Skip to content
News Archives - November 2006
- ROTWK: New Trailer and Available Soon!
- Posted on 11/29/2006 at 3:22 PM by Kester
- Electronic Arts has released a new trailer for Rise of the Witch King, with shots of some of the new maps, heroes and units. This trailer is on the eve of the expansion being released in stores. The expansion will be available on Thursday, and will also be available for direct purchase and download from EA Link.
- Final Middle Earth Monday
- Posted on 11/28/2006 at 11:49 AM by Kester
EA is back with the final Middle Earth Monday before the release of Rise of the Witch King. In the news:
Everyone who purchases The Rise of the Witch-king starting this Thursday will receive an exclusive link to a secret website containing an exclusive trailer for Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars. You cannot see this trailer anywhere else but this top secret site! Any RTS and BFME fan will not want to miss out on this. Also now available: 5 new Create-a-Hero screenshots, 3 new wallpapers, and Inside the Battle II: Create-A-Hero HIGH-RES Video. Find it all here!
- Poll Round-up!
- Posted on 11/25/2006 at 12:45 AM by Kester
- Who was the most important member of the Fellowship? Gandalf was, according to the poll! Frodo followed a close second, while Merry was the clear loser, getting just 9 of 1629 votes.
Gandalf [527 votes]
Frodo [460 votes]
Aragorn [278 votes]
Sam [147 votes]
Legolas [95 votes]
Boromir [47 votes]
Gimli [40 votes]
Pippin [26 votes]
Merry [9 votes]
Now close to the release of The Rise of the Witch King, we are asking which features you are most looking forward to. Vote here!
- Create a Hero Video and Screenshots
- Posted on 11/24/2006 at 12:40 PM by Kester
- IGN has released a new video and screenshots about Create a Hero in the Rise of the Witch King expansion. In the video producer Amir Rahimi explains the new CAH system, including how the cost of the heroes will change depending on which powers are chosen. The video can be seen here, and the new screenshots can be found here.
- WotR NetCampaign Tourney Results
- Posted on 11/22/2006 at 2:09 AM by Kester
- The War of the Ring NetCampaign Tournament has reached a conclusion, after many weeks of battles (and forfeits). Congratulations to the final four players, who will each be receiving a Zboard and BFME2 keyset: Legolaim, GeneralVon, Revan, and amule76. Final standings are here.
- Middle-earth Center BFME2 Tournament
- Posted on 11/20/2006 at 10:06 PM by Kester
- Middle-earth Center is hosting a BFME2 1.06 Pre-Rise of the Witch King tournament in anticipation of the expansion's release. The prize is a copy of Rise of the Witch King. You can see more information here.
- ROTWK Community Day!
- Posted on 11/20/2006 at 12:59 AM by Kester
- A few days ago Electronic Arts invited a small group of people from BFME2 fansites to their Los Angeles campus for a Rise of the Witch King community day. We were able to spend the day playing the final build of the expansion pack: the single player campaign, skirmish against AI, and multiplayer. I took some in-game screenshots and photos of the event. I also got details about the ROTWK and changes to the rest of the factions which you can see here.
- New ROTWK Screenshots
- Posted on 11/18/2006 at 9:38 PM by Kester
- BFME2 Heaven has new screenshots of the Rise of the Witch King expansion, taken during the community day event this week. These pictures kick off our ROTWK Player's Screenshots album. Check them out here!
- It's Party Time!
- Posted on 11/18/2006 at 7:28 AM by Blood Phoenix
- Forum party time folks! The time has come to stand and fight - to arms soldiers!
We'll meet up in Open Play - Game Chat Lobby. I'll create a game 15 minutes early named "BFME2 Heaven - Part-ay Down!". The password? hgrules.
If you beat me there, you're welcome to set up a game - just make sure you have the right password.
Place - Game Chat Lobby in Open Play
Time - 2:00PM forum time (Local Time)
So be there tonight, or be some sort of four sided shape!
Visit the thread here!
- New Units for Old Factions
- Posted on 11/16/2006 at 2:51 AM by Kester
- In addition to the new Angmar faction and a new and improved War of the Ring mode, Rise of the Witch King offers something new even for the old factions of BFME2. Some of the units from BFME make a return, while some are all new. One from Mordor:
The Black Riders
The hero-horde of Mordor see the Black Riders combined into a fearsome pack, where they are always most deadly. These fearsome minions of Sauron terrorize enemies on horseback. You can only train The Black Riders at a Level 3 Great Siege Works. You can only have one Black Rider in play at any given time.
- BFME2: Rise of the Witch King has Gone Gold
- Posted on 11/16/2006 at 2:46 AM by Kester
- It's official - ROTWK has gone gold and will be due out at the end of the month.
Electronic Art’s The Lord of the Rings™, The Battle for Middle-earth™ II, The Rise of the Witch-king™ is officially gold and shipping to retailers Nationwide November 28. As the expansion pack to the fan favorite, The Lord of the Rings™, The Battle for Middle-earth II™, this Real-time Strategy (RTS) game will enhance every existing feature and offer players the chance to command the rise of evil in Middle-earth while experiencing the epic battles that took place before those depicted in the New Line Cinema films.
- LOTR Fan Fiction Contest!
- Posted on 11/15/2006 at 9:53 PM by Kester
- Sharpen your pencils and get to writing, because BFME2 Heaven is holding a fiction contest! Entries may be in one of two categories, 1-7 pages, and 8+ pages. Stories must be set in Middle Earth. Full details about the contest are in this thread!
- Middle Earth Monday
- Posted on 11/14/2006 at 3:12 PM by Bendak
- Middle Earth Monday is back!
EA released all info about the units and heroes of Angmar. Check it out here!.
Snow Trolls are native to the frozen northern wastelands and have recently come under the Witch-king’s domination. They are not as big as their southern relatives (the Cave and Mountain Trolls), but they are faster and smarter. They wear fur wraps to insulate them against the cold, and carry picks and shields.Thanks to Odins Servant for posting it so fast!
- BFME2 Ladder to Reset
- Posted on 11/13/2006 at 1:45 AM by Kester
- The official BFME2 ladders will be reset on November 17th, giving everyone a fresh start on the 1v1 and 2v2 tournament games.
- 6 More Screenshots
- Posted on 11/10/2006 at 4:13 PM by Aeneas2
- Middle Earth Vault has six more screenshots from Rise of the Witch-King, including one of a big, bad, blue wolf! Check them out here.
- Angmar Faction Information
- Posted on 11/8/2006 at 11:08 PM by Kester
- Just in over at IGN - faction information about Angmar from ROTWK!
Thrall Master Read more about the Thrall Master and the other units here.
A Black Númenorean emissary who can summon and command a horde of Orc or Hillman class thralls in the service of the Witch-king. These thrall units are extremely weak but can serve as the first line of defense against a variety of enemy unit types.
- Middle Earth Monday
- Posted on 11/7/2006 at 3:25 PM by Kester
EA has released two videos and a new wallpaper for Middle Earth Monday. The videos are about the updated War of the Ring mode and a strategy guide for playing the new Thrall Master. The wallpaper shows the summoning of Kharsh. Check out all the new items here!
- LOTR and ROTWK in Computer Games
- Posted on 11/7/2006 at 1:30 AM by Kester
- The November issues of Computer Games are just now leaving the stores to make room for the December ones, but if you can find a copy, it's worth taking a look. The November issue is a Lord of the Rings-fest, with several articles devoted to Tolkien's works and their adaptations in computer games.
The first article has screenshots and a write-up of Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar, the MMPORG coming out next year. A unique aspect of gameplay is discussed - Monster Play - wherein players can leave their normal Hobbit or other character to take control of a monster long enough to carry on a battle against other good characters.
The second feature covers the history of LOTR computer games, going back to the text-based games of the early 1980s. Shadowfax... The Hobbit... Gandalf the Sorcerer... those games and more are mentioned in this trip down memory lane.
And finally, in a sidebar is a description of EA's upcoming Rise of the Witch King expansion, complete with quotes from APOC, such as, "And wait until you see our Troll Hero Rogash jump high up in the air and slam his mace down to shatter a battalion of troops across the screen. He takes inspiration from Gimli's leaping ability, but that's like comparing the power of Sauron to that of a Hobbit".
Twelve pages in this issue are devoted to LOTR-themed computer games, so try to find a copy before they're gone!
- Replay of the Week!
- Posted on 11/6/2006 at 3:01 PM by Bendak
- This week's best Replay has just been appointed!
Check it out: GeneralVon vs Isengard
For more information on Replays of the Week, or how to score them, check this thread.
- GameSpy ROTWK Review
- Posted on 11/5/2006 at 6:40 PM by Aeneas2
- GameSpy has released a review of Rise of the Witch-King. It contains information on Angmar and War of the Ring mode.
That stylistic feel is matched by Angmar's strategic feel. Angmar is very much a generalist's army. Unlike the goblins, who rely on swarms and speed, or the dwarves, who field smaller numbers of tougher units, Angmar's mixed group of forces rely on adaptability for victory.Read the rest of it here.
- Did Someone Say Screenshots?
- Posted on 11/5/2006 at 4:15 PM by Aeneas2
- Middle Earth Vault has recently released a bunch of new screenshots, including Angmar's power tree! Check them out here.
- ROTWK Preview at IGN
- Posted on 11/5/2006 at 2:03 PM by Kester
- The staff at IGN got their hands on the upcoming Rise of the Witch King, and have released a preview. It has a lot of new details regarding the campaign and gameplay.
Even after playing for only a little while, some of the changes made to the mode as a whole make a big difference to gameplay. Two changes in particular are huge. Persistent armies from real-time battles to turn-based mode mean that creating big armies quick is much easier. The other change is how hero retreats are handled. Instead of having heroes move all the way back across the map to one of their territories, even if they're surrounded by enemies, they've made it possible to trap enemy heroes and kill them permanently. Read the entire article here.
- Poll Round-up!
- Posted on 11/5/2006 at 1:15 PM by Kester
- Which faction got nerfed the most in 1.05? Our members thought Goblins got it most, with Mordor and Elves in a tie for second.
Mordor [155 votes]
Elves [154 votes]
Men [120 votes]
Goblins [171 votes]
Dwarves [75 votes]
Isengard [71 votes]
Our new poll is one suggested in our Poll Ideas thread. Who was the most important member of the Fellowship? Vote here!
- Forum Party!
- Posted on 11/3/2006 at 3:01 PM by Kester
- We're having an impromptu forum party, tonight at 8:30 p.m. forum time! Meet in the Game Chat lobby and look for a game called BFME2 Heaven. Further details can be found here. See you tonight!
- BFME2H in UK PCGamer!
- Posted on 11/1/2006 at 12:36 AM by Kester
- Four maps from BFME2 Heaven have been featured in December's UK edition of PCGamer!
Gladiator Underworld and River Canyon by jbv3737, Hobbiton Party By Psivamp, submitted by mrgeckoextreme, and Fellowship Of The Ring Journey by WKDClown01 are the four featured maps. If you have access to the UK edition of the magazine, be sure to see what has been written about these maps!