You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Prancing Pony
Moderated by Sir Hugh, EnemyofJupitor, Atzy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » The Prancing Pony » Watcha readin'?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Watcha readin'?
Old Bachus
Dúnadan
posted 03-03-11 02:21 PM EDT (US)         
I'm sure we all read at least some books so I thought I'd start a thread discussing what were all reading right now and maybe go into a discussion about books in general.

Right know I'm reading What if? Eminent Historians Imaging What Might Have Been, an anthology of 45 essays from various historians presenting alternate history scenario ranging from the trite "What if the South won the US Civil War" and "What if Rome never fell" to more original as speculating on how things would be had Pizarro not brought potatoes back to Europe or if France simply ignored the Ems Telegram. Very good, it does a good job at helping you understand the significance of various events and individuals by taking them out of the picture. Not at entertaining as Harry Turtledove since throwing in time travel, magic, and aliens is off limits.

What are you currently reading?

Old Bachus, Napoleon of Spam turned half decent forumer
>>Winner of Most Improved AoMH Forumer '09<<
~If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it isn't in Danish, thank King Alfred.~
>>My work<<

"Once you've stooped to Cash4Gold type stuff, you no longer are a celebrity." - Mozzy
AuthorReplies:
Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 03-03-11 02:30 PM EDT (US)     1 / 11       
Sharpe y La Campaña de Salamanca.

Sharpe's Sword by Bernard Cornwell, but in Spanish. I've been 'reading' it for about two weeks, which is to say I haven't really got very far.

Most recent book I actually read was Quetzalcoatl by Lucie Dufresne. About a Viking who goes to America and finds himself hit by a storm. Ends up on the coast of Mexico, where the Toltecs find him... It was brilliant. Possibly the most epic piece of literature I've read, and I used to read a lot.

If you speak Castellano, I thoroughly recommend that you find a copy.

PROCRASTINATE NOT · JAMAIS ARRIERE
The Great Monty
Dúnadan
(id: Monty501)
posted 03-03-11 09:55 PM EDT (US)     2 / 11       
Earth by Jon Stewart. It's very informative.

I will fight for Total War Heaven.

Will You?
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 03-04-11 12:43 PM EDT (US)     3 / 11       
One Day, by David Nicholls. Not usually my thing, but recommended by a friend, and I'm glad he did so.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
TaylorFlame
Lizard the Bard
posted 03-04-11 08:38 PM EDT (US)     4 / 11       
A book called 19th Century Europe which I am required to read for my history course.

TaylorFlame - The Definitive Man.
The Best Guest
Dúnadan
posted 03-05-11 05:38 PM EDT (US)     5 / 11       
Pinheads and Patriots by Bill O'Reilly.

Well obviously biased, it provides an interesting view of American politics from the perspective of an American Newscaster.

This is Not A Sig it is a Follow up to a Post
Revora Forums for all your modding needs
TBG (He is ever so slightly more awesome than everyone else for voting now isn't he?)-FOO
BSL Clan
"mods are actually fun girls!"-Jax
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 03-06-11 07:55 AM EDT (US)     6 / 11       
On to Hogfather now, Discworld #19.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 03-10-11 07:20 AM EDT (US)     7 / 11       
I´ve now properly started on Sharpe. It's good in Castellano.

Also, Richard Hakluyt's The Principall nauigations, uoiages and discoueries of the English Nation (1589)

Good God have typefaces improved since then.

Old Bachus
Dúnadan
posted 03-14-11 04:42 PM EDT (US)     8 / 11       
Pardon my ignorance, but what is Castellano? Is it a separate language or just a dialect of Spanish, I'd assume it's Castillian.
Sharpe y La Campaña de Salamanca.

Sharpe's Sword by Bernard Cornwell, but in Spanish. I've been 'reading' it for about two weeks, which is to say I haven't really got very far.
I like Cornwell alot. The Sharpe series is pretty good but I got bored as I have a hard time with one soldier being in every (significant anyway) battle in the Napoleonic Wars and playing a behind the scenes role in the outcome. The Saxon series and the Grail Quest I really enjoyed.
Earth by Jon Stewart. It's very informative.
I allways preferred Colbert to Stewart but that book is amazing.
Well obviously biased, it provides an interesting view of American politics from the perspective of an American Newscaster.
Personally, I love reading idiosyncratic, if misinformed views of everything to know how some people think. I'm rather fond of pseudohistory/science for that very reason. Even if a work is biased I think you can still read it and form an opinion for yourself.

~If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it isn't in Danish, thank King Alfred.~
>>My work<<

"Once you've stooped to Cash4Gold type stuff, you no longer are a celebrity." - Mozzy

[This message has been edited by Old Bachus (edited 03-14-2011 @ 04:46 PM).]

Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 03-14-11 05:45 PM EDT (US)     9 / 11       
Castellano means Castillian, you're correct. It's not a dialect, however, but simply another word for generic 'Spanish.'

I've never seen the Warlord series, and thus never read them, but I've thoroughly enjoyed the Saxon series and quite enjoyed the Grail Quest too (those two would be favourite). Stonehenge, Azincourt and The Fortress weren't bad either.

Old Bachus
Dúnadan
posted 03-17-11 02:43 PM EDT (US)     10 / 11       
Well here in America "Castillian" is considered to be the standard Spanish dialect as spoken in Spain, like British English. Of course here Mexican and Southwestern Spanish are what is generally spoken as we don't have to many Spaniards.
I've never seen the Warlord series, and thus never read them, but I've thoroughly enjoyed the Saxon series and quite enjoyed the Grail Quest too (those two would be favourite). Stonehenge, Azincourt and The Fortress weren't bad either.
The Warlord series was the King Arthur one, right? I haven't read Stonehenge or any of his newer stuff. As of current I'm reading The Discoverers and The Creators by Daniel Boorstin, two nonfiction works the former discussing Mankind's discovering of everything from antipodes to Zanzibar, the latter art and literature. When I read nonfiction I allways flip through and read pages here and there, never cover to cover. Both books are very good in content and presentation.

>>My work<<

Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 03-17-11 03:05 PM EDT (US)     11 / 11       
Ah I see. Well literally speaking, 'Spanish' as we know it, whereever it be spoken, is Castillian; as opposed to Gallego-Portugués, Leonés, Asturiano, Aragonés, Catalán, Basque... the other languages of Spain, as it were.

Yeah, Warlord was King Arthur. I should hunt those down, at some point.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames