News Archives - November 2008
- Posted on 11/30/2008 at 12:49 PM by Sir Hugh
- No, not as much a puppet show as we could expect. In an online chat at BilboHobbit.com, Del Toro released a few more details about his approach to the Hobbit films. In it the director said "we will be pushing them to the edge of technology where we will fuse animatronics and cgi into a seamless new art form in creating creatures, i think." He also confirmed that filming will begin in 2010.
- Posted on 11/23/2008 at 3:17 PM by Sir Hugh
- The BFME2H downloads have been graced these past weeks with several submissions.
Demolisher Rush submitted by BoerCoenraad
The following were submitted by Chandomai,
My first online game
My second online game
Men vs Men (7th game)
Maps submitted by miggoycor
An Abandoned Dwarf Mine (with a dale)
Fall of Sauron
Create a Heroes too good to describe by darkmist255
New Hero and Units Mod by dethwaker3
Now, let's see what we have...
- A Fond Farewell; The Final Salute
- Posted on 11/18/2008 at 8:21 AM by Sir Hugh
- It has become evident that Foamy, SuicidalScotsman, Scotty the Fallen, "the anti-mod" who was formerly an angel at BFME2H as well as TWH passed away last Thursday, November 13th. He was an excellent moderator and forumer with a sense of humor such that he could leave you laughing if you were crying. Any respect or sorrow for this fellow human beings death can be expressed in this community threads at BFME2H, TWH or the OD.
- New Multiplayer Service
- Posted on 11/16/2008 at 4:59 PM by Sir Hugh
- A new multiplayer network has been created, Game Ranger, that has added support for the Battle for Middle Earth series among hundreds of others. It essentially works around the EA ingame services utilizing a system very similar to Gamespy Arcade. It provides some settings useful for working around the headaches resulting from network connections (such as routers and firewalls).
- Quick! Find a Shrubbery!
- Posted on 11/12/2008 at 9:05 AM by Sir Hugh
- Lady Arcola is hosting a LotR Fan Fiction Contest from now until the Winter Solstice. Many of the conditions and terms of the contest are negotiable, providing flexibility to enthusiastic contestants at the moment. Share your ideas and discuss the possibilities of what you may write here!
- New RotWK FAQ
- Posted on 11/11/2008 at 2:32 PM by EnemyofJupitor
Nacht Jager has been hard at work and has produced for us an FAQ about the changes and features of the expansion pack. You can find it in the navbar to the left under game info, or click here.
Think you've got what it takes to write some articles? We're looking to expand our RotWK section, and all are welcome. Simply e-mail it to me at eojup (at) hotmail (dot) co (dot) uk, and I'll get back to you on it. Enjoy!
- Few days left for staff applications
- Posted on 11/6/2008 at 3:03 PM by EnemyofJupitor
They've been open for a fair while now, but if you're planning to submit a staff application, the offer will be closed on Sunday- e-mail myself and Hugh with them. Those of you who have sent yours in, please stand by on that date for some potential times for interviews. Thank you.
- Dark Times Indeed
- Posted on 11/5/2008 at 8:39 AM by Sir Hugh
- Mouse-centric media giant, The Walt Disney Company, should purchase gaming mega-publisher Electronic Arts, according to a Wall Street Journal article (subscription required) because of EA's plummeting stock and the company entering fiscal straits in which it has been forced to lay off 540 employees. There is probably no better time for the firm to be purchased. The WSJ believes that Disney would instantly bolster its recent attempts to enter the gaming world if it tried.
"Disney could afford it," the article says. "At June 30, its net debt was $11 billion, roughly 1.2 times Pali Research's estimate of 2008 earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortization. Also, Disney's stock has massively outperformed EA's this year. At a 40% premium, EA would cost $7.7 billion excluding the cash." While such an acquisition could be advantageous and complex, I doubt Disney will do it. Who'd look forward to Battlefield 3000: the Fluffy Bunny Conflict?
On another note, a new Conquest Trailer was released just before Halloween, showcasing even more game footage.
- Vast Downloads
- Posted on 11/4/2008 at 2:58 PM by Sir Hugh
After nearly a month, the BFME2H Downloads has accumulated a sizable selection compared to previous months.
miggoycor has submitted of the new maps, the following are his or version of maps he has edited from the EA campaign.
Hall of the Dwarven Ringbearer
Blue Mountain (converted)
Now, on to the other contributors.
The ultimat sige v1 by Naebofcso's sister
Bad Day at the Beach by Darkmist255
Loke's Free For All Tower Wars - The Dark Night by the veteran Viking Loke
This time you play alone. The player that survive longest wins. 18 hard waves that you need skills to beat, and a bit luck too. I hope you enjoy the map and it would be fun with some reviews this time. Remember that custom heroes are allowed but if your good enought you can beat the map without them. Good luck and may you be the one that survive the dark night.
Gondor's Corsairs by Crusard, which the screenshot is from.
Fight for control of the central island's outposts or clear them out with bombardment, and watch out for the pirates who patrol it! Slay the mighty firedrakes to obtain great bounty. Expand to and fortify the nearby landmasses for the so much needed building space.
"A very long and good game in helms deep" submitted by MannisEi
A 1vs1 Replay, "Really Long Battle" submitted by dethwaker3
a 2vs2 Replay, "First time as isengard", submitted by MannisEi