You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Library of Minas Tirith (LOTR Discussions)
Moderated by Lady Arcola, Blatant

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.51 replies
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » The Library of Minas Tirith (LOTR Discussions) » Middle-Earth Campaign
Bottom
Topic Subject:Middle-Earth Campaign
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Pulkit
Dúnadan
posted 05-30-07 08:11 AM EDT (US)         
I proudly present the Middle Earth Glossary: a collection of information on any and all things LotR, added to and maintained by our very own BFME2H community!

Our glossary was begun as a resource on Tolkien's fantasy world of Middle-Earth, that can be used as a ready reference. It has come a long way, thanks to contributions from you guys!

What I really like about it is that it's more readable and satisfactory. The various entries are written by us ourselves, so it matches our tastes. Unlike in other resources like the Encyclopaedia of Arda, where I find most of the entries drastically insufficient or some too detailed and long. The glossary, on the other hand, uniformly elaborates about the item/event/place/person you want to know more about, in a somewhat cozy manner.

It is still far from complete. And so, I want you all to contribute as much as you can! Check out our glossary to know the style, and write about things not already covered! You may also want to modify existing entries: that is great too.

Come on, get those books out and start typing!

Tales of Middle-Earth | Don't miss it

[This message has been edited by Pulkit (edited 05-30-2007 @ 08:12 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Pyronix
Dúnadan
posted 05-30-07 09:04 AM EDT (US)     1 / 51       
Awesome. Though I'm not one for posting big here, I might do one, Vampires.

To those who understand, I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand, take me as I am
Not under your command, I know where I stand
I won't change to fit your plan, Take me as I am!

Winner of the Killtacular Award at HWH
MightyFireball
Dúnadan
posted 05-30-07 10:55 AM EDT (US)     2 / 51       
Oooh! I totally forgot about that. I might check it out when I get home. However, I don't know nearly enough about Lord of the Rings to actually write an entry. Sorry!

Smoke Rings Award Winner
Chill with me.
GandalfDaGraay
Dúnadan
posted 05-30-07 11:41 AM EDT (US)     3 / 51       
That's really cool, I'd probably have to read the books again to be able to contribute, though.

Heck to the darkness
"That's fairly similar to what I thought you sounded like. Deep, gravelly, and wise sounding. Though the gravelly bit could've been mic quality?" -Atzy
"HeavenGames forbid!" -Smeagolfan24
Pulkit
Dúnadan
posted 05-30-07 12:29 PM EDT (US)     4 / 51       
Making an entry doesn't require that much effort, guys!

Murrogh
Dúnadan
posted 05-30-07 12:34 PM EDT (US)     5 / 51       
Yeah, took a look and it looks great! I will have a fun time contributing. But I am wondering, how do you make changes, and start new entries?

"The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever.
- Isaiah 40:8 -

[This message has been edited by Murrogh (edited 05-30-2007 @ 12:46 PM).]

GandalfDaGraay
Dúnadan
posted 05-30-07 12:52 PM EDT (US)     6 / 51       
How do I get a username and password for the system?

Heck to the darkness
"That's fairly similar to what I thought you sounded like. Deep, gravelly, and wise sounding. Though the gravelly bit could've been mic quality?" -Atzy
"HeavenGames forbid!" -Smeagolfan24
Pulkit
Dúnadan
posted 05-30-07 12:59 PM EDT (US)     7 / 51       
No need to directly enter them into the Glossary: leave the dirty business to the staff!
All you need to do is post your entries, and they will be added. Simply post your entry here, whether they are new ones or improved versions of the existing ones, and you're done!

Smeagolfan24
WICH Fanfic Moderator
posted 05-30-07 07:02 PM EDT (US)     8 / 51       
Sweet. Just so the staff knows, I'm finishing up some Lore articles for y'all.

.:|Smeagol|:.
World in Conflict Heaven Cherub
Battle For Middle-earth II Heaven Replay Reviewer and Ledgend

Where did I go wrong? I lost a friend somewhere along in the bitterness.
Oh, I would have stayed up with you all night, had I known how to save a life...
Murrogh
Dúnadan
posted 05-31-07 04:25 PM EDT (US)     9 / 51       
Okay here is my first, to be added to the post on Gandalf.

Ol'orin had many names in Middle Earth. Gandalf ("Elf of the wand") was his name among the Northern Men. To the Dwarves he was known as Tharkun("Staff-Man"). To the Elves Mithrandier (Translated: "The Grey Pilgrim", "The Grey Wanderer", or "The Grey Messenger"). In the South Incanus, and in Rohan Greyhame ("Greymantle").

[This message has been edited by Murrogh (edited 05-31-2007 @ 04:27 PM).]

Pulkit
Dúnadan
posted 06-01-07 03:07 PM EDT (US)     10 / 51       
Just so the staff knows, I'm finishing up some Lore articles for y'all.
God sweet!
Okay here is my first, to be added to the post on Gandalf.
Added, and you're in the news!

MightyFireball
Dúnadan
posted 06-01-07 03:09 PM EDT (US)     11 / 51       
That news piece was pretty sweet, but calling him loremaster might have been a bit much.

Smoke Rings Award Winner
Chill with me.
Pulkit
Dúnadan
posted 06-01-07 03:14 PM EDT (US)     12 / 51       
Yep, it was.

That is the new rule here. Contributors worth mentioning (such as Murrogh who was the first), will get titles in the newspost! You may also decide for yourself what title you want, if you're going up in the news. Sweet, eh?

Murrogh
Dúnadan
posted 06-01-07 04:10 PM EDT (US)     13 / 51       
I'll have to keep that from getting to my head...

Calenraug
Dúnadan
(id: Calenrauko)
posted 06-02-07 00:09 AM EDT (US)     14 / 51       
I also think people should start writing Articles again. Better yet, right articles, and then write a few glossary entries to go along with it.

Player of The Lord of the Rings Online.
Server: Vilya
Name: Maegbor
Iluin
Dúnadan
(id: DKPope)
posted 06-02-07 01:46 AM EDT (US)     15 / 51       
Well, I can throw one in on Minas Ithil/Morgul for what it's worth:

Founded after the Downfall of Numenor by Isildur, son of Elendil, Minas Ithil (Tower of the Rising Moon) was built to watch over the paths into Mordor. Together with its sister cities across the Anduin, (Minas Anor, the Tower of the Setting Sun and Osgiliath, the Citadel of the Stars) Minas Ithil was one of Gondor's primary fortresses. Briefly captured during the Battle of the Last Alliance, it was quickly recovered and served to contain the forces of Mordor after Isildur banished Sauron to the void by cutting off the One Ring. It was after its brief capture by Sauron that the area around Minas Ithil was first referred to as the Morgul Vale, as many felt his influence still lingered there. As time went by Minas Ithil developed into a major city, much like Minas Anor and Osgiliath. During the Kinstrife (a dispute over succession in 1432 of the Third Age) Minas Ithil's citizens sided with the rightful king, Eldacar, and led an uprising that overthrew the usurper, Castamir. The earthworks he built to defend himself outside the city became known as Castamir's Folly. Roughly 200 years later a plague swept through Gondor, drastically reducing the population. Cities already ravaged by the kinstrife (such as Osgiliath) became virtually depopulated, some disappearing entirely. The border cities were the ones hardest hit due to the loss of trade and the cutting off of the various supply lines. Despite all this Minas Ithil persevered, developing a reputation as a center of scholarship, housing Gondor's primary university until 1856 of the Third Age, when it was moved to Pelargir. It was not until 1873 of the Third Age that the city once again faced yet another crisis. It was in this year that Sauron, having returned to Middle Earth years before and hidden himself at Dol Guldur in Mirkwood, returned to Mordor and began rebuilding his forces. In 2000 of the Third Age a massive army poured into the Morgul Vale and besieged the city and its inhabitants. The garrison at Minas Ithil held out for two years until the Nazgul used an eclipse of the Moon to sneak into the Tower of the Moon itself and slaughter the defenders. From 2002 of the Third Age and onwards the city was hence known as Minas Morgul, the Tower of Black Sorcery. The last living man to enter the city was King Earnil of Gondor, in response to a challenge from the Leader of the Nazgul, the Witchking of Angmar. The next time any of his subjects saw him his body was being hurled into the courts of Minas Anor, from that point on renamed Minas Tirith, the Tower of Guard. The few who dared to come within sight of the Minas Morgul said that it was though the city itself had died. The walls that once radiated the moon light in a gentle white glow now gave off a sickly pale green corpse-like glow, while a dull rotting haze hung over the city. The beacon in the tower, at one time used to guide travelers into the city, was now used to scour the valley for intruders. Minas Morgul served as one of Sauron's primary military bases until his downfall upon the destruction of the One Ring. At the conclusion of the War of the Ring it was decreed that Minas Morgul be destroyed and the land never to be settled again until the evil there had passed away.

My sources are The I.C.E guide Minas Ithil and Tolkien: The Illustrated Encyclopedia by David Day

Just call me David. I have no idea where I got my ID Name from anymore (okay, I do, but it's a loooong strange story!)

"No one can say we didn't hold out for 15 minutes."
Jean-Paul Sartre
Pulkit
Dúnadan
posted 06-02-07 02:29 AM EDT (US)     16 / 51       
I'll have to keep that from getting to my head...
Oh come on! It's Lorewise, not Loremaster! I guess all regulars of this forum as lorewise. You get the title because you were the first.
I also think people should start writing Articles again. Better yet, right articles, and then write a few glossary entries to go along with it.
That's a great idea! If you notice, entries like Gandalf etc. (basically all the article topics) in the Glossary are the entire articles themselves!

You can submit articles as well. All articles are now also added as entries in the Glossary. So, it's upto you to submit small-sized entries or large article-sized entries. After all, it is your Glassary!

Dalf32
Dúnadan
posted 06-02-07 03:18 PM EDT (US)     17 / 51       
id like 2 think that i no a good deal about lotr and the lore thereof, so i think i will add a few entries sometime in the near future. ill hav 2 chek the glossary 2 c wat u alredy hav and wat u need first; but expect a couple from me!

ok, i found something that i want to edit. the post on dragons...

Dragons are the most powerful and feared of all of Morgoth's creations. They possessed amazing senses of smell, hearing, and of sight, and had few flaws; that of vanity, gluttony, deceit, and wrath.

Cold-Drakes were the most common of the dragons. They possessed neither the ability to breathe fire nor did they have wings, but had tremendous strength in their scaled armor and in their teeth and claws. Nearly all of these were destroyed during the War of Wrath, but some remained and would return to torment the Dwarves of the Grey Mountains. During the Third Age many Cold-Drakes arose and drove out the Dwarves of the Grey Mountains. Scatha the Worm; the greatest of all Cold-Drakes of the land, was killed by Fram; a prince of the Men of Eothed. Later in the Third Age, the Cold-Drakes returned and drove the Dwarves once again from the Grey Mountains.

The Fire-Drakes were the most feared of the Dragon breeds. They breathed fire and some of the breed could even fly with the gift of wings. The first of the Fire-Drakes was Glaurung; not of the winged breed, Ancalagon the Black was of a later breed; the mightiest of dragons and one of the first winged Fire-Drakes, and Smaug the Golden was the last winged Fire-Drake and drove the Dwarves from Erebor; he was slain by Bard the Bowman of Dale.

i also wanna add a short article on the Children of Illuvatar...

The Children of Illuvatar were the Elves and the Men. These are the only intelligent beings in Middle Earth that Illuvatar created; hense the name 'The Children of Illuvatar'. All other living things were created by the Ainur.

almost forgot sources:
Tolkien: The Illustrated Encyclopedia by David Day
Tolkien's World From A to Z: The Complete Guide to Middle Earth by Robert Foster

Dalf32 the Ever-Willing

"A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to"

[This message has been edited by Dalf32 (edited 06-02-2007 @ 08:27 PM).]

Murrogh
Dúnadan
posted 06-03-07 06:24 AM EDT (US)     18 / 51       

Revision to The Disaster of the Gladden Fields

After the War of the Last Alliance in the second year of the Third Age, Isildur along with a company of men journeyed from Gondor to Arnor to claim its kingship. He was waylaid by Orcs at the Gladden Fields. Outnumbered, he and his men fought valiantly. He gave the shards of Narsil to Ohtar who bore them to Rivendell, while he on the advice of his son Elendur, put on the Ring and escaped unseen to the river Anduin only to be betrayed. For as he strugled against current the Ring slipped from his finger, and he became visible. As he came up out of the water he was shot by orcs. Only three ever survived this disaster, and Isildur's sons Elendur, Aratan and Ciryan were slain. The rule of Arnor passed to Valandil, his youngest child who had remained in Rivendell.

Pulkit
Dúnadan
posted 06-03-07 11:02 AM EDT (US)     19 / 51       
Okay great! Keep them coming! These are being added presently...

Dalf32
Dúnadan
posted 06-03-07 12:28 PM EDT (US)     20 / 51       
here's 1 on Feanor with a section on he and the Silmarils, as well as a section on the Palantiri:

He was originally named Curufinwe and was later named Feanor, meaning 'spirit of fire'. Feanor was the eldest son of Finwe (by Miriel); Finarfin and Fingolfin were his half-brothers. He married Nerdanel and through her had seven sons (from eldest to youngest): Maedhros, Maglor, Celegorm, Caranthir, Curufin, Amrod, and Amras. He was the most learned and skilled of all the Noldor. Feanor was killed by Gothmog; the Lord of the Balrogs and the High Captain of Angband.

During his life he invented the Tengwar, and was the first to fabricate gems. Feanor was the creator of the Palantiri; the 'seven seeing stones', and the Silmarils; which were filled with the light of the Trees of the Valar.
The Silmarils were the most coveted gems in all of Middle Earth and eventually led to his downfall. After Melkor stole the Silmarils, Feanor led the Noldor after Melkor to retrieve his beloved gems. He and his sons would swear the Oath of Feanor; he and his sons would make every attempt possible to retrieve the Silmarils from Melkor's, or anyone else's grasp. The Noldor met Melkor's huge army of Orcs at the Battle Under the Stars (Dagor-nuin-Giliath) and slayed them, but, in pursuit of the remaining orcs into Dor Daedeloth, Feanor was surrounded by Balrogs and killed by Gothmog.
The Palantiri played a pivitol role in the Third Age, setting the stage for, and aiding Sauron in, the unsuccessful attempt to wipe out the race of Men. The Palantiri were spread about Middle Earth and could be used to commune with other stone-users and, if used by someone powerful enough, to see anything in time or space. After the fall of Minas Ithil, Sauron gained control of the stone therein and used it to corrupt Saruman to the point that he raised an army of Uruks and assaulted the people of Rohan. Sauron also manipulated Denethor II of Gondor to the point that he went mad and burned himself alive during the Battle of the Pelennor Fields while holding the Palantir. The Palantir of Orthanc, which was used by Saruman, was thrust out of the tower by Grima Wormtongue and picked up by Aragorn, the heir of Isildur and rightful King of Gondor. Aragorn then used the stone to view Sauron's plan and used the information to formulate the plan that would lead to victory at the Pelennor Fields.

sry, i got a little carried away with this 1 :P
same sources as b4

if there's anythin specific that u want an article on, or mayb just a suggestion for 1, id b glad 2 do it.

Dalf32 the Ever-Willing

"A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to"

[This message has been edited by Dalf32 (edited 06-03-2007 @ 12:32 PM).]

Pulkit
Dúnadan
posted 06-03-07 02:35 PM EDT (US)     21 / 51       
Great entries!

Dalf32
I'm perplexed by your last entry.
We'd be great with an entry on each: Feanor, the Silmarils as well as the Palantir. However, smashing them together, I cannot really separate out or put it all under one title.

Also:
The Children of Illuvatar were the Elves and the Men. These are the only intelligent beings in Middle Earth that Illuvatar created; hense the name 'The Children of Illuvatar'. All other living things were created by the Ainur.
Weren't the Ents also created by Eru? (I think he gave them life when requested by Yavanna)

Great effort though. Personally, I'd love to have articles on each of the Valar. Still, I'd suggest articles on anything that comes to your mind. All is welcome!

[This message has been edited by Pulkit (edited 06-03-2007 @ 02:41 PM).]

Smeagolfan24
WICH Fanfic Moderator
posted 06-03-07 02:51 PM EDT (US)     22 / 51       
I've decided to write 24 Lore articles for my namesake. They should be done before the summer ends.

.:|Smeagol|:.
World in Conflict Heaven Cherub
Battle For Middle-earth II Heaven Replay Reviewer and Ledgend

Where did I go wrong? I lost a friend somewhere along in the bitterness.
Oh, I would have stayed up with you all night, had I known how to save a life...
Dalf32
Dúnadan
posted 06-03-07 03:59 PM EDT (US)     23 / 51       
i realize that the feanor entry was a bit jumbled. as i said, i got carried away whilst writing it.
take the first 2 paragraphs and use that for Feanor. the second is only the Silmarils in relation to Feanor so it should fit fine in his section.
the third should suffice as an entry for the Palantiri, although i may edit this later.

i will create a separate entry for the entire history of the Silmarils and their effect on everything.

the Ents came from the thoughts of Yavanna to protect the plants and trees that she had created. Illuvatar created only the Men and Elves. the Dwarves came from the mind of Aule in case you were wondering. The Valar were capable of bringing some things from their thoughts to life.

other than that i will definetly make an article for each of the Valar and what they did/created and whatnot.

sry again for how confusing that Feanor entry was though.
and sry that i keep making massive posts, but...

here's an article on the Mearas:

The Mearas were the great horses of the Rohirrim; they were the descendants of Nahar, the steed of the Valar Orome. They were the 'Horse-Princes' and would allow only the Kings of Rohan and their sons to ride them. The Mearas were white or grey in color and lived long. They were fathered by Felarof, Father of Horses, and could understand the speech of Men, so did not require saddle or bridle.

A Mearas named Snowmane carried Theoden, King of Rohan during the War of the Ring, into the Battle of the Hornburg as well as into the Battle of the Pelennor Fields. Both he and Theoden were slain by the Witch-King during the battle.
One of the greatest of the Mearas was Shadowfax who was the only to bear someone other than the heirs of Eorl; Gandalf. Shadowfax was the only horse able to outrun both the swift horses and great fellbeasts of the Nazgul. Shadowfax bore Gandalf faithfully through the Battle of the Hornburg, the Battle of the Pelennor Fields and the last battle before the Black Gates.

Dalf32 the Ever-Willing

Pulkit
Dúnadan
posted 06-03-07 04:08 PM EDT (US)     24 / 51       
There's nothing wrong with your posts, Dalf!
the Ents came from the thoughts of Yavanna to protect the plants and trees that she had created
Hmm... then maybe Yavanna just sought permission from Illuvatar to create them.

Great to hear about the articles!

Dalf32
Dúnadan
posted 06-03-07 04:46 PM EDT (US)     25 / 51       
your right, she prolly did request permission becuase if i am correct Illvatar was angry at Aule for creating the Dwarves without his permission.

im alredy workin on the Valar articles and im pretty much done with Manwe it will take me a while to do all 15 or so Valar, so wuld you prefer it if u got them all at once or as i finish them?

Dalf32 the Ever-Willing

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames