Skip to content
News Archives - April 2006
- Winner of the Middle Earth Toon Contest
- Posted on 4/30/2006 at 4:31 PM by Kester
- Bloodlustfox's toon won the contest by a large margin. His depiction of the expense of a mumukil vs how easy it was to kill it done Mastercard commercial style was easy to identify with. ;-)
Coming in 2nd Place is Empire of Darkness and Enemy of Jupiter follows in 3rd Place. Congrats!
- Modding News
- Posted on 4/29/2006 at 10:36 PM by Kester
- The modding forum saw some action today, with three newsworthy items. First, Victor von Doom did a write-up on the -mod Command, which is "how to create a mod only shortcut to play with and without mods, without the hassles".
Secondly, Blood Phoenix has posted a thread to see if there is interest in having weekly modding discussions on TeamSpeak. If you're interested in learning more about modding or would like to share your knowledge with others, go to this thread to meet up.
And finally, Victor von Doom has posted about his current project, Angband - The Land of Melkor. This mod is to add a new faction to the game, and he reports that the science files and player template are done, and work is underway on the .bse files. Head on over and check out his progress!
- EA Ladder Reset
- Posted on 4/29/2006 at 11:34 AM by Kester
- If you're into tournament play online, you'll have noticed that the official EA ladders have been reset to zero. This is your chance to start fresh!
- Arnor, Part Three
- Posted on 4/28/2006 at 11:36 PM by Kester
- Part three of Revan's article on Arnor is finished and ready for reading! This part looks at the causes and consequences of the fall of Arnor. The conclusion can be found here. Our thanks go to Revan for writing this 3 part series on the Northern Kingdom!
- Voice Contest - New Way to Find Sound Files
- Posted on 4/28/2006 at 12:40 PM by Kester
- Pulkit was messing about in the World Builder and found a new way to access the sound files... a much easier way! There are still a few days left to enter a guess in the Quest for the One Voice Contest, wherein you guess which sound file is that of our own One Dead Angel. To see the new method of finding the sound files, check this out. P.S. if you've already emailed me a guess and want to change it after trying this, you may do so.
- Additions to BP's Mini Guide Series
- Posted on 4/28/2006 at 1:55 AM by Kester
- Blood Phoenix has added several new parts to his modding Mini Guide Series. The three latest are: Installing Modifications, the three roads; Importing Models – 3d Studio Max; and Project Showcasing – The Right Way. To read these as well as the earlier ones in the series, look in this thread!
- Article on the Wizards
- Posted on 4/28/2006 at 12:40 AM by Pulkit
- Ever wanted to know what the Istari actually were? Need more information on the Blue Wizards? Then head over to this article submitted by Slickman_G detailing the Five Wizards, their roles, purposes and actions!
All the submitted articles on LotR can be found here! If you'd like to submit your own articles, then visit this thread.
- EA Poll
- Posted on 4/27/2006 at 5:23 PM by Kester
- I've gotten an email from APOC asking everyone to vote in a poll at EA's official site. What's it about? It's a mystery - you'll have to head over there to find out ;-)
The poll is here.
- Middle Earth Madness - 1v1 Tournament Update!
- Posted on 4/26/2006 at 9:18 PM by Kester
- Exciting news! Zboard has joined EA LA in sponsorship of our Middle Earth Madness 1v1 Tournament! That means lots of great new prizes! To take full advantage of the new arrangement, we are changing the deadline to register to May 12th. We are also removing the requirement to participate in ladder games, so now all you need to do to sign up... is to sign up. You can do so here!
- Arnor the Northern Kingdom Part 2
- Posted on 4/26/2006 at 5:44 PM by Aeneas2
- The second part of Revan's article on Arnor, has been posted. It covers topics such as the decline of Arnor, the civil war, and the war against the Witch King of Angmar. So, what are you waiting for? Read it here.
- BFME2H Ladder Scoring Revised
- Posted on 4/26/2006 at 1:10 AM by Kester
- A big thanks goes out to Mace for reprogramming the scoring system for our Ladder!
The main changes:
1. When you play against an opponent in a higher bracket and lose, you don't lose any points.
2. When you play against an opponent in a higher bracket and win, you gain more points than if you'd played someone in your own bracket.
3. The loss of points for playing someone in your own bracket or lower and losing has been decreased.
The revised scoring table can be viewed here.
- BFME2 1.03 Patch is Live!
- Posted on 4/25/2006 at 8:55 PM by Kester
- Great news from APOC, EA's Community Manager:
As promised, patch 1.03 is now live. To download the patch, simply boot up the game, log in to Multiplayer with your EA account, and you will be instructed to automatically download the patch. Patch 1.03 addresses numerous technical issues including various bugs, desyncs, and connection issues. The patch also introduces a wealth of balance updates to our six factions and Create-A- Hero. Lastly, we have also created 5 brand new multiplayer maps included within the match, 4 of which are new locations in Middle-earth, and 1 of which is the return of Fords of Isen, an extremely popular multiplayer map from The Battle for Middle-earth 1.
In regards to balance, while there are quite a few updates to each faction, this patch is not intended to be a massive balance overhaul. We are starting early work on patch 1.04 which will address some of the more prominent community balance issues. The balance changes instituted in patch 1.03 are a great step forward and should assist in many areas of your strategy with each faction.
Log online and download the patch!
- Ladder Games and Forum Party
- Posted on 4/25/2006 at 6:15 PM by FD2
- Some of you might need to get some ladder games in to enter the Tournament, so you can enter them on our ladder. The reason we need this is to seed the tournament so the games are as fair as possible, and some of the better players don't have to knock each other out in the early rounds.
If you can't find anyone to play against, our next forum party is on Saturday, April 29! You can view the forum party thread for more information.
- Quest for the One Voice Contest
- Posted on 4/25/2006 at 2:38 PM by Kester
- There are five days left for you to enter the Quest for the One Voice Contest and guess how One Dead Angel's voice was used in the Battle for Middle Earth 2 game. At stake are a Zboard and BFME2 Keyset and an EA game of choice, so be sure to enter! Full contest details are here.
- Fantasy RPG Game in Production at EA Games
- Posted on 4/25/2006 at 12:43 AM by Lady Arcola
- Take a peek at EA Games' latest project for fantasy RPG fans. This in-production game has a promising look. Concept art of Trolls, Uruk-Hai, Mines of Moria and more give a glimpse into the production. Check out the site for the game production here: Project Gray Company
- Arnor, the Northern Kingdom
- Posted on 4/24/2006 at 10:43 PM by Kester
- Revan has written a very informative article on Arnor, the Northern Kingdom of Middle-earth. It's been divided into three parts, with the second and third parts to follow later in the week, so be sure to check back for those! This first part looks at the early years of Arnor: its colonization and early kings, as well as its location. Check out this new article here!
- Vote for Your Favorite Toon
- Posted on 4/24/2006 at 11:09 AM by Kester
- The entries for the Middle Earth Toon Contest are in this gallery - check them out then place your vote for your favorite one! Voting takes place in this thread.
- Patch 1.03 details!
- Posted on 4/22/2006 at 2:17 AM by Bendak
- Hey folks!
APOC has posted the official details about the newest patch for BFME that fixes balance issues. Those can be found here.
Let's hope most issues are fixed!
- Forum Party Tomorrow!
- Posted on 4/21/2006 at 9:38 PM by Kester
- Our 7th forum party is tomorrow at 1:00 p.m. EST/forum time. This is a great opportunity to play against others from the forum and arrange for ladder games. Details on the party are in this thread. Hope to see you tomorrow!
- The Silmarils Article
- Posted on 4/21/2006 at 2:55 PM by Aeneas2
- Aeneas2 has written an article on the Silmarils. Topics covered include: what the Silmarils actually are, who made them, as well as a brief history of them. You can read the article here.
- Helm's Deep Article
- Posted on 4/21/2006 at 1:42 AM by Kester
- If you've ever wondered what more there is to Helm's Deep than what was shown in the movies, you've come to the right place! Pulkit has written an article which examines the strategic layout of Helm's Deep as well as its history.
Upon a rock that jutted from the northern cliff, the Hornrock, stood a great fortress that was called the Hornburg since horns blown echoed in the Deep causing fear and dismay to the enemies... more
- The Thursday Thesis
- Posted on 4/20/2006 at 7:44 PM by FD2
- Quite an eventful week we've had, topped off with the announcement of the Middle Earth Madness 1v1 Tournament. For the signups and rules, you can view the Tournament Forum. Also in the area of contests, the Middle Earth Toons Contest is drawing to a close, with the deadline Sunday, April 23!
In the useful forum threads news, or the UFN, as we say, Bendak has created the Strategy Central thread, a place to share strategies and adopt new ones (Tax Free!). In the design sector, FD2 has released a Mixing Terrain Guide, for more dynamic looking terrain. There was also some interesting discussions, inspired by Slickman_G, about Unanswerable Questions, where some hardcore Tolkienists are battling out of that our friend JRR didn't put in his books.
Concluding, the next forum party is Saturday, April 20!
- Middle Earth Madness - 1v1 Tournament
- Posted on 4/19/2006 at 3:27 PM by Kester
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven is proud to announce its first 1v1 tournament, Middle Earth Madness, sponsored by EA LA! This is a 1 vs 1 single elimination tournament starting in May. Guidelines for the contest are here, and signups are here!
- Download Section Revised
- Posted on 4/19/2006 at 11:59 AM by Kester
- We've revised our downloads section a bit, most noticeably creating two new categories for replays - 1v1 Replays and 2v2 Replays. This will make it easier to look for games of particular types. For the leftover odds and ends (i.e. 3-person free for alls), we have the Miscellaneous Replays section.
- Mixing Terrain
- Posted on 4/17/2006 at 6:35 PM by FD2
- Is your terrain in the World Builder not diverse enough? The Basic Mixing Terrain guide, made by FD2, will get your terrain looking more dynamic in minutes!
- Mod and Map Report
- Posted on 4/16/2006 at 4:19 PM by Cassius Allanus
- Samurai007, lordbodin99, cammoted, Nazzie, and age of trickynes have all released new mods:
-Samurai's Ultimate Mod v1.0 includes Samurai007's wall mod, elven guard mod, healing mod, and rebalances almost every unit.
-Splash Screen Pack adds several splash screens to the game.
-Untamed mod mixes up the different factions' units and structures to achieve something interesting.
-T&N's BFME2.5 makes many more units and buildings available for different factions.
-Nazzie's Mini Mod is the prequel mod for T&N's.
-Massive evil army mod allows you to create unlimited Evil infantry like orks or Uruks, and get massive fortresses in under 2 minutes.
jbv3737 and Jeff Head both released maps as well:
-Gladiator Underworld Return of Morgoth V1: Morgoth, The Evil Dark Lord Of The Balrogs, Wishes Now To Take Over All Of Middle Earth, Only The 6 Great Heros Can Face Him In His Own Realm.
-Lefolyn, named by the elves for its beautiful narrow passes and well watered lands. Now the forces of good must battle the evil in this land.
-Tournament Tundra: A Snowy, Cold And Icy Desolate Area, Very Open And Barren Where Only A Few Shrubs Fight To Survive, As Well As The Armies That Come To Fight In This Cursed Region.
- Strategy Central opened!
- Posted on 4/15/2006 at 12:43 PM by Bendak
- BFME2 Heaven has started it's own Strategy Central. Here you can find all sorts of build orders and the hottest strategies.
Though, it is pretty empty at the moment. We need you! We need your strategies! Be sure to have a look and post your best strategy!
- Forum Party Tomorrow!
- Posted on 4/14/2006 at 1:28 PM by FD2
- Join us Saturday, April 14th, for another forum party! Same time, same place. For more information you can view the forum party thread".
- Contest Deadline Extended
- Posted on 4/14/2006 at 1:06 PM by Kester
- With so many people out on vacation recently, we've decided to extend the deadline for the Middle Earth Toons Contest. You now have until April 26th to submit your best screenshot. Details are in this thread.
- News about the 1.03 patch
- Posted on 4/14/2006 at 9:53 AM by Bendak
- The long awaited patch 1.03 is going to be released next week! Here is some official info.
Quoted from APOC:
We've put some heavy balance changes for 1.03, which is looking good for release late next week. However, 1.04 will be a much more massive balance patch.
Patch 1.03 will address various desyncs, we feel confident we nailed the signficant ones affecting your games. I appreciate the thread starters opinion and will see what can be done for future projects.
My comment was directed specifically at the AI, we've put in some improvements for the next patch. And I do not mean signficant improvements, but smaller enhancements that should be noticeable to those who have really paid attention to every detail of the AI.Looks 1.03 will not only fix balance issues, but also some desyncs and improve the AI.
- The Thursday Thesis
- Posted on 4/13/2006 at 11:12 PM by FD2
- We've decided to do The Thursday Thesis on a monthly basis now, instead of weekly because the news would be sparse. A lot of us are on Spring Break here (or just got back from a delayed plane flight five minutes ago, such as myself) and we don't have the time to sift through the news. With that, we'll get into The Thursday Thesis.
Our current ladder leader is Bendak, although Lord somebody held the position for an ammount of time. The Boromir Award this month goes to Cassius Allanus, for continuing to play ladder games with good sportsmanship and charisma.
In the design sector, the Design and Modding IRC Event was successfully held, and Pulkit has added the questions answered to the Design FAQ, while Blood Phoenix has added the questions answered to the Modding FAQ.
To finish it up, the Quest For The One Voice Contest was announced, a contest to identify One Dead Angel's clip in the game. You can view the contest thread here.
- Toon Contest Deadline Approaches
- Posted on 4/12/2006 at 12:59 PM by Kester
- The deadline for submitting entries for the Middle Earth Toon Contest is fast approaching - Friday! The competition is still wide open, so get your entry in soon. Contest details are here.
- Article on the Great Rings
- Posted on 4/12/2006 at 9:07 AM by Pulkit
- Cherub Aeneas2 has submitted an article on the Rings of Power giving details of the history and the powers of the Rings. It helps to clear many questions such as why the Dwarven and Elven Ring-bearers never became Ringwraiths. Check it out here!
- Poll Round-up!
- Posted on 4/12/2006 at 2:21 AM by Kester
- The vote was overwhelming - most people prefer the new resource gathering system in BFME2 over the one in BFME.
How do you like the new resource gathering system?
I like being able to build all over the map (568)
It's okay (165)
I don't care for it (37)
Bring back build plots please (77)
The resource gathering system has changed? (61)
The new poll asks about the heroes of one of the factions, the Elves. Vote here!
- Weekend Events at BFME2H
- Posted on 4/7/2006 at 7:53 PM by Kester
- We have two events on the calendar for this weekend. First is the weekly forum party, now moved to its new weekly time at 1:00 EST/forum time on Saturday. Come join us in TeamSpeak and play some games with your fellow HG'ers! For details, see the forum party thread.
On Sunday join us at 3:00 EST/forum time for the Modding/World Builder Q&A! This is your chance to become more acquainted with modding and mapmaking for BFME2 and to talk to others who have experience with it. Details on this event are here!
- Quest for the One Voice Contest
- Posted on 4/7/2006 at 12:40 AM by Kester
- Last summer One Dead Angel attended the BFME2 Summit at EA LA where he got to be one of the first to preview BFME2. While there he participated in the Death Star Contest – not only participated, but won! What was the Death Star Contest? Well… have you ever wanted to let out a primal scream? ODA did, and won the contest for the best yell. As the winner his yell was recorded and is now a part of the Battle for Middle Earth II game.
So here is the challenge: Identify One Dead Angel’s voice clip from the game. For further details, see the contest thread!
- Art work highlight
- Posted on 4/4/2006 at 11:48 PM by Lady Arcola
- As our Fan Art Gallery grows BFME2 Heaven will be highlighting submitted artwork. This week's highlight is Oliver's picture of Gollum. This picture was one of the very first submissions to our Fan Art Gallery. It took him about 2 ½ hours to complete. Oliver gave us a peek at what inspired him to draw Gollum.
"I just happened to pause my video when Gollum was in picture, and thought what the heck, I'll draw a picture of him. But the trailer pic wasn't really great so I dug up my ol' faithful Return of the King DVD, fast forwarded till I found a decent picture (about 5 minutes from the beginning of the movie, when Gollum's in his cave with the ring in his hand), and then I drew this picture."
You can see Oliver's album in our Fan Art Gallery.
- IRC Info Added for Modding Event
- Posted on 4/4/2006 at 12:51 PM by Kester
- The thread for the Modding/World Builder IRC Q&A on Sunday has been updated with the how-to information for the HeavenGames IRC channel. It's very easy to join in using the java client and also to register with your own username. Details are in this thread.
- Modding/World Builder Q&A Event on IRC
- Posted on 4/3/2006 at 1:56 PM by Kester
- Ever wanted to get started in modding or the World Builder but don't know how? This Sunday is your opportunity to talk to some experienced modders and ask questions. Blood Phoenix, Empire of Darkness, jbv3737, and Lord Bodin will be available to discuss the how-to's of modding and using the World Builder, and also their thoughts on the possibilities for the game.
This event will take place at 3:00 EST (forum time) on Sunday April 9th. It will happen on HeavenGames' IRC channel. Details on the IRC setup will be provided closer to the weekend in this thread. If you have questions in advance, we are also taking them in that same thread. Hope to see you on Sunday!
- Forums are Down, but the Party Goes On
- Posted on 4/2/2006 at 3:14 AM by Kester
- The forums are down due to technical difficulties, but should be back up by Monday morning. We apologize for the inconvenience.
The forum party will still take place at 2:00 EST today (Sunday). Meet in the Game Chat lobby and look for the BFME2H Forum Party games. Password to play is the usual hgrules. See you there!
- Clan War March Results
- Posted on 4/1/2006 at 9:49 AM by Bendak
- The results of the first Clan War tournament are up! On the lead is [xXx], also known as |EAGLE. Last clan is WoA, which our staff member Bendak is a member of.
Congrats to all the clans and their members for making it into the Top 10! More information at www.clanwars.cc.