You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Library of Minas Tirith (LOTR Discussions)
Moderated by Lady Arcola, Blatant

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.51 replies
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » The Library of Minas Tirith (LOTR Discussions) » Middle-Earth Campaign
Bottom
Topic Subject:Middle-Earth Campaign
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Pulkit
Dúnadan
posted 05-30-07 08:11 AM EDT (US)         
I proudly present the Middle Earth Glossary: a collection of information on any and all things LotR, added to and maintained by our very own BFME2H community!

Our glossary was begun as a resource on Tolkien's fantasy world of Middle-Earth, that can be used as a ready reference. It has come a long way, thanks to contributions from you guys!

What I really like about it is that it's more readable and satisfactory. The various entries are written by us ourselves, so it matches our tastes. Unlike in other resources like the Encyclopaedia of Arda, where I find most of the entries drastically insufficient or some too detailed and long. The glossary, on the other hand, uniformly elaborates about the item/event/place/person you want to know more about, in a somewhat cozy manner.

It is still far from complete. And so, I want you all to contribute as much as you can! Check out our glossary to know the style, and write about things not already covered! You may also want to modify existing entries: that is great too.

Come on, get those books out and start typing!

Tales of Middle-Earth | Don't miss it

[This message has been edited by Pulkit (edited 05-30-2007 @ 08:12 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Murrogh
Dúnadan
posted 06-04-07 01:57 AM EDT (US)     26 / 51       
Okay, here my first big one. I thought that it would be nice to go into a little more detail.

The Disaster of the Gladden Fields

After the War of the Last Alliance, in the second year of the Third Age, Isildur and his three sons, Elendur, Aratan, and Ciryon, along with a guard of two hundred men journeyed from Gondor to Imladris to see his wife and youngest son, and to ask the council of Elrond. As they passed the Northernmost border of the Gladden Fields, on the fringes of Thranduil's realm, they were waylaid by orcs. He and his men far outnumbered formed into a dirnaith(wedge formation) and charged their foes, hoping by their great strength to scatter them. When this had failed Isildur gave the shards of Narsil to his esquire Ohtar and commanded him to bear them to Rivendell. The orcs payed no mind to the fleeing Ohtar, but threw their mightiest warriors against the shield wall of the dunedain. The attack failed, and as Isildure saw the orcs retreat to the forest fringes, he ordered his men to resume the march, to find flatter ground where the orcs would have less advantage. But they had gone scarcely a mile when the orcs drew all of their forces together and came down on them in in a great crescent, which closed into a ring about them. As the orcs closed the ring, Elendur went to his father and asked him to use the ring to command their foes to obey him, but Isildure refused, knowing that his strength was not sufficient to command The Ring. Then the orcs attacked with renewed ferocity, bearing down many of the Dunedain, killing Ciryon and wounding Aratan when he came to his rescue. Then at the last Elendur, not yet harmed (for the orcs feared the Elendilmir which he bore on his brow) came again to Isildur and asked him to leave carrying his burden (The Ring). So at last Isildur turned west, slipping The Ring on his finger, and escaped unseen into the river Anduin, only to be betrayed. For, as he struggled against the current the Ring slipped from his finger. As he came up out of the water (visible, for he had not the ring) he was pierced by orc arrows, and there he died.

Only three ever survived this disaster, Estelmo(esquire to Elendur) and Ohtar, and his companion. The rule of Arnor passed to Valandil, his youngest child.

"The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever.
- Isaiah 40:8 -

[This message has been edited by Murrogh (edited 06-05-2007 @ 00:24 AM).]

Pulkit
Dúnadan
posted 06-04-07 01:15 PM EDT (US)     27 / 51       
I've decided to write 24 Lore articles for my namesake. They should be done before the summer ends.

That's ambitious! Good luck, and I'm really looking forward to them!
im alredy workin on the Valar articles and im pretty much done with Manwe it will take me a while to do all 15 or so Valar, so wuld you prefer it if u got them all at once or as i finish them?
Post them as you finish them. That'll give us a continuous stream of entries from your side.
And you go in the news!

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 06-04-07 01:35 PM EDT (US)     28 / 51       
Woo! Good job everyone
You never know, Pulkit, you might catch me writing one

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Murrogh
Dúnadan
posted 06-04-07 02:04 PM EDT (US)     29 / 51       
Very good incentive with the names.

"The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever.
- Isaiah 40:8 -

[This message has been edited by Murrogh (edited 06-04-2007 @ 02:05 PM).]

Dalf32
Dúnadan
posted 06-04-07 03:43 PM EDT (US)     30 / 51       
Likin the name; Dalf32 the Ever-Willing. not bad...

alright, so far this is what i hav of the Valar:

Manwe, King of the Winds

Manwe was the noblest of all the Ainur that entered Middle-Earth and the dearest of the Ainur to Illuvatar. He is the King of Arda, the Lord of the Air, and brother of Melkor. Manwe and his wife Varda rule all of Arda from the top of the tallest mountain in the world; Taniquetil. He is blue-eyed, clothed in blue, and his staff is made of blue sapphire. Manwe is unable to understand the concept of evil and was therefore tricked into unchaining Melkor which led to the wars and struggles of Elves and Men against the forces of evil. Of the Eldar, Manwe is most fond of the Vanyar due to their knowledge and love of poetry. He holds the creatures of the air above all others, and uses Eagles as his eyes and messengers.

Varda, Queen of the Stars

Varda was the mightiest of the Valier, or female Vala, and the spouse of Manwe. She dwells upon Taniquetil with Manwe, helping him to rule Arda. It was she who created and rekindled the stars, lit the Lamps of the Valar, collected the light for the Trees of the Valar, and Placed both the Moon and Sun in the sky. The Elves held Varda dearest, and was often referred and prayed to as Elbereth. She was clothed in all white whenever she apppeared to Elves in visions. At times she aided those who prayed to her, such as when she helped Sam in his struggle against Shelob in Cirith Ungol.

Ulmo, Lord of the Oceans

Ulmo controlls all waters and oceans upon Middle-Earth and is the second greatest of the Valar. He dwells deep in the outer oceans of Middle-Earth, and rarely leaves them. He is well versed in song and when he shows himself, he usually appears as a giant sea king clad in mail of silver and emerald. He often helps both Elves and Men, although they rarely listen; to their own demise. Ulmo was also the one who taught the Teleri Elves of song. With his horns, the Ulumuri, Ulmo creates a music of both happiness and sadness, but which cannot be forgotten and will forever draw one who hears it to the sea.

i would always love 2 hear any critisizm on these articles becuase i want to make SURE that they are absolutely right. so if anythin her sounds wrong, tell me, id b glad 2 chek it out or change it.
and i hav a couple more that are close 2 finished, i hope every1 enjoys them!

ty Smeagolfan on the suggestion, it has been added

Dalf32 the Ever-Willing

"A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to"

[This message has been edited by Dalf32 (edited 06-06-2007 @ 04:13 PM).]

Smeagolfan24
WICH Fanfic Moderator
posted 06-06-07 11:33 AM EDT (US)     31 / 51       
Just a suggestion: For Ulmo, add in that though he helps Elves and Men often, they rarely listen, to their demise.

.:|Smeagol|:.
World in Conflict Heaven Cherub
Battle For Middle-earth II Heaven Replay Reviewer and Ledgend

Where did I go wrong? I lost a friend somewhere along in the bitterness.
Oh, I would have stayed up with you all night, had I known how to save a life...
Dalf32
Dúnadan
posted 06-06-07 04:15 PM EDT (US)     32 / 51       
a couple more articles on the Valar:

Aule, The Smith

Aule was the husband of Yavanna, and the most influential of the Valar in the Shaping of Arda. He fashioned the substances with which Arda was formed, and is the master of crafts and knowledge. Aule created the Lamps of the Valar and the vessels that carry the Moon and Sun. He created the Dwarves from impatience for the awakening of the Children of Illuvatar, and fashioned them out of stone and earth. The Dwarves were almost destroyed by Illuvatar, but the only reason they were spared was because Aule submitted them to Illuvatar's will. Aule also taught the Noldor about how to fashion gems and to manipulate stone. He is called Mahal by the Dwarves.

Yavanna, Giver of Fruits

Yavanna is the eldeest sister of Vana and the spouse of Aule. She watches over all things that grow, and planted the seeds of all plants on Arda. She was the creator of the Trees of the Valar, and she also was responsible for the the flower and fruit of those Two Trees which became the Sun and Moon. It was her mind that concieved the Ents or "tree shepherds", and that brought forth Galathilion, the White Tree of Tirion. She held much contempt for Melkor and his evils, for he perverted all the nature that she protected and held dear. When Yavanna appeared to the eyes of Men and Elves she was tall and adorned in green.

Mandos, Keeper of the Dead

The name Mandos is actually the name of the Houses of the Dead, his actual Valarian name is Namo, although all simply refer to him as Mandos. Mandos is the brother Nienna and Lorien, and spouse of Vaire. He knows all fates in the Great Music and only reveals them when Manwe wills it. He is the judge of the dead and generally dispassionate and feels no pity or sorrow. Mandos only once felt pity; when Luthien sang to him.

more r on the way!

Dalf32 the Ever-Willing

"A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to"
Jdg14
Dúnadan
posted 06-06-07 05:48 PM EDT (US)     33 / 51       
BALIN, the Dwarven Lord Of Moria

Balin was one of the few dwarves to a company Thorin Oakenshield to kill the Dragon Smaug. He was the second oldest of the group (only younger than Thorin Oakenshield) and was also the look out man.He was they speaker when they all were captured by the Elven King

After the battle of the five armies Balin was the only dwarf to visit Bilbo at bag end, due to the amount of respect he sawed bilbo when he was tricked with the help of the ring.

Balin went onto a journey to Moria to clain it back after it had fallin after the death of Durin. He eventually found his greed to be his down fall in which he awoke the balrog again. Balin is briefly mentioned in 'the fellowship of the ring' during the journey through Moria. It is also the death of his cousin which enrages Gimli into a frenzy in Balins Tomb

Well i hope thats ok
Dalf32
Dúnadan
posted 06-09-07 08:22 PM EDT (US)     34 / 51       
woot, i hav 5 entries in the glossary! go me!
benn kinda slow on the Valar entries as of late, but i will be working on the again soon.

Dalf32 the Ever-Willing

Pulkit
Dúnadan
posted 06-13-07 10:43 AM EDT (US)     35 / 51       
Lovely entries on the Valar, Dalf32, and thanks for te fantastic entry on Balin, Jdg14!

I was unable to access the computer, lately. All these entries have now been added!

How about some entries on the words 'Valar', 'Ainur' and the likes?

We are looking for short entries similar to the ones above. And we are also looking for full length articles, all of which can be found in the Articles section of the Middle-Earth Glossary page.

You can also give suggestions on improving previous articles and entries.

Keep going!

Dalf32
Dúnadan
posted 06-15-07 01:27 PM EDT (US)     36 / 51       
hey, i havnt had a hol lot of tim 2 work on this lately, but i do hav 2 short 1's 4 ya. not a ton of info out ther on these 2.

Vana, The Youthful

Vana is the younger sister of Yavanna and the wife of Orome. She spends her time caring for flowers and birds in the gardens of Valinor.

Vaire, The Weaver

Vaire is the wife of Mandos and is the weaver of fate. She weaves tapestries that are hung on the walls of Mandos and tell the tale of all Time.

hopefully the next update will b a bit sooner than this 1

Dalf32 the Ever-Willing

Pulkit
Dúnadan
posted 06-21-07 01:41 AM EDT (US)     37 / 51       
If you noticed that the later letters of the alphabet contain few entries (for example, S), then worry not. The present glossary interface is the new one; we've been slowly and painfully transferring entries from the old glossary to this new one. It's taking time, but with your help we'll have an even bigger collection!

Guys, do we need a wake up call? Start reading your LotR books at random pages. Or have a fun time watching those DVDs again, this summer! Pick up an interesting subject, and write a few lines!

Alias Alive
Banned
posted 06-21-07 07:52 PM EDT (US)     38 / 51       
*sighs* As soon as I stop visiting LotR discussions...

Ah well, I'll have to dig out my copy I suppose. Just as soon as I finish War and Peace. Then out comes the pencil and paper!
Smeagolfan24
WICH Fanfic Moderator
posted 06-22-07 02:21 PM EDT (US)     39 / 51       
Some entries:

Morgul weapons

Morgul weapons are those that are enchanted with dark magic by the Nazgul and other great servants of Sauron. The effect of the wounds can vary; the wounds carried by the Steward Boromir shortened his life and crippled him, whereas the wound of Frodo on Weathertop almost turned him into a wraith in a matter of days.

Eglantine

Sweet-smelling roses of Ithilien that Frodo and Sam encountered as they traveled through that land.

Hobbiton Hill

The Hill, as known by the Hobbits, where Bag End was dug by Bungo Baggins.

Oh, I would have stayed up with you all night, had I known how to save a life...
Pulkit
Dúnadan
posted 06-22-07 02:45 PM EDT (US)     40 / 51       
Hey, cool Alias Alive! Looking forward to them!

Thanks, smeagolfan24! I suppose they are 3 off your 24 proposed submissions for this summer?

Smeagolfan24
WICH Fanfic Moderator
posted 06-22-07 03:09 PM EDT (US)     41 / 51       
No, I'm doing Articles. Big long ones.

And my name is capatalized.

Pulkit
Dúnadan
posted 06-22-07 03:16 PM EDT (US)     42 / 51       
Oh my, Smeagolfan24 ()! That's really ambitious, and I'm glad you have taken on the challenge like a real Captain of Gondor!
Good luck! How's the progress?

Smeagolfan24
WICH Fanfic Moderator
posted 06-22-07 03:26 PM EDT (US)     43 / 51       
I'm about halfway done.

Dalf32
Dúnadan
posted 06-22-07 06:19 PM EDT (US)     44 / 51       
almost dun wit all thes Valar entries, 1 left; the most important of all, Melkor. expect this last 1 2 b pretty long. until then:

Nienna, The Weeper

Nienna is the sister of both Lorien and Mandos, and is spouseless; she lives alone in west Valinor. She spends her time weeping for and mourning the suffering of others, and her tears can bring hope and healing to those that they touch. Her tears flowed into the Trees of the Valar to bring forth their last fruit and flower after their poisoning by Melkor.

Lorien, Master of Dreams

Lorien's name means "dream-land", and he is married to Este. He is also the brother of Mandos and Nienna. He provides recovery to the Eldar, Maiar and Valar with the aid of his wife. Both he and Este dwell in the gardens of Lorien in the Undying Lands.

Este, The Healer

Este is wife to Lorien and is concerned with the healing of others. Her name means "rest" and she is generally garbed in grey.

Nessa, The Dancer

The sister of Orome and wife of Tulkas. She loves dancing and holds deer very dear.

Tulkas, The Wrestler

The last of the Valar to enter Arda and was in possession of a great gift of strength. He is marrired to Nessa, and came to Arda in order to oppose Melkor in the First War. He also overthrew Melkor in the Batte of the Powers, and along with Orome, pursued Melkor after he poisoned the Trees of the Valar. He enjoys tests of strength and the sport of wrestling, and is the strongest of all the Valar. When Tulkas appears to the eyes of Men or Elves, he has golden blonde hair, a beard, and appears very youthful.

hav fun wit thes until the last 1 is finished lol
wish me luck...

Dalf32 the Ever-Willing

Smeagolfan24
WICH Fanfic Moderator
posted 06-22-07 06:36 PM EDT (US)     45 / 51       
Some suggestions for yours:

• You might want to mention that Lorien is one of the Feanturi.
  • Nienna teaches those who come to her pity and endurance. Gandalf was one of her students who learned much from her.
  • How do you know Este is garbed in grey?

Otherwise, very good.

Dalf32
Dúnadan
posted 06-23-07 09:43 AM EDT (US)     46 / 51       
i chose to leave out things lik the Feanturi and other groupings within the Valar for later articles perhaps. so that was author's choice.
i will definetly ad the little bit bout Nienna tho:

Nienna, The Weeper

Nienna is the sister of both Lorien and Mandos, and is spouseless; she lives alone in west Valinor. She spends her time weeping for and mourning the suffering of others, and her tears can bring hope and healing to those that they touch. She teaches all those who come to her of pity and endurance. Her tears flowed into the Trees of the Valar to bring forth their last fruit and flower after their poisoning by Melkor. She also taught one of the Maiar who would become known as Gandalf much before he left for Middle-Earth.

as 4 Este's fana (appearance 2 the eyes of the Children of Illuvatar), Tolkien references 2 the appearance of sum (not all) of the Valar wen they appear 2 Men and Elves.

her it is... the final post on the Valar; its Melkor!

Melkor, The Dark Enemy

The greatest of all the Ainur and wise in all things; Melkor, whose name means "he who arises in might", was from the very beginning the enemy of the Ainur. He was impatient and led solitary searches for the Flame Imperishable in order to bring things of his own to life. He brought discord to the Great Music of the Ainur and had thoughts of his own, greatly differing with the Vision of Illuvatar. When the Ainur traveled to Arda, Melkor decided that Arda was his to control and was quickly excluded from the ranks of the Valar. He corrupted the land and some of the Maiar into his service.
He built two kingdoms, rival to the Valarian kingdom of Valinor, Utumno and Angband. During the First War between he and the Valar, Tulkas came to Arda and defeated him, but Melkor had left Arda marred. When the Valar built the Two Lamps, he returned to Arda and destroyed them both. After this he retreated back to his fortresses and built up an army of evil monsters and weapons. When the Elves were awakened, he visited them disguised as a dark rider and sought to bend them against the Valar. While unsuccessful in this attempt, he captured some of the Elves and tortured and bent them into his cruel race of orcs. In the Battle of the Powers, he was again defeated, and for three Valarian ages he was held chained in Valinor. During this time his servants continued to labor inside his two fortresses until Melkor decieved Manwe into releasing him. When he escaped Valinor, he sought out Ungoliant to deprive all of the light of the Silmarils. He and Ungoliant poisoned the Trees of the Valar, stole the Silmarils from Feanor, and killed Finwe; king of the Noldor Elves. The ever-hungry Ungoliant attacked Melkor over the spoils of their deeds, but the cry of Melkor summoned forth his Balrogs to help him escape.
He was given the name Morgoth meaning "Dark Enemy" by Feanor, and was henceforth called this. After this he managed to corrupt some of the newly-awakened Men while he defended the Silmarils from the Noldorin-Exiles. By the powerful Noldor, Morgoth was besieged inside Angband, during this time he built up his forces and then re-assaulted Beleriand with the Dagor Bragollach. He would lose one of the Silmarils to Beren and Luthien, but would ultimately build up enough forces to push the Eldar back. He fought back the Eldar until, when all seemed lost, the Valar interceded and in the Great Battle Morgoth's forces were utterly destroyed. After this he was cast out into the Void never to return.
His fana was tall, and dark, with eight great wounds (from Fingolfin and Thorondor). His hands were burnt from the heat of the Silmarils, and he wore an Iron Crown into which he set the Silmarils. He wielded the mace Grond, the Hammer of the Underworld, and a huge black shield. His servants would continue to torment Arda until the end of the Third Age when Sauron was defeated.

yes, its long, but hes important and i think this is well worth a read, morso than the others. but thats just me; dark lord, enemy of all, not really that important i guess. lol.
enjoy!

Dalf32 the Ever-Willing

[This message has been edited by Dalf32 (edited 06-27-2007 @ 05:33 PM).]

Aeneas2
Dúnadan
posted 07-02-07 05:35 PM EDT (US)     47 / 51       
Great entries, guys; we've updated the Glossary again.

Thanks and keep writing!

Aeneas l BFME2 Heaven l WiC Heaven
"The most important thing is to remember to have fun! After all, what else could be the point of nuking your friends?" - Cheesewiz
Dalf32
Dúnadan
posted 07-02-07 09:09 PM EDT (US)     48 / 51       
hers sum articles on the groupings of the Valar:

Feanturi

Includes the Valar Mandos and Lorien and means "spirit-masters".

Aratar

Meaning "the exalted", they are the eight chiefs of the Valar: Manwe, Varda, Ulmo, Yavanna, Aule, Mandos, Nienna, and Orome.

Valier

The seven Queens of te Valar: Varda, Yavanna, Nienna, Este, Vaire, Vana, and Nessa.

im goin 4 the entry record!

Dalf32 the Ever-Willing

Aeneas2
Dúnadan
posted 07-08-07 06:02 PM EDT (US)     49 / 51       
Looks good, Dalf.

On a slightly different note, the entries from our old glossary for S should be in the new glossary sometime later tonight or early tomorrow.

"The most important thing is to remember to have fun! After all, what else could be the point of nuking your friends?" - Cheesewiz
Dalf32
Dúnadan
posted 07-11-07 08:26 AM EDT (US)     50 / 51       
wat happened 2 pulkit? he hasnt posted in a while...
btw, i wont hav anymor entires 4 a while until i figur out wich 1's im gonna do next, so dont hold ur breath or anythin.

Dalf32 the Ever-Willing

Aeneas2
Dúnadan
posted 07-12-07 10:05 PM EDT (US)     51 / 51       
Pulkit's away, settling back at his university for a while.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames