You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Grey Havens (World Builder & Game Mods)
Moderated by Sir Hugh, Blatant

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » Grey Havens (World Builder & Game Mods) » need help with adding snow
Bottom
Topic Subject:need help with adding snow
wannabe
Dúnadan
posted 01-03-07 04:28 PM EDT (US)         
I can't get snow to fall on my map. I would appreciate it if someone would talk me through a step by step of how to utilize the map.ini that you download. I've tried all different ways to cut and paste it, but no matter what I do errors result. If any of you experienced world builders out there can help me make my simple maps start snowing I'd be greatful. I've read the script guide, but I'm really not able to find much help from it. I wish a more step by step guide to adding the snow existed out there to read over.
AuthorReplies:
Cirruis
Banned
posted 01-03-07 05:07 PM EDT (US)     1 / 10       
I have problems downloading those documents too. Try saving it and then opening it in wordpad or notepad.
MR ANCALAGON
Dúnadan
(id: Ancalagon_4554)
posted 01-03-07 05:52 PM EDT (US)     2 / 10       
Ok. Give us the error message that results when you add snow.
wannabe
Dúnadan
posted 01-03-07 07:59 PM EDT (US)     3 / 10       
Ancalagon_4554 basically it has 5 errors, 4 of which are with game.dat but to be honest, I'm pretty far from anything remotely resembling a computer guru. I'm pretty much just smart enough to know that when it comes to computer complexity I'm not that smart. My problem is I'm not sure if taking the entire sample file we are told to download and paste is the right thing to do. The file has fog, water reflection, and other components as well. I've tried just using the "Falling Snow" portion by itself, as well as the whole file, and then tried variances of it. Nothing I do with my limited computer tech skills get it to work. If you or someone else can tell me what they did to make it work that would be awesome. I've been hoping to find a map someone else created with falling snow so I can just copy that map.ini file, but to my bad luck I haven't found one posted yet. Basically I'm hoping taht someone can tell me what they did step by step to get snow to work with their map.
MR ANCALAGON
Dúnadan
posted 01-03-07 08:07 PM EDT (US)     4 / 10       
Ok. Copy and paste the error message here. Know how to do that? It's ok if you don't, but I don't want to waste my time if you do.
wannabe
Dúnadan
posted 01-04-07 11:09 AM EDT (US)     5 / 10       
Ancalagon_4554 here is the code. I don't know how to copy it directly it only allows me to hit okay, but I do know how to type, so I just typed it up as I read it in word, so here it is.

Unknown field ‘Water Transparency’ in block ‘Weather’.

Error parsing field ‘Water Transparency’ in block ‘Weather’ ini file ‘c:\documents and setting… \map.ini’, line 27.

Error parsing INI block ‘Water Transparency’ in file ‘c\documents and setting… \map.ini.
5 addresses:
(unknown)(0): game.dat+240382 Debug::PostStaticInit+3390
(unknown)(0): game.dat+2335123 IntRange::IntRange+81793
(unknown)(0): game.dat+11323 operator<<+2084
(unknown)(0): game.dat+6542103 Xfer::~Xfer+118430
(unknown)(0): kernel32.dll+94167 RegisterWaitForInputIdle+73

Because of the severity of this error the game will now exit.

Now this is when I use the sample map.ini that you download and paste it into game map file for that map. It gives similar codes if you do just the "Falling Snow" part only... etc. To let you know, the map is very simple... just four players, and nothing else as of yet... trying to get the snow to work before I add hills and stuff. I have no intent on adding lakes, rivers... etc. I will only add hills and depressions, no other terrain modifications. I have no idea what any of that error stuff means, but looks pretty important :-). Anyhow, if I take teh map.ini file out of the map folder, the game can play that map, but with it it can not. Thanks for helping.

-For somereason it's not posting one of the lines correctly, third unknown should look like:

it's leaving out < char > all with no spaces as a continuous script between the two << and the +2084. I'm typing it in right it's just not posting for some reason. It won't show up here if i put in the < char > all together touching.

Anyhow, thanks again for looking into this.

[This message has been edited by wannabe (edited 01-04-2007 @ 11:17 AM).]

MR ANCALAGON
Dúnadan
posted 01-04-07 04:40 PM EDT (US)     6 / 10       
Look for where it says Water Transparency. Right before that, make a new line and put.
End

This should do it.

wannabe
Dúnadan
posted 01-04-07 05:44 PM EDT (US)     7 / 10       
Okay, did that and now this pops up as an error:

Unknown block ‘SnowEnabled'.

Error parsing INI block ‘SnowEnabled’ in file ‘c\documents and setting… \map.ini.
5 addresses:
(unknown)(0): game.dat+240382 Debug::PostStaticInit+3390
(unknown)(0): game.dat+2335123 IntRange::IntRange+81793
(unknown)(0): game.dat+6542103 Xfer::~Xfer+118430
(unknown)(0): kernel32.dll+94167 RegisterWaitForInputIdle+73

Because of the severity of this error the game will now exit.

Not sure why it's doing that, but as you can see, I'm no computer programmer :-). This is the sample I downloaded from the site provided at EA games' website. I'm going to cut and paste the script up to where the particle system for snow begins so you can see what it looks like.

;/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
;/// General Map Settings ///

;; ---------------------------------
;; FOG
;; change RGB color of fog and density of fog

Weather

HardwareFogColor = R:120 G:166 B:191 ;RGB values for the color & density of the fog
HardwareFogEnable = Yes ;is there fog on this map?
HardwareFogStart = 500 ;distance that atmospheric fog begins. There is no fog closer than this value
HardwareFogEnd = 2000 ;distance that atmospheric fog reaches full effect
End

;; WATER REFLECTIONS
;; You can change the height of ocean/pond. Only one reflection plane per map.

WaterTransparency
ReflectionPlaneZ = 40.0 ;height of the water reflections
ReflectionOn = Yes ;are there reflections on this map?
End

;; LOW LEVEL OF DETAIL TREES
;; Your choices are TreeLowLODHarlindon, TreeLowLODArnor, TreeLowLODHighPass, TreeLowLODMordor,
;;TreeLowLODGreyHavens, TreeLowLODTowerHills, TreeLowLODIronHills, TreeLowLODMirkwood

AIData

LowLodTreeName = TreeLowLODArnor ;what tree will render on low-end computers?

END

;; FALLING SNOW
;; This code will automatically put in falling snow. The denser the snow, the more laggy the map.

SnowEnabled = Yes ; enable/disable snow on the map.
IsSnowing = Yes ; is it snowing today?
SnowTexture = EXSnowFlake2.tga
SnowBoxHeight = 500 ; height from which snow falls
SnowSpacing = 30 ; snow spacing -- less means more
NumberTiles = 4

SnowAmplitude = 20 ; amount of side-to-side movement.
SnowFrequencyScaleX = 0.01 ; speed of side-to-side wave movement.
SnowFrequencyScaleY = 0.005 ; speed of side-to-side wave movement.

SnowPointSize = 2 ; scale the size of snow particles.
SnowMinPointSize = 3 ; min point size
SnowMaxPointSize = 8 ; max point size

SnowPointSprites = No ; set to "no" for point-sprite emulation.
SnowQuadSize = 3 ; scale the size of snow particles when using point-sprite emulation.

SnowSpeed = 60 ; speed at which snow falls
SnowXYSpeed = X:40 Y:25

End

;/// Particle System for Snow ///
; This replaces every brown dirt effect with white powder effects. Whew!

This is what it looks like. The script for partical snow follows and goes on for many many pages worth of script.

Thanks for your help so far. Maybe you can make heads and tails of this stuff.

MR ANCALAGON
Dúnadan
posted 01-04-07 06:02 PM EDT (US)     8 / 10       
Just before snowenabled, (EA made an error) put:
Weather

I hope this works.

wannabe
Dúnadan
posted 01-04-07 06:13 PM EDT (US)     9 / 10       
Ancalagon_4554

First... you're a genious.

Second... whatever they are paying you at work, it's not enough if you work in the computer industry... ask for a raise.

Third... Thanks so much, you figured out the problem.

For anyone who reads this post having issues with snow, this thread will provide the solution, thanks to Ancalagon_4554.

Just as Ancalagon suggested, put Weather above the line SnowEnabled=Yes so it looks like:

Weather
SnowEnabled=Yes... etc

And you're good to go. Thanks again so much Ancalagon_4554. You should think about publishing a pamphlet on advanced scripting put in basic terms for simple peeps like me... I'd buy it. Again, thanks.

MR ANCALAGON
Dúnadan
posted 01-04-07 06:32 PM EDT (US)     10 / 10       
Nah, twas simple. Just a bit of .ini.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames