Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.20 replies, Sticky
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » Replays » Reviewing Explored
Bottom
Topic Subject:Reviewing Explored
Smeagolfan24
WICH Fanfic Moderator
posted 07-05-07 05:57 PM EDT (US)         
Reviewing Explored

A look into what a replay reviewer should look at, and what should be in the review

So what goes into a review? Why do I say what I say? After all, one whoís never played online doesnít know anything about playing with the big boys, right? Weíll see. This is meant to show you what Iím looking for when I watch you own that newbie with a Warg rush. Here is my normal layout for reviews, and descriptions of different things on it.

1 v 1 on Blah
2Blah (Bleh) vs. Mah (Meh)

3 Name

4Build Order: >>> >>> >>>

5 Pros

6 [+]
[+]
[+]
[+]

7 Averages

[=]
[=]
[=]
[=]

8 Cons

[-]
[-]
[-]
[-]

9 Overall score:

Name

Build Order: >>> >>> >>>

Pros

[+]
[+]
[+]
[+]

Averages

[=]
[=]
[=]
[=]

Cons

[-]
[-]
[-]
[-]

Overall score:

10Overall Game Score:

1 - How many players on what map. (Duh)

2 - The names of the players and their factions. (Duh)

3 - The name of the player who submitted this replay, then his opponent. (Duh)

4 - The first four things this player does in this game. We can see from this what strategy heíll have, normally, and where heíll go. The two most-used combinations are Resource >>> Barracks >>> Resource >>> Soldier or Resource >>> Resource >>> Barracks >>> Soldier.

5 - The Pros of the replay are strategies well executed, good choices, turning a bad situation good, etc. Unusual strategies that I havenít seen before also go here. As a rule, the more of these on both players, the better the Final Score will be. (Hint: If you use stances, you automatically get one of these )

6 - I normally try to give 3-5 of each of these categories, but, like in the last replay from Ludson, I canít always make stuff up to fill that order. If I feel myself stretching for things to say, I wonít say them.

7 Ė The Averages are mostly moves that almost worked but didnít, and my opinions on how things could have turned out better. I donít put them in Pros or Cons because one reviewer is not like another. Also, some small things like a good use of Rallying Call will go here, because theyíre really not big enough to be a pro or Con.

8 - The Cons are the bad strats, the dumb moves, the just plain stupid things that you guys try. This is the hardest part for me to fill, because I donít want to be too picky, although I donít put up with most things. Just as a thought, I will never not give someone a Con, because that would be saying theyíre perfect. No one but Bendak is perfect.

9 Ė The overall score of a player is how well that player used strategy and skill to defeat his enemy. If thereís more than one player, then there is the added difficulty of how well you aided your teammate. Just because you win does not mean youíll get a good score here.

10 Ė My word whether the onlooking forummers should watch this replay. Itís also the final score in the download section. This is judged by the skill shown by the player, the strategies shown, and how entertaining this replay was for me. If you use a Balrog in the battle, this automatically goes to a ten.

Alright, so I can make a review look pretty, but what about the stuff Iím saying? After all, how could I understand strategy, right? ďThose negative comments donít matter for me! I won, after all!Ē Here are the Top Ten mistakes for players that Iíve reviewed, and how it should be done (in my opinion , of course, which doesnít matter to those too prideful to see their own errors):

Stances

Youíve heard me a million times criticizing people for refusing to use them. Why, though? Who cares if my rushing cavalry unit runs straight through a defending unit in Normal stance? Iíll tell you why: Itís all a matter of keeping your units alive and destroying as quickly as you can. You donít have infinite resources (unfortunately!), so to charge through enemy lines without every possible protection you can get is just stupid. You donít have half an hour to destroy outlying enemy buildings, so to add precious seconds to the time it takes you to raze it is stupider! Itís all part of the grand scheme of micromanaging; it takes you a millisecond, it helps more than you know, and it shows me that youíre past basic playing. Why not?

Bad Placement of Buildings

Many donít understand this aspect of the game, but Bendak did. He was probably the placement master using Mordor. He would take his Orc pit and put it on the back corner of his fortress, and then built a Gatewatcher later to protect it. Want a Troll Cage? Put it on the other side with another Watcher. The goal of building placement is A) to protect it at all costs or B) hiding it from the enemy for a surprise attack. Rushing with any faction uses both. The Dwarves, for example, have to have their Archery Range protected near the base for the AT rush, but they also need their forward mine hidden from nasty enemies. See?

Overcautioning

A new word created by me. It drives me crazy to see players who have a game in the bag, an army big enough to wipe his enemy on the virtual dirt, and they wait. And wait. Then, when his opponent had regained his footing, they attack. Or another scenario, they have a host of units at their base at the same time theyíre attacking and crippling the enemy. If you have a chance to take out your enemy by bringing in your defense units, do it. Just do it while building more for defense, and seven times out of ten you will win.

Lack of Awareness

If you see that your opponent is not using pikemen, take advantage of that. Buy more cavalry and archers. Be aware of what heís buying and what heís using so you can choose the appropriate counter.

Wrong Powers

Some powers that are way underpowered, such as Summon Hobbits or Summon Wights, should not be used. Period. they waste precious PP that could be used to buy a Balrog.

Mixed-up Priorities

Ever heard me say ďAttack the builder, not the buildingĒ? Iíll tell you why: A builder costs 500 resources, and then after that, it needs to build the building, adding even more time and resources to your enemies cost. If you merely destroy the building, youíre losing the chance to cripple your enemy more.

Late Upgrades

Many think that upgrades are only a late game thing, but I say differently. In the replay on Rohan from Sir Snoopy, his enemy got Forged Blades very early for Isengard, then proceeded to destroy his enemy. If you feel your economy is strong enough, go for them to give yourself an edge over your opponent.

Resource Floating

Weíve all done it, but I donít care about that. What I care about is what you do after that shocking realization that after the dust settles from your raid, you have a large amount of money. Most immediately spend it on more units, but I think that a more expensive building, such as a Forge or Stables, or a more expensive hero, such as Aragorn, is the better rout. Your opponent doesnít see such a unit so early, and that can help your cause.

Giving Up

Weíve seen it done countless times: the player gets his base destroyed, but one builder makes it out. He goes to a hidden region of the map and builds a barracks. After he has some influence over his enemy, he builds more, eventually taking control of the map again. Never give up.

Self-centeredness

This is simple: Help your partner. Send a builder over there, and help him out.

I hope this helps to you understand better the terribly difficult life a Replay Reviewer has. Cheers to you, and keep playing.

- Smeagol

.:|Smeagol|:.
World in Conflict Heaven Cherub
Battle For Middle-earth II Heaven Replay Reviewer and Ledgend

Where did I go wrong? I lost a friend somewhere along in the bitterness.
Oh, I would have stayed up with you all night, had I known how to save a life...

[This message has been edited by Smeagolfan24 (edited 07-05-2007 @ 07:58 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Sir Snoopy
Dúnadan
posted 07-05-07 06:47 PM EDT (US)     1 / 20       
Wow, good job. That was the first time I was ever mentioned in a guide!

Retired GameReplays.org Senior Replay Reviewer
World Class Drum Corps International Mellophonist 2009
Proud Winner of "Best Newbie Award" BFME2H, a long time ago
Smeagolfan24
WICH Fanfic Moderator
posted 07-05-07 07:59 PM EDT (US)     2 / 20       
No problem, mate.

Oh, I would have stayed up with you all night, had I known how to save a life...
Sir Snoopy
Dúnadan
posted 07-05-07 08:18 PM EDT (US)     3 / 20       
I hope this gets a sticky.
< prays for sticky to the gods of mods >

[This message has been edited by Sir Snoopy (edited 07-05-2007 @ 08:19 PM).]

Ludson
Dúnadan
posted 07-06-07 04:23 AM EDT (US)     4 / 20       
What do you mean by " After all, one who’s never played online doesn’t know anything about playing with the big boys, right?"?

"A new pie is rising..., there will be no pie for Grima"
Smeagolfan24
WICH Fanfic Moderator
posted 07-06-07 10:04 AM EDT (US)     5 / 20       
I'm talking about the people who think someone who's never played online doesn't know anything about the game, and therefore should not be a reviewer.

Sir Snoopy
Dúnadan
posted 07-06-07 10:11 AM EDT (US)     6 / 20       
You have never played online?!

Ludson
Dúnadan
posted 07-06-07 12:31 PM EDT (US)     7 / 20       
That's what I'm asking

Aeneas2
Dúnadan
posted 07-06-07 12:58 PM EDT (US)     8 / 20       
Nice guide, Smeagol.

Aeneas l BFME2 Heaven l WiC Heaven
"The most important thing is to remember to have fun! After all, what else could be the point of nuking your friends?" - Cheesewiz
Smeagolfan24
WICH Fanfic Moderator
posted 07-06-07 01:06 PM EDT (US)     9 / 20       
I've never played online.

Thanks, Aeneas.

Sir Snoopy
Dúnadan
posted 07-06-07 01:07 PM EDT (US)     10 / 20       
It got a sticky, it got a stickey!!!!!
*dances*
*salutes Aeneas2*

Ludson
Dúnadan
posted 07-06-07 02:02 PM EDT (US)     11 / 20       
Warum hast du nichts in Online spielen?

Smeagolfan24
WICH Fanfic Moderator
posted 07-06-07 02:14 PM EDT (US)     12 / 20       
In English?

Aeneas2
Dúnadan
posted 07-06-07 03:11 PM EDT (US)     13 / 20       
Why don't you played online, if I'm not mistaken.

@ Ludson
English is the official language of our forums
If you really feel the need to post in another language occasionally, provide a translation.

Aeneas l BFME2 Heaven l WiC Heaven
"The most important thing is to remember to have fun! After all, what else could be the point of nuking your friends?" - Cheesewiz

[This message has been edited by Aeneas2 (edited 07-06-2007 @ 03:11 PM).]

Ludson
Dúnadan
posted 07-06-07 03:38 PM EDT (US)     14 / 20       
Sorry, I thought it would be funny and I didn't think it would be so strict and I thought anyone could understand that. German isn't my first or second language even.

Sorry again.

And the translation is why haven't you played online?

Smeagolfan24
WICH Fanfic Moderator
posted 07-06-07 08:40 PM EDT (US)     15 / 20       
Basically, it's down to my internet connection and the wierd Norton security. It's also a time issue, for I've got much more important things to do than to play games online.

Ludson
Dúnadan
posted 07-07-07 04:09 AM EDT (US)     16 / 20       
Like reviewing online games? :P

Smeagolfan24
WICH Fanfic Moderator
posted 07-07-07 09:29 AM EDT (US)     17 / 20       
Like that.

Ludson
Dúnadan
posted 07-07-07 02:46 PM EDT (US)     18 / 20       
Have you tried adjusting your firewall setting for RotWK?

Sir Snoopy
Dúnadan
posted 07-07-07 03:30 PM EDT (US)     19 / 20       
Speaking of replays and stuff, could you review this one, please?

http://bfme2.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=17,723,,20

Smeagolfan24
WICH Fanfic Moderator
posted 07-08-07 12:27 PM EDT (US)     20 / 20       
Done. I see all that goes on here, but give me at least 3 days before you get on my case.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames