Skip to content
News Archives - August 2006
- Map Contest Deadline
- Posted on 8/31/2006 at 11:54 AM by Kester
- Today is the deadline for our Battle of the World Builders map contest! If you have one you've been working on, now is the time to send it in. Details on what to do are here.
- BFME2 at Cyberathlete Amateur League
- Posted on 8/27/2006 at 12:16 PM by Kester
- The Cyberathlete Amateur League (CAL) is starting a new division for Battle for Middle Earth II. This league will consist of 10 weeks of scheduled matches, followed by a single elimination playoff tournament to determine the overall season winner. Further information about CAL can be found here.
- It's Voting Time!
- Posted on 8/27/2006 at 8:41 AM by FD2
- That's right, we've got two brilliantly crafted logos, and it's time for you to decide which one we'll be putting up. Voting ends Friday, September 1st, 11:59 EST.
- You're In The Service Of Sauron, Now!
- Posted on 8/26/2006 at 9:45 PM by FD2
- Better than the Steward, eh? Being quite forgetful, Sauron has the habit of leaving his swords around town, and there's sets of 6 swords hidden on the site!
For the full contest information, see this thread.
- Sniggles Strikes Again!
- Posted on 8/25/2006 at 12:48 PM by Blood Phoenix
- Sniggles, one of the community's top modders has released the latest version of his "Full Gameplay Modification" series!
Download the modification here!
Also, feel free to discuss this modification here on the forums!
- MEC Contests
- Posted on 8/24/2006 at 7:19 PM by Kester
- Middle Earth Center is hosting two major summer competitions. One of them is a mapping competition that involves making a map never seen in the movies. The other one is a modelling/skinning and coding competition where the task is to make the best Radagast unit for BFME II. The deadline is fast approaching! For details, check here.
- Changelist for the Elves 1.05!
- Posted on 8/24/2006 at 4:32 PM by Bendak
- Gamers of BFME2 Heaven, unite and all go to the Argonath forum where the Elven changelist for the upcoming patch 1.05 is displayed!
Some hot items:
'• Mirkwood Archer available on level 2 archery range (from 3), cost 700 (from 800), health 200 (from 150), population 80 (from 60); more resistant to pierce (70% from 100%), fire and magic (60% from 100%); silverthorn arrows have a -75% damage penalty vs summoned units'
'• Ent Allies and Eagle allies powers positions switched; Ent allies power now summons 3 ents (from 4), fade in time 8s (from 2s); Enshrouding Mist recharge 4m30 (from 6m); Farsight now increases the vision (15%) and attack range (10%) of archers, heroes, cavalry and artillery units, for 45 seconds, duration 1m (from 2m), recharge 2m (from 3m)'
'• Legolas cost (2000 from 3000), range (380 from 400) and health (1500 from 3000) reduced, buildtime 95s (from 30s), innate heal reduced (20 per second from 30), hawk Strike recharge 1m30s (from 30s), knife fighter level 6 (from 2), arrow wind level 10 (from 7)'
- Contest Deadlines!
- Posted on 8/23/2006 at 3:42 PM by Kester
- Deadlines for two contests are fast approaching. First is the Logo Contest for the Multiplayer Forum, in which the winning logo graces the forum for a very long time. Details for the Logo Contest can be found here.
Second is the World Builder contest. The deadline for submitting your skirmish map is on the 31st! If you need more info on how to make a skirmish map, check out this tutorial. Contest information is here, and time is running out, so get your entry in soon!
- A Look at Rise of the Witch-King!
- Posted on 8/22/2006 at 9:24 AM by Aeneas2
- IGN has recently released an article featuring information on the upcoming expansion to BFME2; The Rise of the Witch-King! You can read the article, which features information on several units and powers of the new faction, Angmar, here. Along with the article are several screenshots, and even a video. Watch the video here! After that, come and discuss it on our forums.
Thanks to Scrat Master for the heads-up.
- Rise of the Witch-King box art!
- Posted on 8/19/2006 at 10:13 AM by Bendak
- EA just displayed the box-art of The Rise of the Witch-King, BFME2's expansion pack! It looks like EA chose to continue the flashy green color scheme from BFME2.
Discuss it here at our boards!
- New BFME2 Modpacks
- Posted on 8/17/2006 at 11:57 AM by Kester
- We've had three new mods released this week, two by Tom8778 and one by Gansnudel. Gansnudel's Bfme2PolishedV1_4 and Tom8778's Battle for Middle Earth 2.5 v2.1.5 each make a lot of balance changes to the game. Ranger Mod by Tom8778 makes changes to the Mirkwood Elves, Ithilian Rangers, heroes and more. Give them a try and let the modders know what you think!
- Patch 1.05 Balance Notes
- Posted on 8/14/2006 at 7:08 PM by Kester
- APOC has just posted notes on balance changes in the upcoming 1.05 patch over at EA's forums. These are quite detailed, and are the "most important generic changes (not all) and all the Dwarven specific changes". To see all the changes and comment on them, head over to Suicidal Scotsman's thread!
- Ready The Arsenal!
- Posted on 8/12/2006 at 10:27 PM by FD2
- That's right, bring out Photoshop, Paint, or whatever you got on your hard drive to the front lines, as the Multiplayer Forum is having a logo contest! The winning logo can also choose the name of the forum. For more information, take a look at this thread.
- Interview With An Expert
- Posted on 8/12/2006 at 6:45 PM by FD2
- Dennis1987, the winner of the Middle Earth Madness tournament, has some helpful tips and advice for new players. He says:
I don't think that some strategies can make someone to a champion or number one. It's always more than it. Of course strategies are the basics, but you need to beat someone who is better than others if you want to be the best. You need to be something special. The strategies can be copied, the feeling of the game not.
You can read the full interview here.
- The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar
- Posted on 8/12/2006 at 10:34 AM by Kester
- The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar, an MMPORG based on the works of Tolkien, premieres later this month at the Edinburgh Interactive Entertainment Festival 2006’s (EIEF06) Game Screenings event. EIEF06 is being held at The Odeon, Lothian Road, Edinburgh on Tuesday August 22nd.
The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar is currently being developed by Turbine, Inc., a premier publisher of online subscription entertainment.More information about the event is available here.
The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar will allow players to forge heroic legacies in the War for Middle-Earth. Gamers will experience an evolving persistent recreation of Tolkien’s world-renowned fantasy realm where they can establish their unique reputations, and discover and wield legendary weapons in strategic battles, while adventuring solo or in Fellowships.
This game spans legendary Eriador, including the pastoral Shire, the Elven enclave of Rivendell, rustic Bree, and more. As the lands of Middle-Earth fall under a growing threat from the dark realm of Angmar, only the mightiest of deeds and the stoutest of hearts can halt the advance of Sauron’s minions.
- Poll Round-up!
- Posted on 8/10/2006 at 1:09 PM by Kester
- Our previous poll wrapped up the favorite hero series by pitting the winners of the previous polls against each other. The overall favorite hero is the Witch-King! This bodes well for the upcoming expansion, The Rise of the Witch-King. In descending order of popularity, the breakdown of votes is as follows:
Witch-King [441 votes]
Legolas [317 votes]
Gandalf [287 votes]
Drogoth [228 votes]
Lurtz [139 votes]
Gimli [106 votes]
In the new poll we are asking for what you would like to see more of at BFME2H - you can select more than one option. Vote here!
- The Hunt for the Ring (Part I)
- Posted on 8/8/2006 at 9:23 PM by Aeneas2
- AgeofKnights has written the first part of his Middle Earth Lore article that tells of the Hunt for the Ring at the beginning of the War of the Ring. You can read it here.
- Posted on 8/6/2006 at 9:04 PM by Aeneas2
- Our Middle Earth Lore section has just recieved an excellent addition in the form of another article by Boddah. This one tells of Galadriel, queen of Lothlorien. You can read it here.
- G-Phoria 2006
- Posted on 8/6/2006 at 12:36 PM by Kester
- LOTR: BFME2 has been nominated in G4's G-Phoria 2006 in the Strategy category. Other nominated games are: Advance Wars, Age of Empires III, Fire Emblem, and SW: Empire at War. The results will be revealed August 8th at 6 p.m. EST. Vote for your favorite (BFME2, of course) by following this link.
- Power Modifications - Tutorial Released!
- Posted on 8/3/2006 at 7:57 PM by Blood Phoenix
- BP today released his 8th mini guide in the series - Power Modifications. The guide teaches the concept of simple editing of the powers INI - but with great results. A great starter INI tutorial, and well worth a read for all levels!
Make sure to check it out here!
- Mapmaking Contest - Midway Point
- Posted on 8/1/2006 at 2:58 PM by Kester
- We're halfway through the mapmaking contest - one month left to submit your entry! The entries are to depict a location from the Lord of the Rings books or movies. Details on the contest are here. The deadline is August 31st!