You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Prancing Pony
Moderated by Sir Hugh, EnemyofJupitor, Atzy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » The Prancing Pony » ITT a friendly debate
Bottom
Topic Subject:ITT a friendly debate
Old Bachus
Dúnadan
posted 10-16-10 02:18 PM EDT (US)         
It's been a long while since we've had one of those lively, at times heated, but allways friendly debates that made me grow fond of The Prancing Pony. In our party thread we'd allways be talking about current events, science, conspiracy theories and such, though lately we haven't been. So I thought I'd start one on cryptozoology in the style of Hugh's succesfull UFO thread.

To start off please answer the following:

A) Do you think there could be many bizarre fauna yet to be discovered?

B) What do you feel about the various tapes, photos, recordings, and alledged remains of these creatures (footprints, hair)? Don't forget eyewitness reports by those who conveniantly lacked a camera.

C) Are various indigenous people's folklore of different creatures (thunderbirds, lake beasts, sasquatch) usefull as evidence for cryptids descriptions?

D) Would you be open to the possibility some crptids are not undiscovered but relict species thought to be long gone (Nessies are pleisosaurs, Yetis as Gigantopithecus)?

Feel free to post pics, vids and links to back your positions. Scepticism welcome.

Edit: Funny vid courtesy of Drakontos:

Old Bachus, Napoleon of Spam turned half decent forumer
>>Winner of Most Improved AoMH Forumer '09<<
~If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it isn't in Danish, thank King Alfred.~
>>My work<<

"Once you've stooped to Cash4Gold type stuff, you no longer are a celebrity." - Mozzy

[This message has been edited by Old Bachus (edited 10-27-2010 @ 12:46 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Old Bachus
Dúnadan
posted 10-16-10 02:26 PM EDT (US)     1 / 5       
As for me:

A) Absolutely.

B) I think many of the documentations are intriguing, I would take any unrecorded eyewitness account as face value, though.

C) Personally I think the longer people have been reporting such a creature it give it more credulance. However, many if not most folklore creatures are very fancifull with minimial basis in reality.

D) The example I listed seem possible though others seem rediculous. Speculation that Bigfoot's a neanderthal is one example. There's so many things wrong with that.

~If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it isn't in Danish, thank King Alfred.~
>>My work<<

"Once you've stooped to Cash4Gold type stuff, you no longer are a celebrity." - Mozzy
Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 10-22-10 05:21 AM EDT (US)     2 / 5       
First of all, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0pfoBDzAVg
Not that I necessarily agree with it. Actually, it makes me quite sad.

a) Certainly, particularly in areas such as the Amazon, deep ocean and caves, which we haven't even begin to explore.

b) It's hard to say. One of New Zealand's little myths is that the moa and other extinct native creatures aren't actually extinct. It would be awesome if this was the case.

c) To a point they could be, but we do need to remember that any story has the tendency to grow over time, and over hundreds or thousands of years...

d) See the video/point b. As I said, for us to find out that there are moa chilling it in the South Island of NZ would be legendary. Finding a pleisosaur in Scotland does sound oh-so-slightly less likely. We can but hope.

PROCRASTINATE NOT JAMAIS ARRIERE
Old Bachus
Dúnadan
posted 10-23-10 01:32 PM EDT (US)     3 / 5       
Thanks for that link. I've heard plenty about Tasmanian Tigers surviving and even mammoths, but moas? Never heard that one. I hope they're still around. Then we can farm them and I can have indulge in moa steak and omelets made from moa eggs! If it tastes anything like ostritch and emu were in for a treat. Of course, anything that's supposedly been hunted to extintion but be pretty good.

>>My work<<

Drakontos
Dúnadan
posted 10-23-10 03:19 PM EDT (US)     4 / 5       
Yeah, supposedly they frolic in the little-populated, rugged South Island.

I'm not sure what I'd think if it turned out our Giant Eagles were still around though. Being taken out by a hungry eagle when you're hiking or skiing, while novel, isn't that high on my to-do list.

PROCRASTINATE NOT JAMAIS ARRIERE
Old Bachus
Dúnadan
posted 10-27-10 12:53 PM EDT (US)     5 / 5       
I'd be scared shitless if Haast's Eagles turned out to be reall. We didn't have any in America, but we did have our own (granted smaller) giant eagle and also giant vultures, but they almost certainly died out not long after the ground dwelling megafauna did, probably due to not enough carrion.

New Zealand still has some badass birds. Like kiwis, rain forest penguins, flightless parrots, and carnivorous parrots.

>>My work<<

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames