Skip to content
News Archives - June 2006
- Lore Article on Treebeard
- Posted on 6/30/2006 at 8:21 PM by Aeneas2
- Boddah has written another nice lore article. This one focuses on the Ent, Treebeard. You can read it here.
- More BFME2/360 Summit News
- Posted on 6/29/2006 at 11:22 PM by Kester
- Further news from and about the recent BFME2 Xbox 360 Summit has been released:
360 Producers Podcast: Electronic Art's podcast of Aaron Kaufman, VP of Creative Development Louis Castle, Producer Raj Joshi, and Product Marketing Manager Amritz Lay
Community Summit Recap: Aaron's coverage of the event
Official video from Xbox.com
More is sure to come, including another video in which yours truly is interviewed. ;-)
- Guide on Mordor Mirrors
- Posted on 6/29/2006 at 10:50 AM by Bendak
- If you was ever planning to use Mordor in 1v1 games, and wanted to know how to win in a Mordor Mirror, this is your chance!
Our own strategist made a guide on how things work in a Mordor Mirror, be sure to check it out here!.
- Forum Party Tomorrow
- Posted on 6/23/2006 at 11:25 PM by Film
- Join us again! You can view the information for attending here. Have fun!
- New information about the 1.05 patch!
- Posted on 6/23/2006 at 4:01 PM by Bendak
- Hey folks!
APOC revealed some new information about the 1.05 patch.
1. Do you have any knowledge at this time on the progress and contents of patch 1.05?
APOC - Anything I say here is subject to change, but i'll note some balance aspects of the MANY we are doing. Remember, this is just a miniscule fraction, so its tough to compare without seeing the bigger picture. Unfortunately, i cant do that just yet ) But alas, i'll provide some insight a bit...
More info here.
- Middle Earth Center: Open Day
- Posted on 6/23/2006 at 12:58 PM by Blood Phoenix
- Middle Earth Center Are running an open day in which all Modders and Map Makers can come along and exhibit there latest work! The event is going to take place September 1st 2006. More information can be found on the event here!
Thanks Tom8778 for this information!
- Sauron: The Dark Lord of Middle Earth (Part III)
- Posted on 6/22/2006 at 12:41 PM by Aeneas2
- SuicidalScotsman has finished the third and final part of his Lore article on the Dark Lord Sauron. It talks about Sauron's various deeds in the Third Age. You can read the article here.
- BFME2H Fan Art Gallery Artist Highlight
- Posted on 6/21/2006 at 5:14 PM by Lady Arcola
- This week's highlight shines on Pyronix, and the picture "Ranger Scout". The Ranger looks out over the land below, scouting for signs of danger.
Pyronix has several new additions and more great pictures in his album.
You can see Pyronix’s album in our Fan Art Gallery.
- 1v1 Tournament Progress
- Posted on 6/21/2006 at 1:54 PM by Kester
- The Middle Earth Madness 1v1 Tournament is down to the final 8 players! The matchups for this round are: Dwelf vs Kam3L, Pilbots vs dope, Dennis1987 vs GimLor, and Hololo vs JoHe. The updated bracket is here. Good luck all!
- Master of Middle-earth Sweepstakes!
- Posted on 6/20/2006 at 12:07 PM by Kester
In conjunction with Zboard, NVIDIA, Velocity Micro, AMD, and other major sponsors, EA has just launched "The Master of Middle-earth Sweepstakes", the one ultimate sweepstakes to rule them all. They're giving away a very impressive top of the line PC gaming rig by Velocity Micro, complete with a BFME 2-skinned NVIDIA 7800 GTX Ultra Card and NEC Flat Screen monitor. There are also some other incredible prizes such as a framed BFME 2 official poster.
Entering is very simple, to do so go here.
There is also a 2nd part of the sweepstakes, in which they are conducting a "State of the Community Survey". Make sure to click the link in the top right corner of the contest page. Anyone who takes this survey is entered into a 2nd chance drawing for an NVIDIA BFME2-skinned 7800 GTX card. The goal of this survey is to collect your feedback and opinions on the BFME 2 community and a couple questions on Zboard if you own one. Once again, go here!
- BFME2 360 Community Summit
- Posted on 6/19/2006 at 3:38 PM by Kester
- June 7-9 I was invited to participate in a Summit by EA held at Microsoft's Xbox campus in Redmond, WA. We were given the first chance of anyone to play the final version of the new BFME2 for the Xbox 360 before it's released this summer! This new game is the first true RTS to be released for a console, as well as the first for the 360. While at the Summit we got to interview Peter Moore of Microsoft, and Louis Castle of Electronic Arts. And of course, we played the game... a lot!
I took a lot of pictures during the Summit, which are available in our Gallery.
My interview with Louis Castle, in which he answers a lot of questions about the 360 version of Battle for Middle Earth II, can be read here.
And finally, my write-up of the entire event begins here, so be sure to check it out!
- 360 BFME2 now available for pre-order
- Posted on 6/19/2006 at 2:24 PM by Kester
- For a limited time, if you pre-order the upcoming Xbox 360 version of Battle for Middle Earth II, you will receive a code for 3 additional multiplayer maps: Weathertop, Argonath, and Umbar. I think this is only available from EA's store, so if you're interested, check out this page.
- New Mike Verdu Blog
- Posted on 6/19/2006 at 2:19 PM by Kester
- Mike Verdu, Executive Producer, has written a new blog entry at EA's site. He discusses the 1.05 patch, the 360 version of BFME2, and hints at new modding tools for the game. You can read it here!
- BFME2H Strategies Forum Logo Contest Winner
- Posted on 6/19/2006 at 12:49 PM by Lady Arcola
- BFME2H Strategies Forum is sporting a new look.
Members voted this last week for the logo created by GR_Arctic Aurora.
Congratulations to GR_Arctic Aurora! and his winning logo:
The Innsider now graces the forum, come take a look.
- Sauron: The Dark Lord of Middle Earth (Part II)
- Posted on 6/18/2006 at 9:39 PM by Aeneas2
- SuicidalScotsman has written the second part of his Lore article on Sauron. This part covers Sauron's deeds in the Second Age of Middle Earth. You can read it here.
- HeavenGames Convention
- Posted on 6/18/2006 at 12:17 PM by Blood Phoenix
- HeavenGames is considering an event to celebrate game modification and scenario design. The event would contain a whole variety of activities, and would be the perfect place for designers and modders alike to showcase their latest work. You can discuss the possible event here!
- BFME Tournaments Announces 1v1 Tourney
- Posted on 6/17/2006 at 11:32 PM by Kester
- BFME Tournaments is taking sign-ups for their 1v1 World Tournament. This will be a double-elimination tourney starting July 29th, with some great prizes! The guidelines can be found here.
- Lore Article on Mordor
- Posted on 6/17/2006 at 2:58 PM by Aeneas2
- Boddah has written a Lore article on the land of Mordor. It gives a nice description of the geography of Mordor as well as a detailed history of the land. You can read it here.
- Golden Joystick Awards
- Posted on 6/16/2006 at 6:20 PM by Kester
- Voting is on for the Golden Joystick Awards--
The Golden Joystick Awards are officially the world's favourite video games ceremony, originally debuting back in 1982, when Atari, Commodore and Spectrum ruled the earth! Bigger than ever, the Golden Joystick Awards 2006 will feature 17 different award categories, and are the only awards voted for by those who matter - gamers. Here's your chance to vote for BFME2 - you'll find it towards the bottom of the drop-down lists, as "The Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II". Cast your votes here!
- Poll Round-up!
- Posted on 6/16/2006 at 1:01 AM by Kester
- Who would have thought that Lurtz would ever prove more popular than Saruman? Not me! And yet he came out the winner in our last poll.
Sharku: 65 votes
Wormtongue: 24 votes
Lurtz: 426 votes
Saruman: 304 votes
Our next poll finishes the evil faction hero favorites, with the Goblins. Vote here!
- No Forum Party This Weekend
- Posted on 6/15/2006 at 3:09 PM by Film
- Considering this weekend is Father's Day, we'd thought it would be nice to urge you to spend some time with your families, instead of sitting in front of a bland, old, screen.
Have fun, and remember to give presents!
- BFME2H Forumer Awards - Voting
- Posted on 6/15/2006 at 12:33 PM by Aeneas2
- Voting for the first BFME2H Forumer Awards is now underway. Go and cast your ballot here. Good luck to all involved.
- The art world will miss Tim Hildebrandt
- Posted on 6/14/2006 at 11:48 AM by Lady Arcola
- Fantasy illustrator Tim Hildebrandt passed away on Sunday from complications due to diabetes, he was 67.
Part of the collaborative team of The Brothers Hildebrandt, he worked along side brother Greg on art work that spans a period of 40 years. Together and individually they painted countless works of art.
In 1977-1979 they illustrated the J.R.R. Tolkien Lord of the Rings Calendars, as well as the original Star Wars movie posters.
Fans of Tolkien art will recall their whimsical hobbits, ferocious faced orcs, Gandalf’s flowing white beard and Gladriel’s enchanting beauty in the pictures they created of Middle Earth. Condolences to the Hildebrant family and may all keep Tim's art alive in honor of his memory.
Discuss topic here.
- Lore Article on Gandalf
- Posted on 6/13/2006 at 3:56 PM by Aeneas2
- Boddah has written a fantastic Lore article on the wizard, Gandalf. This article gives an in-depth biography of the wizard. If you wish to learn about Gandalf, I highly recommend reading the article, which can be found here.
- HG Main Opens Two New Communities!
- Posted on 6/13/2006 at 11:41 AM by Blood Phoenix
- HeavenGames have opened two fantastic forums for discussion about Command and Conquer 3 and Supreme Commander. These are suspected to be two superb games and are well worth looking into!
You can check out the C&C 3 Forum here, and the Supreme Commander forum here. Good luck in battle!
- Voting Begins for the BFME2H Strategies Forum Logo
- Posted on 6/13/2006 at 12:02 AM by Lady Arcola
- After a week of great submissions we are now on the next stage of our contest.
Voting has begun for the BFME2H Strategies Forum Logo, you can help select a winner from six great selections. We will be taking your votes till midnight Sunday June 18.
Voting is underway here.
- BFME2H Forumer Awards - Nominations
- Posted on 6/12/2006 at 5:10 PM by Aeneas2
- BFME2 Heaven is hosting its first semi-annual Forumer Awards! We have 29 categories that you could win in. Currently up is the Nomination Thread where you may nominate who you think should win the award. You can visit the Nomination Thread here. Discussion for the awards can take place here. Good luck to all involved.
- Lore Article on Gimli
- Posted on 6/12/2006 at 1:00 PM by Aeneas2
- Boddah has written a Lore article on Gimli the Dwarf. The article gives a very nice biography of Gimli. You can read it here.
- Strategies Forum Logo Contest Deadline
- Posted on 6/11/2006 at 5:19 PM by Lady Arcola
- We have had some great submissions this last week. The deadline for our contest is fast approaching. All entries must be in by midnight tonight. Submit all entries in the contest thread. We will then progress onto the next phase of the contest; the judging. Best of luck to all our participants!
- Community Summit
- Posted on 6/11/2006 at 4:35 PM by Kester
- A group of admins from BFME2 and Xbox 360 fansites recently had the opportunity to meet for a Summit for the upcoming BFME2 game for the Xbox 360. The event was held at the Xbox 360 campus at Microsoft in Redmond, and was sponsored by Electronic Arts. It was a lot of fun meeting, talking... and playing the new game. Details of the event (with lots of pictures!) will be released on the 19th, so be sure to check back!
- Forum Party Sunday
- Posted on 6/9/2006 at 8:47 PM by Film
- Join us again on Sunday for another weekly get together and clashing of Rohirrim, Men of Dale, and other mythical creatures from the land inspired by Tolkien. YOu can view the information here.
- Net Neutrality
- Posted on 6/9/2006 at 5:28 PM by Film
- The United States Congress is voting on a law that will allow ISP's to exact a toll on the Internet. The debate, known as the issue of net neutrality, is currently under vote in the Senate. If the Bill passes the Senate, the results could be potentially devastating to the internet, and would allow big gun companies to dominate commercial internet activity. Save The Internet by saying yes to neutrality and preventing a restructuring of the internet. Here is also a tool by Google to help you contact your local Congressmen and Senators.
- Lore Article on Legolas
- Posted on 6/9/2006 at 1:32 PM by Aeneas2
- Boddah has written a Lore article on the Elf, Legolas. It includes a brief history of the Sindar, as well as an informative biography of Legolas. You can read it here.
- World Builder Guide to Displaying Text and Objectives
- Posted on 6/8/2006 at 1:25 PM by Pulkit
- Are you one of the many people looking for the method to display text in your map? Or do you wish to know more about MAP.STR? You've come to the right place! Check out this guide on the new aspect, MAP.STR that accompanies map building in World Builder. Learn how to display text in the game, write down objectives and make them appear in your mission, and more!
Find all of our tutorials and guides on World Builder and Map Designing here!
- The War of the Ring (Part III)
- Posted on 6/7/2006 at 3:44 PM by Aeneas2
- The third part of Aeneas2's Lore article on the War of the Ring is now up. It tells of the ending of the War, starting just after the Battle of the Hornburg, and ending at, well, the end. You can read it here.
- The Deeds of Melkor
- Posted on 6/6/2006 at 8:24 PM by Aeneas2
- Boddah has written yet another Lore article. This one is on the Deeds of Melkor. It tells of topics such as the Lamps of Valinor, the destruction of the Two Trees, and the theft of the Silmarils. You can read the article here.
- History of Men (Volume V): Corrupted Men
- Posted on 6/6/2006 at 2:17 PM by Aeneas2
- Boddah has written his fifth, and possibly last volume on the History of Men. In this volume he tells about the Corrupted Men. He covers the Wainriders, the Balchoth, and the Haradrim. You can read this Lore article here.
- History of Men: (Volume IV): The Northmen and Rohirrim
- Posted on 6/6/2006 at 1:29 PM by Aeneas2
- Boddah has written the fourth part of his History of Men article seris. This one focuses on the Northmen and the Rohirrim. It gives a description of the Northmen as well as a history of the Rohirrim. You can read it here.
- EA APOC's C&C / BFME World Tour
- Posted on 6/5/2006 at 6:26 PM by Kester
- APOC, EA's community manager, is on a quest for world domination! OK, maybe not world domination, but he would like to know how far the BFME/C&C community reaches throughout the world. He's made a map where you can pinpoint your location, and even upload a photo of yourself if you'd like to. Check out your fellow gamers here!
- The Battle of the Fords of Isen (Part I)
- Posted on 6/5/2006 at 4:43 PM by Aeneas2
- Franey_rules has written a Lore article on the Battle of the Fords of Isen. This is the first part. It gives a brief history of the Fords, tells us why the Fords were strategically important to both Rohan and Isengard, and then gives an acount of the First Battle of the Fords of Isen during the War of the Ring. You can read the article here.
- History of Men (Volume III): The Dúnedain
- Posted on 6/5/2006 at 12:54 PM by Aeneas2
- Boddah has written another volume of the History of Men. This one focuses on the Dúnedain. In addition to the history of the Dúnedain, the article has an interesting section of the life of Aragorn II. You can read it here.
- World Builder Guide to Rivers and Oceans
- Posted on 6/5/2006 at 3:10 AM by Pulkit
- One of the two guides in the water-body series, this guide will teach you all about creating water bodies such as rivers, lakes and oceans in World Builder. It discusses the various options and is furnished with tips and important points. All you World builders, check it out here!
- BFME2H Strategies Forum Logo Contest
- Posted on 6/5/2006 at 12:33 AM by Lady Arcola
- Here is your opportunity to design a logo for the Strategies forum, and also pick a fitting name to accompany it. For example, you might think the forum should be called "Middle Earth Rules". If you win, the forum would be renamed: "Middle Earth Rules"(Strategies)
Logos should measure no larger than 300 x 100px, and can be entered in the contest thread. Edit: 300 x 100 is the preferred size, but as long as it isn't larger than the current logo, it is acceptable.
Pictures should match the general color scheme of the forums. Images from the game can be used, but not from the movies.
The winning logo/forum name combination will be used on the forum indefinitely. Staff are welcome to enter.
Deadline for entries is midnight, forum time, Sunday June 11th.
Please post all entries and discussion in the contest thread.
- On to Round Three!
- Posted on 6/4/2006 at 3:23 AM by Kester
- Round Three of the Tournament has begun. We're still awaiting the results of 3 Round Two matches - if you're one of the players in those games, be sure to post the results ASAP! The map for Round Three is Fords of Isen, and you've got til June 10th to play. Results can be posted here, and the updated bracket is here!
- History of Men (Volume II): Númenóreans
- Posted on 6/3/2006 at 3:41 PM by Aeneas2
- Boddah has written another Lore article on the History of Men. This time it focuses on the Númenóreans. You can read it here.
- Podcast with Louis Castle
- Posted on 6/2/2006 at 10:15 PM by Kester
- Aaron "APOC" Kaufman sat down with Louis Castle (VP of Creative Development at EA LA) for a chat about the upcoming Xbox 360 version of Battle for Middle Earth II, "the impact it had on E3, our experience interacting with the community on the Microsoft bus, and some more revelations on the multiplayer front".
The conversation was recorded and is now available as a 12 minute podcast that you can download here!
- History of Men (Volume I): Hildor and Edain
- Posted on 6/2/2006 at 9:03 PM by Aeneas2
- Boddah has written a Lore article on a section of the history of Men, specifically the history of the Edain in the First Age. The article covers topics such as the coming of Men into Beleriand, and the Three Houses of Edain. You can read the article here.
- The War of the Ring (Part II)
- Posted on 6/2/2006 at 4:31 PM by Aeneas2
- The second part of Aeneas2's Lore article on the War of the Ring is now up. It can be found here. It tells of the middle part of the War of the Ring, starting with the Fellowhship's arrival in Hollin and ending just after the Battle of the Hornburg.
- Replay Reviewers wanted!
- Posted on 6/1/2006 at 12:22 PM by Bendak
- Hey folks!
BFME2 Heaven is currently searching for 2 good players who can take on the position of Replay Reviewer.
More information can be found in the Replay Forum
- Poll Round-up!
- Posted on 6/1/2006 at 11:49 AM by Kester
- Gloin was the big loser in the last poll, getting less than 20% of the votes as your favorite Dwarf hero. Gimli and King Dain were more highly rated, with Gimli taking the lead by 56 votes.
Gimli: 384 votes
Gloin: 170 votes
King Dain: 328 votes
Next up is your favorite Isengard hero - vote here!
- May ClanWars results!
- Posted on 6/1/2006 at 10:46 AM by Bendak
- Another month of ClanWars has ended, with EAGLE taking the first place again, with runners up PoW and Diva. Here are the results:
1 EAGLE 38,497 pts. 1,099- 249
2 PoW| 34,502 pts. 783- 490
3 DivA| 33,635 pts. 1,156- 378
4 HFD| 33,378 pts. 890- 504
5 |MaS| 31,870 pts. 568- 311
6 bioXar 31,754 pts. 412- 316
7 2EAGLE 28,276 pts. 365- 151
8 SOS| 27,833 pts. 696- 602
9 [OoE] 27,436 pts. 423- 181
10. .CFD. 27,350 pts. 326- 228
The warrior ranking is also won by EAGLE again, not leaving DivA|Fait^ any chance with a 3000 point difference.
1 Fr0zeN|EAGLE| 17,341 pts 305- 29
2 DivA|Fait^ 14,306 pts 290- 42
3 EotD|BaB00n 13,005 pts 302- 98
4 DivA|CooL^ 12,985 pts 245- 68
5 Tamarisk 12,891 pts 148- 40
6 fischiii|EAGLE| 12,834 pts 200- 42
7 HFD|a^b^c 12,782 pts 283- 134
8 [UGA]andre 12,755 pts 123- 26
9 |MaS|Wi11 12,575 pts 186- 60
10 bioXar|DjMarten 12,468 pts 142- 56