You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Library of Minas Tirith (LOTR Discussions)
Moderated by Lady Arcola, Blatant

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » The Library of Minas Tirith (LOTR Discussions) » Which one, which one?...
Bottom
Topic Subject:Which one, which one?...
Kyr Nelenar
Dúnadan
(id: darkservant)
posted 09-06-07 08:02 PM EDT (US)         
I've just purchased The Book of Lost Tales: Part 1, The Book of Lost Tales: Part 2, and The Silmarillion... I'm just asking everyones opinion (those who have read them anyway...) on which I should read first...

_.,-=~+"^'`:Kyr Nlnar:`'^"+~=-,._
"n rans Helara" - "Live Well Friend"
"krnai Scar-lu" --- "krnai of Thirteen"
Remember Kids: "Kyr" rhymes with fire...
Sometimes your imagination inspires other people to use theirs.-Sir Hugh-
AuthorReplies:
Arvedui
Messiah of Fail
(id: ashwin13)
posted 09-06-07 09:01 PM EDT (US)     1 / 7       
;D

Read the Silmarillion. The Books of Lost Tales deal with stuff about the Silmarillion and you won't understand them without a thorough knowledge of the Silmarillion. Read the Silmarillion first.

"Arvy is randomly full of win." - Skarr
|
"I don't watch cartoons, those are for third class people." - Arvy
"Yeah, children, those third class people." - Sails
And because I bet Blatant he wouldn't be orange in two days and lost... HEIL BLATANT!
Aeneas2
Dúnadan
posted 09-06-07 10:03 PM EDT (US)     2 / 7       
Yes, everything makes much more sense after reading the Silmarillion.

Aeneas l BFME2 Heaven l WiC Heaven
"The most important thing is to remember to have fun! After all, what else could be the point of nuking your friends?" - Cheesewiz
Smeagolfan24
WICH Fanfic Moderator
posted 09-07-07 10:44 PM EDT (US)     3 / 7       
I love the Silmarillion. Definately read it first. You'll love it, too, considering you're into the language stuff.

.:|Smeagol|:.
World in Conflict Heaven Cherub
Battle For Middle-earth II Heaven Replay Reviewer and Ledgend

Where did I go wrong? I lost a friend somewhere along in the bitterness.
Oh, I would have stayed up with you all night, had I known how to save a life...
Lady Arcola
SHH Seraph
posted 09-07-07 11:36 PM EDT (US)     4 / 7       
The Silmarillion will give you a much better groundwork for the other books. It is a great read and you should really enjoy it Kyr.

Seraph Lady Arcola
"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." -Walter Winchell

~ BFME2 Heaven | Stronghold Heaven | Stronghold 2 Heaven~
Arvedui
Messiah of Fail
(id: ashwin13)
posted 09-08-07 00:13 AM EDT (US)     5 / 7       
The Book of Lost Tales can be a bit confusing though. But then again, I was a mere 11 when I read it. :s

"Arvy is randomly full of win." - Skarr
|
"I don't watch cartoons, those are for third class people." - Arvy
"Yeah, children, those third class people." - Sails
And because I bet Blatant he wouldn't be orange in two days and lost... HEIL BLATANT!
Tolkien_Freak
Dúnadan
posted 09-08-07 09:26 PM EDT (US)     6 / 7       
Quenta Silmarillion. It doesn't have a bunch of editorial notes, and it makes more sense since it's the final version and not a collection of unfinished ideas.
elijahsimeth
Dúnadan
posted 02-16-10 01:38 PM EDT (US)     7 / 7       
Yeah, I started to read the first Book of Lost Tales. It is a really incite-full book on Tolkien's works and I should like to read it some day, but I decided that it would be more worth my wile to read other books. I am now reading 1776 by David McCullough.You are right Arvedui it was a bit confusing. To really understand it you have to take more time reading it. I have started taking notes on the books that I read and that really helps.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames