You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Library of Minas Tirith (LOTR Discussions)
Moderated by Lady Arcola, Blatant

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » The Library of Minas Tirith (LOTR Discussions) » Battle of Three armies?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Battle of Three armies?
Murrogh
Dúnadan
posted 10-09-07 09:44 AM EDT (US)         
The battle of five armies, at first it was three armies Elves, Men and dwarves, then came the other armies, goblins and eagles. But what if the goblins hadn't come, and thus the eagles neither, what would have happened between Elves, Men and Dwarves?

I'd like to garner some of your opinions first off before giving my opinion.

"The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever.
- Isaiah 40:8 -
AuthorReplies:
Tolkien_Freak
Dúnadan
posted 10-09-07 05:08 PM EDT (US)     1 / 11       
Depends. If Gandalf had been there, he would have put a quick stop to things, I'm sure. Otherwise, IDK.
Smeagolfan24
WICH Fanfic Moderator
posted 10-09-07 06:08 PM EDT (US)     2 / 11       
Gandalf was there, so he'd definately stop things, or at least try to. If it came down to a battle between the Elves and Men vs. the Dwarves, it'd be a close battle. The Dwarves would be in a rage over their gold, which they believe is being stolen by the Elves and Men, and the other side would have the leadership of Bard and Thranduil. I'd have to say that the Dwarves would win.

.:|Smeagol|:.
World in Conflict Heaven Cherub
Battle For Middle-earth II Heaven Replay Reviewer and Ledgend

Where did I go wrong? I lost a friend somewhere along in the bitterness.
Oh, I would have stayed up with you all night, had I known how to save a life...
Tolkien_Freak
Dúnadan
posted 10-09-07 07:28 PM EDT (US)     3 / 11       
I didn't remember about Gandalf, it's been a while since I read the Hobbit.

Yeah, the Dwarves have a huge advantage (namely somewhere to retreat to).

Would the men have fought both the Dwarves and the Elves?
Smeagolfan24
WICH Fanfic Moderator
posted 10-09-07 09:24 PM EDT (US)     4 / 11       
I believe that they were on the side of the Elves, since both wanted a piece of the treasure.

Oh, I would have stayed up with you all night, had I known how to save a life...
Arvedui
Messiah of Fail
(id: ashwin13)
posted 10-10-07 06:45 AM EDT (US)     5 / 11       
The dwarves had a far better motive to fight, and therefore more willpower. Dwarves were more or less experts in fighting, along with Elves. Dwarves could retreat into a stronghold where they could withstand a siege and break it. Dwavres would have won.

"Arvy is randomly full of win." - Skarr
|
"I don't watch cartoons, those are for third class people." - Arvy
"Yeah, children, those third class people." - Sails
And because I bet Blatant he wouldn't be orange in two days and lost... HEIL BLATANT!
Murrogh
Dúnadan
posted 10-10-07 09:43 AM EDT (US)     6 / 11       
I think the real question is if the dwarves could get to the mountain in enough strength after fighting through the men and elves. According to the book the dwarves were just attacking between the ford and the spur of the mountain, Bard claimed that they could close in from both sides with their men hidden on the spur of the mountain, but Thranduil wished to wait as long as possible before starting a war over gold. The dwarves guessed they would hesitate and began their attack without warning.

So we have the veteran dwarves, described as "Strong even for dwarves" with mattocks short and short swords, armored head to foot in Iron, set between elves on the mountain armed with bows and spears, and men and elves in the open field.

My guess is that the dwarves are very good against a foe that stands and fights, and there would be very little else they could do the dwarves would break through due to their armour and shields, and occupy the mountain in force.

Tolkien said their plan would be to open another gate, which the elves and men had insufficient men to siege and then they could send raiding parties, and finally perhaps more of Thorins relatives would come, then the elf host and the men would have nothing to do, either stand and die or retreat and forget their gold.

I'd imagine an attack on the mountain would be disastrous, dwarvish fortifications built into the living rock manned by dwarves would be dearly taken.

As, far as Gandalf is concerned I don't know what he could do to stop the fighting, in the book he could because of the goblin threat, but without that how would he convince them?

Catabre
BFME2H Replay Reviewer - Library Guildsman
posted 10-11-07 01:01 PM EDT (US)     7 / 11       
In the book it said that if Dain got inside the mountain they could have made it impenetrable and they would have started making tunnels out of the mountain to other sides of it and that would have left the men and elves in a very vulnerable position becasue the book says that they did not have enough people to encircle the mountain. Also the dwarves would have waited until more dwarven reinforcements arrived which would have crushed the men and the elves.

"Apparently, arguing for the right to do something no-one wants to do is the lifeblood of HG." - TaylorFlame

"Whatever happened, BFME2H did it better. No Exceptions." - EnemyofJupitor
Murrogh
Dúnadan
posted 10-11-07 01:49 PM EDT (US)     8 / 11       
Tolkien said their plan would be to open another gate, which the elves and men had insufficient men to siege and then they could send raiding parties, and finally perhaps more of Thorins relatives would come, then the elf host and the men would have nothing to do, either stand and die or retreat and forget their gold.

theinsaneninja
Dúnadan
posted 10-15-07 02:26 PM EDT (US)     9 / 11       
but without that how would he convince them?[/qoute]
He could always use word of power.

Winner of the Most predictably unpredictable award!

"The less people know about how sausages and laws are made, the better they'll sleep at night."
- Otto von Bismarck
Smeagolfan24
WICH Fanfic Moderator
posted 10-15-07 09:55 PM EDT (US)     10 / 11       
In the book it said that
Where? I don't remember reading that in the Hobbit.

Murrogh
Dúnadan
posted 10-16-07 11:53 AM EDT (US)     11 / 11       
It says basicly that just prior to the battle.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames