You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Grey Havens (World Builder & Game Mods)
Moderated by Sir Hugh, Blatant

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » Grey Havens (World Builder & Game Mods) » Hi there :)
Bottom
Topic Subject:Hi there :)
RiderOfEternity
Dúnadan
posted 05-23-06 07:01 PM EDT (US)         
Hey all
I was directed here by a Mr Blood Phoenix today, telling me of the amazing capabilities of the scenario editor (ie. World builder?) and limitless modding, both overlooked by most of the rest of the RTS design community.

Well, i'm here now And wish to know a few things:

• Are scenarios popular to players?
  • What types of scenarios are generally the most played or funnest (Eg. RPGs, Build&Destroy)
  • Anything else that could encourage me to make a scenario for BFME2

• Does BFME2 have a modding structure? Eg. you can easily switch mods on and off so you can play online.
  • There must a limit? Like texture size?
  • What kind of texture maps are there? (eg. AOE3 has bump and specular)

That's all
    ..for now

-Rider

PS: I am astounded at the number of newsies this design community gets.. it is a rare treat over at most other major HGs

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG

[This message has been edited by RiderOfEternity (edited 05-23-2006 @ 07:08 PM).]

• AuthorReplies:
    Pulkit
    Dúnadan
    posted 05-23-06 11:46 PM EDT (US)     1 / 4       

Quote:

Are scenarios popular to players?

Indeed! You'll find hundreds of maps are created every week to add to the gameplay.

Quote:

What types of scenarios are generally the most played or funnest (Eg. RPGs, Build&Destroy)

Basically Multyplayer maps are the easiest to make and most popular, as the game is highly MP friendly. Thus the maps tend to be B&D, but not only because of the popularity of MP, but also due to the fact that B&D are quite easy to make. RPG are too very popular, but they require devoted scenario designing and a great storyline, therefore you'll find few of them, but now the community has learned the basics and is shifting more and more towards the RPG side!

Quote:

Anything else that could encourage me to make a scenario for BFME2

There are map contests that one can look-out for. Then there's the possibility of of your map to be very popular! And if you are an LotR fan, what better than to design your own battle of Middle-Earth or a spine-chilling hobbit adventure!

Tales of Middle-Earth | Don't miss it
    Blood Phoenix
    Redshirt
    posted 05-24-06 10:53 AM EDT (US)     2 / 4       
    Hello there RiderOfEternity! Good to see you on our forums! In answer to some of your questions...

Quote:

Does BFME2 have a modding structure? Eg. you can easily switch mods on and off so you can play online.

There are three different ways modifications can be made and installed. The preferable way works that you can have many mods installed, and load your game with different versions. To good resources relating to this can be found here and here!

Quote:

There must a limit? Like texture size?

In reference to this I will quote from the Q/A seission transcript (an event we held a while back).

Quote:

Q: What image format does BFMEII use for textures?
    A: Blood Phoenix: BFME2 uses a TGA file format for images most often. The textures can be located in the texture.BIG files.

Q: Does it UV map properly when in use of higher-resolution textures?
    A: Blood Phoenix: UV mapping works fine for higher res textures. Also, most heroes have 512x512 pixels textures anyway, so there shouldn't be a problem.
    Q: What are regular texture sizes for standard units?
    A: Blood Phoenix: 128 or 256, it varies.
    Q: And bigger units like the war trolls?
    A: Blood Phoenix: 512 or higher. Sadly I haven't checked them specifically, but you should have a pretty high size.

Quote:

What kind of texture maps are there? (eg. AOE3 has bump and specular)

I'm afraid I'm not quite sure. I don't really know *to* much about this... However the files are standarly either TGA or DDS which requires A plugin. I'm sure you being an expert, will recognize the differences .

Quote:

I am astounded at the number of newsies this design community gets.. it is a rare treat over at most other major HGs

We aim to please! Good to have you around with us, hope you stay and do some modding or design work!

B L O O D P H O E N I X
    Lurking at HG since 2004
    RiderOfEternity
    Dúnadan
    posted 05-24-06 03:28 PM EDT (US)     3 / 4       
    Oh, bump maps and normal maps make flat textures look more 3D (so like you could make bricks in a wall look like they're sticking out as if they were each their own model, when in fact it is just a texture). You may have seen a normal map before, they're a purplish colour.
    More info: http://planetpixelemporium.com/tutorialpages/normal.html

Oh and thanks for the info . Another question: In recent years I've noticed online players in AOM seem to have gotten dumber and dumber... they no longer like a qualiy scen requiring strategy, they just like to get in a battle straight away on a map with like only a few, very simple, events. Do you think it's the same for BFME2's online?

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
    filmdirector2
    Dúnadan
    posted 05-24-06 04:00 PM EDT (US)     4 / 4       
    Welcome to our realm, Rider.

IMO BFME2 players are smarter than the AOE3H ones, because most of them are at least smart enough to read Tolkien.

You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames