Skip to content
News Archives - July 2006
- Of Hobbits
- Posted on 7/27/2006 at 1:55 PM by Aeneas2
- If you've ever wanted to learn about the race of Hobbits, now is your chance. Aeneas2 has written an in-depth article featuring Hobbits, their history, their culture, and more. It starts with a quote from the wizard Gandalf...
"Hobbits truly are amazing creatures, as I have said before. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch." Read more here.
- Details on Rise of the Witch-King
- Posted on 7/27/2006 at 1:54 PM by Kester
- IGN interviewed Producer Amir Rahimi of EA LA on the new expansion for Battle for Middle Earth II - the Rise of the Witch-King.
After 1000 years of peace that followed the Battle of the Last Alliance, evil once more began to spread across Middle-earth. Leading the charge was the Witch-king, who established a kingdom in the land of Angmar and waged a 500-year war against the Arnor, the ancestors of Aragorn and one of the greatest kingdoms of men.
Some of the new findings: an overhaul to the War of the Ring mode, and a new Angmar faction!
The Angmar faction can be thought of as the evil counterpart to The Battle for Middle-earth II's Dwarven faction; they will be strong and sturdy, but slow. With the introduction of Angmar's Thrall Master unit, players will find a whole new level of army customization. The Thrall Master has the ability to summon various types of Angmar forces to battle on the fly. Angmar's innovative Sorcerer unit is The Battle for Middle-earth series' most effective support unit to date. Sorcerers consume the souls of their acolytes in order to generate the energy it takes to use their many specials powers. To read the full interview and see some great screenshots, go here! Forum discussion on the expansion is here. Thanks to Lord Wolf for the heads-up on this interview!
- HGExpo 2006
- Posted on 7/26/2006 at 10:22 PM by Blood Phoenix
- Today HGExpo was officially announced! This event is planned to celebrate all things from Scenario Design to Modifications! With some great activities, lessons and contests planned its sure to be great fun and a worthwhile visit!
Want to know more? Take a look here!
- New Patch 1.05 detail info!
- Posted on 7/26/2006 at 3:59 PM by Bendak
- Stunning news from APOC!
He revealed most of Men of the West's patch 1.05 details.
Check it out here at our boards!
Some hot items:
•Wall health increased (3500 from 1500), cost per segment reduced (30 from 50); wall gates cost 300 (from 500) health 2200 (from 1500), postern gates 700 (from 300)
Looks like we'll be seeing Gandy back on the battlefield, together with neat wall defences! Those are definately things the community asked for, so cheers, APOC :).
•Gandalf cost now 5000 (from 3000), health (4300 from 2400) and damage on foot (300 from 150) increased; Wizard Blast recharge time increased (45s from 30s), lightning strike base damage 680 (from 360) and 200 against heroes (from 360); Shadowfax on level 4; Gandalf the white bonus restored - adds up 200 health, doubles his spells damage and reduce the powers timer recharge by 25%; Istari light damage 1500 (from 3000), recharge 3 mins (from 1m30s)
- New Modding Guide Released!
- Posted on 7/26/2006 at 10:58 AM by Blood Phoenix
- Today I released the latest guide in my mini guide series - "Give Yourself Credit". This guide features information about editing the credit files, and adding yourself in for any modification you've made (Obviously however, this should not be abused).
You can find the new guide here!
- Rise of the Witch-King ADD-ON!
- Posted on 7/24/2006 at 5:04 PM by Bendak
- BFME2 is going to have an expansion pack, called Rise of the Witch-King!
EA recently revealed their new expansion for the BFME2 at the Comic-Con convention in San Diego, California. More updates later in the week! - EA ApocIt looks like we are either going to play with The Witch-King's armies or going to crush them with the powers of good. Looks like a cool story for a BFME campaign! Who doesn't fear the mystical leader of the Nazgul, the old King of Angmar, who is said that no man could kill him?
Watch BFME2 Heaven for more updates!
Discuss BFME2: The Rise of the Witch-king here at our boards!
- Tournament Results
- Posted on 7/23/2006 at 11:54 AM by Kester
- The Middle Earth Madness 1v1 Tournament is officially over! The final bracket is here. Congratulations to the winners!
1st Place: Dennis1987
2nd Place: kam3L
3rd Place: JoHe
4th Place: Pilbots
5th Place: GimLor
6th Place: Dwelf
7th Place: Hololo
8th Place: dope
Replays of all the matches are here if you want to take a look at some of the strategies used during the games. Thanks to our sponsors, EA LA and Zboard, for making this tournament possible!
- Patch 1.05 info!
- Posted on 7/22/2006 at 6:47 AM by Bendak
- APOC gave out news about the coming 1.05 patch!
And on the BFME2 patch 1.05 front…
We’ve currently got huge balance list in place which is just about locked and loaded. Our QA department is doing the long process of checking and verifying all changes, and beginning their standard testing process. I have been waiting to share pieces of that officially with you until we got closer to this point. As of right now we are targeting mid-August for release, however, given the size of this patch, late August is also a safe assumption. This is a massive game-changing balance patch that will change the competitive landscape, and should improve the balance on many fronts which have been widely talked about. I will keep you posted on specific release time-frame once we have those details finalized.
As for specific balance changes, next week should be a good time where I can start revealing some of the lengthier lists of changes as I did with 1.03 for The Battle for Middle-earth 1.
We’re committed to supporting both the PC and 360 version of The Battle for Middle-earth 2. I’m confident this patch will spark a huge refresh in the gameplay and create a more active competitive community.
I’ll be back with more info early next week, and will start to share some of the balance changes that we have planned. Of course, we’ll look forward to your feedback as always."
- To The Batmobile!
- Posted on 7/21/2006 at 9:39 PM by FD2
- And it's taking us to San Diego! On July 25, the International Comic Convention will be going on, and a truckload of people in Star Trek outfits and Batman outfits will be scurrying about! You might even see Legolas here and there, because BFME2 will have a presentation there! APOC says:
Our producers will be on hand to showcase something that you absolutely cannot miss! No passes are required, just head over to room 5AB, 3PM on Sunday July 25th, and enjoy the presentation with the rest of your fellow Lord of the Rings fans.
I don't know about you, but I'm taking my costume (Spongebob, of course) out of the closet and heading over!
- Poll Round-up!
- Posted on 7/19/2006 at 1:56 PM by Kester
- Out of the 1000+ people who voted in the last poll, Gandalf gathered over 40% of the votes as your favorite Men of the West hero.
The new poll is the showdown between all of the favorite heroes of all the factions from our previous polls. The previous winners are Legolas, Gimli, the Witch-King, Lurtz, Drogoth and Gandalf. Which is your favorite? Vote here!
- I'll Take The Smorgasbord, Please
- Posted on 7/15/2006 at 10:15 PM by FD2
- Because sampling is good. Or, as we techies say, try before you buy! The Xbox360 version of the BFME2 demo is now ready for download through XboxLive! If you're lucky enough to own one, I'd get downloading fast, right through the ease of your controller and the moving of your thumbs. The demo will feature a tutorial, one campaign mission, and one multiplayer map.
- Ten For Fighting...?
- Posted on 7/15/2006 at 9:16 AM by FD2
- Although I may have added a few digits here and there to Five For Fighting, BFME2 is holding out at tenth place on the charts. Our cousin AOE3 is ranked up there at fourth, and old uncle EAW is up there at eigth. BFME2 is a fighter, and if it goes off that charts, it'll go down swinging.
- Bring Them Your Finest Fruits And Vegetables!
- Posted on 7/14/2006 at 10:39 PM by FD2
- ...and you shall be rewarded in turn! The folks over at Zboard are taking a BFME2 Community Survery. Just click the top right tab. Of the people that participate, one will be randomly chosen to get a BFME II-skinned NVIDIA GeForce 7800GTX video card. That's some serious hardware, no pun intended. The sweepstakes is drawing to a close, so get your tractor and move quick!
- Back In...White?
- Posted on 7/14/2006 at 4:57 PM by Film
- I was putting on my AC/DC song Back In Black, when I found this little gem that showed EA is working on an LOTR RPG, Lord of the Rings: The White Council. So, the Council is back, in an anti-climatic white. AC/DC wouldn't like this game, but I'm sure we all will! It will be available for Xbox360, PlayStation3, and PC.
- Replay Reviewers chosen!
- Posted on 7/13/2006 at 4:28 PM by Bendak
- Hey people!
Please welcome Revan and Victor von Doom as new Replay Reviewers of Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven.
Revan and Victor von Doom will now attend to your replay needs and provide the site with quality reviews. Everyone will like your greatest replays being posted, so where are you waiting at? Supply those brand new RR's with your replays and give the community something to watch!
Have a visit at the Replay forum!
- Official Mod SDK v1.00 for LOTR and C&C
- Posted on 7/13/2006 at 4:23 PM by Kester
- Electronic Arts has just released an Official Mod SDK v1.00 for LOTR and C&C, available here.
The Mod SDK includes:
* 3DS Max 7 Autodesk plug-in (will work with 3DS Max 8)
* W3D Viewer
* Asset Cache Builder
* Extensive Support Documentation for various parts of the 3DS Maxplug-in and our W3D viewer
* Tutorials on our in-house art creation processes and rules for models and maps
I'm sure this will be very welcome news for those in the modding community!
- Video Podcast for 360 BFME2
- Posted on 7/12/2006 at 1:31 PM by Kester
- OXM (Official Xbox Magazine) has just created a video podcast about the 360 BFME2. It has lots of video of the game, so if you're curious as to how the game looks on the 360, check it out here!
- Interview at on10.net
- Posted on 7/9/2006 at 1:32 PM by Kester
- Last piece of news from the BFME2 360 Summit is a video interview conducted by Laura Foy of on10.net. This one focuses on the people attending and our websites. Look for BFME2 Heaven's homepage - Pyronix's artwork was featured on the site the day they recorded it. You can watch the video here.
- Hobbiton Pics
- Posted on 7/8/2006 at 3:11 PM by Kester
- We have a new album of pictures taken in New Zealand, at the location where Hobbiton was filmed for the LOTR movies. They are provided by my parents, who for months protested that they only had one or two pictures from the site. You can take a look at them here!
- The Swords of Middle Earth
- Posted on 7/6/2006 at 6:00 PM by Aeneas2
- Calenrauko has written a lore article telling of famous swords of Middle Earth. A few of the swords featured in the article include: Narsil, Anduril, and Sting. You can read it here.
- BFME2 for 360 Available Tomorrow
- Posted on 7/6/2006 at 3:27 PM by Kester
- That's right - Battle for Middle Earth II for the Xbox 360 has shipped and will be available in stores tomorrow! If you've got the 360, this is the chance to try an RTS on it.
This marks the debut of a strategy game available for the Xbox 360 system, boasting a new and innovative console-specific control scheme that allows novice players to enjoy the game’s signature strategy gameplay while giving expert strategy players the flexibility needed to engage in deeply complex battles.Read the rest of the press release.
- Mapmaking Contest!
- Posted on 7/4/2006 at 12:46 PM by Kester
BFME2 Heaven proudly presents a multiplayer skirmish World Builder contest, with the 1st place prize donated by Sideshow Collectibles. The goal is to create a location from either the Tolkien books or the LOTR movies. You can remain faithful to how a place is depicted in the movies, or you can use your imagination and create a scene from the books, as you have it pictured in your mind. Maps will be judged on the usual rating categories: playability, balance, creativity, map design, and story/instructions. For full details, see the contest thread.
- BFME2 Shellmaps
- Posted on 7/3/2006 at 8:25 PM by Kester
- Our friends over at the German site HdRHQ.de have created a couple of new shellmaps for BFME2. They are HQ_Shellmap_Dragon and HQ_Shellmap_Mordor.
Instructions for use from HdRHQ.de: Unpack the files and copy them into your BFME2 game-folder. If you're using another shellmap, you should delete it first.
- Poll Round-up!
- Posted on 7/2/2006 at 2:46 PM by Kester
- In the last of the evil faction hero polls, Drogoth came out way ahead of Gorkil and Shelob as the favorite Goblin hero. Not much surprise there. ;-)
Gorkil [72 votes]
Shelob [104 votes]
Drogoth [571 votes]
This week we're moving on to the final faction - Men of the West. To vote for your favorite hero, go here!