
posted 12-10-08 07:56 PM EDT (US)     61 / 93       
I beg to differ.
I said an Infantry patrol. How many patrols would carry 1 man SAM batteries?

Sargon II
Dúnadan
posted 12-11-08 02:10 PM EDT (US)     62 / 93       
Its not a battery, Taylor. I dunno how you organise infantry patrols down there, but usually an infantry section in the British army would carry at least one Starstreak.

Friend of Old
Resident Madman
posted 12-11-08 02:17 PM EDT (US)     63 / 93       
Out of interest, when did this become antoher Sargy's Army thread?

Doctor FoO
Sargon II
Dúnadan
posted 12-11-08 02:27 PM EDT (US)     64 / 93       
I've only posted twice!

It's been going on a LOT longer, with an admittedly one-sided argument.

Friend of Old
Resident Madman
posted 12-11-08 02:33 PM EDT (US)     65 / 93       
Still, Sargy's Army is kind of catchy.

Doctor FoO
Sargon II
Dúnadan
posted 12-11-08 02:34 PM EDT (US)     66 / 93       
Sargy's Sargoons...

Man of Popsicle
Dúnadan
posted 12-11-08 03:08 PM EDT (US)     67 / 93       
Emus run, and have everywhere to hide..said by Taylor

Um...i dont know Australia that well but in the bush of australia there are like 1000 yards between each tree and there are like 300 trees in Australia and the rest is flat..so where do the emus hide? and also there skin color doesnt blend in..so how do the australian army ppl not see them??? lack of training??
Shrink
on the trender train
posted 12-11-08 03:13 PM EDT (US)     68 / 93       
Well in Australia the sun is really bright and it gets in the people's eyes so they can't see the emus even if they're right next to them

Sargon II
Dúnadan
posted 12-11-08 03:43 PM EDT (US)     69 / 93       
Um...i dont know Australia that well but in the bush of australia there are like 1000 yards between each tree and there are like 300 trees in Australia and the rest is flat..so where do the emus hide? and also there skin color doesnt blend in..so how do the australian army ppl not see them??? lack of training??
Do you live in Australia? For you, sir, are a fool to say that to Taylor. If there were 1000 yards (that's around half a mile: less bush, more gigantic shrubbery), there wouldn't BE any bush. Moreover, I live in London, and have only been to Australia once, and even I know there are sodding mountains in Australia, not to mention the 300 trees.... of a gigantic rainforest/normal forest. It'd be hard to have a threatening bush fire with 300 trees.

Your turn, Taylor.

Shrink
on the trender train
posted 12-11-08 04:00 PM EDT (US)     70 / 93       
Nice try Sargon II but I don't think Man of Popsicle would lie about Australia
I definitely know who I believe anyway

Might Of Grond
Dúnadan
posted 12-11-08 04:30 PM EDT (US)     71 / 93       
You could also take out a Jet fighter with those new sound weapon thingys(I'm sorry i can't be much more precise) that are in development for international police forces.

Aha!! Bet you didn't think of that one eh?

...And don't say the stealth fighter cause my bets are that even that material won't be sufficient for protection.

Kyr Nelenar
Dúnadan
(id: darkservant)
posted 12-11-08 05:48 PM EDT (US)     72 / 93       
Is it just me, or has this gotten off topic?...

_.,-=~+"^'`:Kyr Nlnar:`'^"+~=-,._
"n rans Helara" - "Live Well Friend"
"krnai Scar-lu" --- "krnai of Thirteen"
Remember Kids: "Kyr" rhymes with fire...
Sometimes your imagination inspires other people to use theirs.-Sir Hugh-
Sargon II
Dúnadan
posted 12-11-08 06:23 PM EDT (US)     73 / 93       
Is it just me, or has this gotten off topic?
Was it ever on?
You could also take out a Jet fighter with those new sound weapon thingys
EMP, perhaps?

Might Of Grond
Dúnadan
posted 12-12-08 12:04 PM EDT (US)     74 / 93       
EMP, perhaps?
Nope, as far as I remember, something a little less pronouncable

TaylorFlame
Lizard the Bard
posted 12-12-08 08:34 PM EDT (US)     75 / 93       
Theres like 3cm between trees in Australia, its packed pretty tight in the bush, and there are a shitload of trees, I can see thousands out of my window in my backyard. And emus do blend in, very well. Like, really well.

And Sargon I highly doubt that a PATROL (a force sent out to patrol an area, either seeking an objective to locate, capture or kill, or just generally looking around the area, doing all this covertly) would carry a portable SAM, due to the nature of their mission.
Is it just me, or has this gotten off topic?...
You put ****ing ellipsis in the title, you can't complain that it's now off topic.

[This message has been edited by TaylorFlame (edited 12-12-2008 @ 08:35 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames