You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Innsider (Strategies)
Moderated by Sir Hugh, Atzy, Blatant

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.16 replies
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » The Innsider (Strategies) » Am I using a good strategy?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Am I using a good strategy?
Aesperus
Dúnadan
posted 05-05-09 10:55 AM EDT (US)         
I'm trying to improve my online skills against those pros but whenever I start getting units out I get swarmed. How do they do that so fast? The strategy I use mostly is build an archery range (MotW) and crank out some archers and build alot of farms and a few more archery ranges. Once I get a decent supply, I build some stables and start getting Rohirrim as soon as possible. Once I get to this point my enemy is rushing me with hundreds of troops and while I'm constantly training/upgrading my soldiers and getting heros. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Please tell me so I can improve! If it helps I can play online and show you what I mean.
AuthorReplies:
Crusard
Dúnadan
posted 05-05-09 12:02 PM EDT (US)     1 / 16       
Thought you'd never ask
Well you probably rely on upgraded and strong units to win a battle, which is wrong! Your opponents swarm you because they don't aim for a great economy system, Rohirrim and Rangers right away. Timing is important: in the beginning you'll want to build just enough farms to keep a good supply of resources to build basic troops: Soldiers of Gondor are the way to go.

It's a typical strategy to build as many soldiers of gondor right away (keeping your barracks busy at all times) and maybe build a second barracks as well. Then you send your soldiers to hunt for undefended enemy farms and buildings. This strategy puts your opponent on the defensive, so your base will be more "peaceful" for at least some more time, which you should spend on getting different unit types according to your opponent's army.

It's not easy to discuss MotW strategy in just one topic, there's plenty of guides and replays at GameRaplays which might help you improve your game.

You can also join our Hamachi network and find me there for practice if you like, or arrange to play online as well.
Aesperus
Dúnadan
posted 05-05-09 02:07 PM EDT (US)     2 / 16       
Thanks for the tip. I do normally get cheap units at first and I do get a nice amount of farms. I normally don't get a barracks, I get archery ranges since I know that most players like sending swordsmen. Archers are effective against soldiers and if my archers are in a tower it makes them a much more effective stopping force. My usual gameplan involves me defesive at first but as soon as he tries to hit me, I switch to offensive. Yes I would like to practice but I have no clue what hamachi is. Please tell me. Thanks.
Crusard
Dúnadan
posted 05-05-09 03:48 PM EDT (US)     3 / 16       
Here's a short Tutorial written by Blatant which explains how to use hamachi.

Join the first network:

Name: BFME2H
Pass: dagorlad
nenya0619
BFME2H Replay Reviewer
posted 05-05-09 09:29 PM EDT (US)     4 / 16       
I normally don't get a barracks, I get archery ranges since I know that most players like sending swordsmen
well that is the thing, archers do more damage to other units than swordsmen, but they have horrible armor. Because of this, if the swordsmen live to make it to your archers (via defensive stance and/or shield wall) they will tear you apart.

Crusard is right, GameReplays.org has excellent guides.
just enough farms to keep a good supply of resources to build basic troops: Soldiers of Gondor are the way to go
most players will go 2 farms, barracks, SoG and farm. This is a good econ start that doesn't stifle your unit production. post a replay on the site if you want more comments.

Join me and many others on RotWK patch 2.02 and enjoy the game in its most balanced form ever.

2.02 main page
Aesperus
Dúnadan
posted 05-07-09 10:37 AM EDT (US)     5 / 16       
Archers are cheap, and when a few are put next to a Heroic Statue they tend to clean up most infantry I've seen.
rammstein2129
Dúnadan
posted 05-07-09 01:55 PM EDT (US)     6 / 16       
It's simple...

Constant atacks to your opponement camp with cavalry units (principaly atack farms, as that, he can't produce more resources and units, and must spent even more money to rebuild it). While this atacks happen, you must be building an army of infantry and siege machines to destroy his camp.

The rest it's up to you!

Rammstein2129, the LORDofWAR R, from the tribe LORDS OF WAR.
from Portugal.
nenya0619
BFME2H Replay Reviewer
posted 05-07-09 04:46 PM EDT (US)     7 / 16       
Archers are cheap, and when a few are put next to a Heroic Statue they tend to clean up most infantry I've seen.
That is true, but the heroic statue is what really flaws your strategy. This game is rush based and though you can massacre infantry with leadership-buffed archers, you can't move the statue with you to take your units on the offensive.
Constant atacks to your opponement camp with cavalry units (principaly atack farms, as that, he can't produce more resources and units, and must spent even more money to rebuild it). While this atacks happen, you must be building an army of infantry and siege machines to destroy his camp.
follow that, but remember that MotW knights are not very good at rushing because they are somewhat slow. Elves have the fast cavalry, so this kind of strategy is more plausible for the elves. I stand by my opinion, swordsmen do a better job in most rushing situations for MotW.

Join me and many others on RotWK patch 2.02 and enjoy the game in its most balanced form ever.

2.02 main page
Aesperus
Dúnadan
posted 05-08-09 10:47 AM EDT (US)     8 / 16       
I think I'll go with the gondor archers in the beggining. I'll just get Theoden to walk on foot with them since he has Leadership at lvl 1.
algis1992
Dúnadan
posted 05-22-09 10:41 AM EDT (US)     9 / 16       
if i play vs Aesperus men i will start with cavalary i think tbh....
Aesperus
Dúnadan
posted 05-22-09 10:43 AM EDT (US)     10 / 16       
Tower Gaurds on the way Algis!

We all have a choice, so make yours wisely. If its wrong then make the best out of it.
algis1992
Dúnadan
posted 05-22-09 11:02 AM EDT (US)     11 / 16       
ah but than you need to build a rax too :P
so yo go for a 2farm,rax,range strat?
Aesperus
Dúnadan
posted 05-28-09 02:23 PM EDT (US)     12 / 16       
I don't use any build stratagey. I just go with the flow of things. Keeps the enemy wondering what I am gunna do next!

rax? Whats that?

We all have a choice, so make yours wisely. If its wrong then make the best out of it.
Crusard
Dúnadan
posted 05-28-09 03:42 PM EDT (US)     13 / 16       
Rax = barracks

Initial build orders aren't many, and of course they depend on the map and the opposing faction, they're never good without any tactic behind them ^^
algis1992
Dúnadan
posted 06-28-09 04:17 PM EDT (US)     14 / 16       
For me they don't depend on the map, I only play FoI2 :P
Ceaser97
Dúnadan
posted 07-03-09 09:02 PM EDT (US)     15 / 16       
archers are good, its true, but try a three point counter attack.
the bulid order, roughly:
farm
farm
barracks
farm
archery range
farm
gondorian solder
gondorian archer
dito
dito. you then attack on his right flank with some solders, same with the left, try to do it simutanulously.
However, before you attack with the solders, attack with your two archer army. the objective is to distract there army and draw there attention, then destroy there buildings with the solders. throughout this, at your own base, pump out a steady stream of troops, and after they finish killing your pesky solders, them with the full force of your army, and continue to train your forces, but set there gathering point inside the enemies base, to supply a constant stream of reinforcements. remember to continue building farms so you dont run out of command points. theres no hero that is perfect for this strategy, so if i were you, i'd build my own hero before attempting this.
algis1992
Dúnadan
posted 08-23-09 02:23 PM EDT (US)     16 / 16       
your BO does not make sense.
I will explain:

1farm
2farm
3barracks
4farm
5archery range
6farm
7gondorian solder
8gondorian archer

you build your rax at 3, and your range at 5, but you only build you soldier at 7 and archer at 8.

why than build the rax so earlie at 3, if you build the soldier only at 7?

the BO should or be this:

1farm
2farm
3farm
4farm
5barracks
6archery range
7gondorian solder
8gondorian archer

wich can be quite a good BO tbh against elves if they dont LW rush.

or it shoulc be this:

1farm
2farm
3barracks
4gondorian soldier
5farm
5archery range
6gondorian archer
7farm
8farm

however if you constantly pump sog and archers than in the BO there will be soldier and arhers before some of the building in the bo. Just imediatly star building units form the rax as soon as it is build, and continue building them.

It makes no sense to build the rax very earlie but build units from it very late. You could than asweel build the rax late (and get better eco), since you dont need it earlie since you dont build sodliers than. Get it?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames