Skip to content
News Archives - September 2006
- Top 20 Countdown!
- Posted on 9/29/2006 at 5:57 PM by FD2
- With its uninterrupted prosperity, BFME2 has been clinging to the charts of the most games sold in the United States in the past 6 months.
1) Company Of Heroes (DVD) - THQ
2) Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy - LucasArts
3) World Of Warcraft - Vivendi
4) Company Of Heroes Collector's Edition - THQ
5) The Sims 2 Glamour Life Stuff Expansion Pack - Electronic Arts
6) The Sims 2 - Electronic Arts
7) Company Of Heroes (CD) - THQ
8) Civilization IV - 2K Games
9) Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - 2K Games
10) Age Of Empires III - Microsoft
11) Warcraft III Battle Chest - Vivendi
12) Guild Wars Factions - NCsoft
13) Battlefield 2 Deluxe - Electronic Arts
14) Madden NFL 2007 - Electronic Arts
15) The Sims 2 Open For Business Expansion Pack - Electronic Arts
16) Star Wars: Empire At War - LucasArts
17) Civilization IV: Warlord Expansion Pack - 2K Games
18) Heroes Of Might & Magic V - Ubisoft
19) Lord of the Rings: Battle For Middle Earth II - Electronic Arts
20) Guild Wars - NCsoft
It's steady at #19, with fellow HG games Age of Empires III at #10 and and Star Wars: Empires at War at #16.
Thanks to Middle Earth Vault for the news!
- Lobby lag to be fixed in 1.06
- Posted on 9/29/2006 at 11:33 AM by Bendak
- Hey guys!
Word from EA about the lobby lag we encountered in 1.05.
Patch 1.06 is looking to deploy early next week and will fix the lobby lag you have been experiencing. We apologize for this. The error is related to the online development building of The Rise of the Witch-king, there was a code error that could not have been detected until patch 1.05 went live and was under heavy traffic. To put it simply, this error could not be found without the patch being live. We have fixed it this week and should be deploying this patch next week.
Good news for all the complainers!
- Tournament Registration!
- Posted on 9/28/2006 at 11:39 AM by Kester
- There are a few days left to register for the War of the Ring NetCampaign tournament, but the deadline may be extended. This is a Risk-style tournament. In case you've been waiting for others to pick their spots on the map first - don't hold off any longer! Registration is done here, and the competition rules are here.
- Reviewer Ranks Grow
- Posted on 9/27/2006 at 2:39 AM by Kester
- Yes, there is another new replay reviewer at BFME2 Heaven! Scrat Master has agreed to join the replay reviewer team, and we are happy to have him. Time to put him to work, along with the other replay reviewers... submit your replay here!
- 1v1 Ladder Tourney from Dell
- Posted on 9/26/2006 at 11:58 AM by Kester
- Dell and Gamespy are teaming up to present a 1v1 Ladder Tournament with the following Grand Prize: Dell XPS 700 & $2000 cash! There is also a Sweepstakes Prize of a $500 Direct2Drive.com Gift Certificate. Signups will begin soon, so check back for further details.
- New Replay Reviewer
- Posted on 9/25/2006 at 9:33 PM by Kester
- BFME2 Heaven is pleased to welcome a new replay reviewer to the team - Suicidal Scotsman! Suicidal Scotsman brings a lot of in-depth knowledge of the game which will certainly be an asset as he writes reviews and offers advice. To submit your replays, go here, and also make a thread about it in this forum.
- Replay of the Week!
- Posted on 9/24/2006 at 3:52 PM by Kester
- The new Replay of the Week is the first one submitted from the new 1.05 patch (by yours truly), and features Mordor versus Elves on Forlindon. Lots of ships were used in the making of this replay, so enjoy!
- Poll Round-up!
- Posted on 9/21/2006 at 10:13 PM by Kester
- It looks like the third and final volume of Lord of the Rings is far and away the favorite, as evidenced by our last poll! The first two volumes were nearly the same.
The Fellowship of the Ring [99 votes]
The Two Towers [96 votes]
The Return of the King [245 votes]
In the new poll you can give your feedback regarding how you like the new 1.05 patch. Vote here!
- Do You Know That Smell?
- Posted on 9/20/2006 at 3:22 PM by FD2
- You know, the one of large leather-bound books that smell of mahogany as you walk into a room filled with old documents and archives? Everyone loves it, so we've got a new archive open! The new Replay of the Week Archives is now available for your personal viewing pleasure, although we may not be able to smell it from our computers.
- Battle of the World Builders Contest Results
- Posted on 9/19/2006 at 12:49 PM by Kester
- The judging is complete, and we have a winner in the mapmaking contest!
First place is "The Battle for the Mines" by Maxime Chevalier.
Second place is "Aqualonde" by TFlame.
Third place is "The Great Desert of Harad" by JBV.
Congratulations to the winners, and thanks to everyone who entered!
- Goblin Changelist & 1.05 Patch
- Posted on 9/19/2006 at 12:12 PM by Kester
- EA has released the changelist for the Goblin faction. Here are the hero changes:
Goblin King cost 1100 (from 3000), health 2200 (from 3000), buildtime 40s (from 30s), Check out Revan's thread for all the details. EA has also announced the 1.05 patch will be released today around 5 or 6:00 PST!
pre-attack delay 200ms (from 1s), damage 190 (from 300); summoned fire drakes start on level 7
Shelob health 4000 (from 4500), buildtime 50s (from 45s), armor type now Tough- hero (from custom armor),
trample damage 250 (from 200), pre- attack delay 300ms (from 900ms); minimum crush velocity 75% (from 30%),
+7% speed when charging; can now climb hills
Drogoth buildtime 115s (from 60s), speed reduced by 10%, healing start delay 40s (from 15s);
more resistant to magic (40% from 200%), pierce (40% from 100%) and poison (40% from 80%); more vulnerable to
flame (60% from 1%) and structural (75% from 50%); plow damage does -75% to structures;
Fireflight radius 60 (from 100), range 150 (from 300)
- Replay of the Week!
- Posted on 9/17/2006 at 3:44 PM by Kester
- This week's replay is from a 2v2 game submitted by Paronsplit. In this match watch as Isengard and Elves take on Mordor and Dwarves. Replay of the Week, with links to the replay and the review, can be found here.
- Like A Rolling Stone...
- Posted on 9/16/2006 at 5:54 PM by FD2
- ...the patches keep coming and coming! This one, in fact, marks a debut! Patch 1.01 for Xbox360 was released in the recent past, and here's what EA has to say:
Patch 1.01 for The Battle for Middle-earth II for Xbox 360 addresses a few technical issues, the most notable being the multiplayer issue regarding users disconnecting during multiplayer matches and not receiving a loss for foul play.
In Patch 1.01, if a user disconnects on his opponent, the player with the higher disconnect percentage will get an automatic loss, and their opponent, an automatic win.
You can view the full patch information here.
- War of the Ring NetCampaign
- Posted on 9/16/2006 at 12:38 AM by Kester
- BFME2 Heaven is now beginning sign-ups for a new tournament, the War of the Ring NetCampaign. This is a Risk-style tournament, limited to 38 players, with the ultimate goal of conquering all of Middle Earth. The final four survivors each win a Zboard and BFME2 keyset, given by Zboard. Special thanks go out to One Dead Angel, Angel Pete and Phillistine for their scripting in creating the map and tournament!
Sign-ups will continue until September 30th, and gameplay begins October 1st. The Tournament forum with all of the rules is here. The game map of Middle Earth, where you can register to participate, is here. Good luck, and have fun!
- BFME Tournament at BTT
- Posted on 9/12/2006 at 1:38 AM by Kester
- BTT is taking sign-ups for a 1v1 tourney for BFME - that's the original game, not BFME2! Matches begin on September 16th, and continue every Saturday until there is a winner. 1st Place prize is a Zboard Merc, and 2nd is a Logitech G5 Gaming Mouse. Details on the tournament are available here. The tournament begins this weekend, so hurry over and register now!
- Any Way You Want It...
- Posted on 9/11/2006 at 7:47 PM by FD2
- ...that's the way you need it. What is it, you say? It's the new official map pack Aragorn's Journey (speaking of Journey, of course) released from EA! The map pack is only available on the Xbox360 and downloadable from there with 350 MS Points.
- Poll Round-up!
- Posted on 9/11/2006 at 11:16 AM by Kester
- In our last poll we asked, "What would you like to see more of at BFME2H?" The top three winners were: new maps, game mods, and strategies.
forum parties [92 votes]
single player mission walkthroughs [166 votes]
strategies [324 votes]
contests (writing, art, etc.) [93 votes]
tournaments [146 votes]
lore articles [126 votes]
game mods [377 votes]
new maps [437 votes]
replays [122 votes]
ladder games [85 votes]
Thanks for participating and providing your feedback in that poll! Now we are asking which is your favorite volume in the Lord of the Rings trilogy - vote here!
- Replay of the Week!
- Posted on 9/10/2006 at 5:28 PM by Kester
- Our Replay Reviewers have found another fantastic replay for you to watch this week! This one was submitted by RedNomad, who plays as Isengard, taking on JR|Miguel as Mordor. Look here for the review and the replay!
- Isengard 1.05 Changelist
- Posted on 9/9/2006 at 10:54 AM by Kester
- Thanks to Revan for the heads-up on the Isengard changelist for the next patch! Here's the start of it:
Uruk Fighter population 75 (from 60), buildtime 33s (from 30s), deals Uruk damage (from slash), capture time 20s (from 15s); more pierce resistant (140/40% from 150/75%), more vulnerable to Uruk (150% from 100%) and crush (150/75% from 100/50%); bloodthirst experience bonus +20% (from +10%) To see the rest of it and comment, go here!
- Bring Your Finest Meats And Cheeses!
- Posted on 9/9/2006 at 7:14 AM by FD2
- That's right, folks! It's time to take them to market. And, of course, by your meats and cheeses we mean thoughts and feelings, and by market we mean a survey. HG's critically acclaimed tech wizard Zen jas created a survey that asks you how you feel about the forum software, among other things. It only takes a few minutes to fill out.
- Caesar IV Heaven Launches!
- Posted on 9/8/2006 at 9:59 AM by Kester
- The newest heaven at HeavenGames launched today, for the upcoming game from Tilted Mill, Caesar IV! About the game:
Starting as governor of a newly formed province in the Roman Empire your goal is simple: advance up the empire's political ladder to become the next Caesar. As governor, you will have total control over your province: including city planning, finances, and defenses. As you succeed you will be given new challenges in other provinces within the Roman Empire ultimately ending in the heart of the empire: Rome. After checking out Caesar IV Heaven be sure to visit the newly reskinned City Builder Heaven forums and join us in welcoming the new heaven and new staff here!
- Lost For Words
- Posted on 9/7/2006 at 9:40 PM by FD2
- Sauron is, of course - all because his trinkets are found! The Swords of Sauron contest has come to a close, and we've got five winners: Shan, Irish_Crusader, Sunshine, Saukoon, and Seany Boi! Congrats to all! Here are the answers for the contest:
Creating Water Bodies
The bonus image (found by no one) was accessible through the links page. On the page, there was a site called GameStampede, and if you clicked it, it would take you right there.
Congratulations to our winners, and my Sauron be with you!
- It's The End Of The World As We Know It
- Posted on 9/5/2006 at 10:17 PM by FD2
- That's right. Sauron needs his swords. There's less than 26 hours left before the Swords of Sauron contests is over. The images are still hidden, and Sauron isn't the best finder, from what you can tell. You can view the full contest information here.
- HGExpo : Banner Contest Launched!
- Posted on 9/4/2006 at 7:27 AM by Blood Phoenix
- HGExpo, the event which is set to bring HeavenGames together has launched a banner contest for their forums! Any forummer/staff who is not judging is permited to enter the contest - the prize being your very own HG T-shirt!
Make sure to check it out here!
- First Replay of the Week
- Posted on 9/3/2006 at 12:30 PM by Kester
- Today BFME2 Heaven launches a new feature - Replay of the Week! Every week Replay Reviewers Revan and Victor von Doom will select the best or most interesting replay submitted to our downloads section that week and feature it in this thread. Keep an eye on the thread - if your replays are chosen for Replay of the Week three times, you'll win a prize! Check out this week's best replay here!
- Dagorlad Is The New Pink
- Posted on 9/2/2006 at 1:53 PM by FD2
- That's right. Pink's out, folks. Dagorlad's in. We can apply this quite literally to the late Multiplayer forum, which recently got a new facelift complete with a name and logo. Congratulations to GandalfDaGraay for thinking of the winning name and designing the logo.
- Mordor 1.05 changelist released!
- Posted on 9/1/2006 at 11:58 AM by Bendak
- Checkout the Mordor 1.05 Changelist at our Argonath forum. Thanks to Legolaim for letting us know so fast! Some interesting items:
•Orc warrior buildtime 14s (from 25s), cost 50 (from 100), speed 40 (from 50), population 40 (from 60); damage is now 12 Uruk (from 20 slash), delay between shots 2.4 s (from 1s), +80% damage bonus vs structures; more resistant to pierce (120% from 150%) and Uruk (50% from 100%), more vulnerable to slash (100% from 70%) and poison (150% from 100%); bloodthirst experience bonus +150% (from +95%)
• Mouth of Sauron cost 2000 (from 1500), health 2800 (from 5000), buildtime 70s (from 45s), unmounted armor type hero-light (from hero), mounted armor tough-hero (from hero- mounted); detects stealth (450 range), attack has splash damage (11.5 radius); Evil Eye on level 3 (from 10), damage halved against ents; dissent level 10 (from 6), radius 160 (from 100) and recharge 3m20s (from 2m)